Replies

• edited 28 June at 8:26PM
    mentat72mentat72 Forumite
    305 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 28 June at 8:26PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance as I always get stuck at the same point on this:

Current setup:
    Virginmedia phone + TV (basically Freeview channels) + Fibre + Amazon Prime + Netflix
    2 adults who work from home + internet use for streaming/music etc.
    New build 3 years ago.
    Current Bill: £58 p/m

What we use:
    Fibre needed for the above.
    We don't really use the landline at all.
    We don't watch of the Freeview channels but dip in and do use Amazon Prime + Netflix.

As it's a new build it doesn't have a BT box already fitted for the phone.
    As it's a new build it doesn't have a TV aerial in the loft or outside.

So, what would be the most cost effective way to achive 'What we use' that makes sense in the long term.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy - Spike Milligan.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mentat72 said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance as I always get stuck at the same point on this:

Current setup:
    Virginmedia phone + TV (basically Freeview channels) + Fibre + Amazon Prime + Netflix
    2 adults who work from home + internet use for streaming/music etc.
    New build 3 years ago.
    Current Bill: £58 p/m

What we use:
    Fibre needed for the above.
    We don't really use the landline at all.
    We don't watch of the Freeview channels but dip in and do use Amazon Prime + Netflix.

As it's a new build it doesn't have a BT box already fitted for the phone.
    As it's a new build it doesn't have a TV aerial in the loft or outside.

So, what would be the most cost effective way to achive 'What we use' that makes sense in the long term.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Seems you are limited by what cables you have to your house. Have you tried the MSE' s broadband checker to see what's available, if only virgin shows up, your kind of stuck sadly. Maybe consider unlimited 4g/5g plans which you can tether as an alternative. 
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • malc_bmalc_b Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    IMPORTANT HEADS UP

The MSE tool has a limitation that is probably down to the packages suppliers list.  If say you want a landline and some free calls in with the broadband then you might use the tool filters to restrict the results returned.  You might then miss the cheapest deal.  I think some providers just list free calls as a addon rather than specific packages and hence the tool misses the case where deal + addon price from supplier X is cheaper than supplier Y's deal inclusive of the addon.

As an example, for my home I want fibre, 55+MB, and a landline, this returns results from vodafone, onesteam, but if I add the filter of evening and weekend calls free then those results disappear.  However, on vodafone E+W/E is £4 and on onestream you can add it for £2.49For me the John Lewis deal (inclusive E+W/E) was the cheapest at 22.59 but onestream was 24.99 and vodafone was 25.50 so it was close and without the gift cards then onestream would have been the cheapest.

Incidentally I started looking for anytime but the cost of that is £4-£5 over E+W/E and for that price I can have a mobile contract which seems a better use of the money.  The Now broadband deal is not available to me (even though the mse and all the other tools say it is), otherwise I would likely have gone for that at £24.58 including anytime.  I'm switching from Sky so I wonder if that was why I could not order Now.