Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Mangold
    Options
    I followed MSE advice re haggling with our BT Broadband and was given a 50% reduction. Thank you
  • makara
    makara Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done - excellent result
  • Pagw
    Pagw Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made a separate thread about my recent aborted attempt to switch to Plusnet's standard broadband deal, where they seemed pretty disorganised, and thought it's relevant to link to here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6174730/plusnet-sending-router-late-and-not-answering-phones/p1
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mangold said:
    I followed MSE advice re haggling with our BT Broadband and was given a 50% reduction.
    From what price to what price and for what service?
  • jean17
    jean17 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have not used MSE site in a while, things have changed a LOT, hardly any decent offers on here at all.
    I was one of lucky ones who got a years Sky broadband for £5.38
    moneysavingexpert.com/news/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband/
    and after that a deal for £24 for the year from talk talk which included network plug extenders and a tv box,
    after that I had a year on Sky for £49 for the year and the worst deal I got was Sky for £99 for the year.
    Now it seems that there is no competition, they seem to price ADSL broadband artificially high at £13.80 to try and get you to jump to fibre for £16 to £20.
    The deals on MSE seem to be via a separate company that appears to be MSE group owned and always seem to be offering a pathetic £50 amazon card.
    Is it that MSE is just not showing deals or is it as some have said that all the mergers the competition and markets authority have let happen ruined the market?
    Even mobile companies are not competing on data because they have merged with broadband company
    BT own the wholesale, they own Plusnet and EE, it seems that there may be a potential for a nod and a wink on not competing.
    This market used to be really competitive, now the prices are obscene, nobody uses a land line anymore so it should be a lot lot cheaper and we are still sold this BS about line rental.
    Does anyone know of any really good deals here or elsewhere?

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of other comparison sites .
    Landline   no landline then how is broadband going to arrive ??
    Line Rental is paid for the data line not for a line for phone calls .
    Personally i believe the continual drive for cheap cheap means poorer service and slower rollout of FTTP .
    Sky  Talk Talk Zen  A&A and the many many other ISPs are not owned by BT .
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jean17 said:

This market used to be really competitive, now the prices are obscene, nobody uses a land line anymore so it should be a lot lot cheaper and we are still sold this BS about line rental.
    Does anyone know of any really good deals here or elsewhere?

Try TalkTalk and haggle.  I’m getting fibre, plus all UK calls, mobiles included, plus call divert (usefully transfers calls from landline to mobile without any cost) plus various other enhancements for £21 pm including line rental after a lengthy haggling session.  I’m sure others will have got even lower prices.
  • cloughja
    Options
    The article seems only for new customers which let's face it is nobody! I'm with VM and cannot get a BT line to my house. I'm paying £51 for 200MB broadband, TV and a phone with free weekend calls. It seems excessive to me as new customers are getting the same thing for around £30. It seems though that unless I cancel and live without the service for at least one month (during which time my kids will kill me) I can't get a better deal with VM. I've phoned up and threatened to cancel which reduced the bill from £57 but they were not willing to go lower.
  • cloughja
    Options
    tjfs said:
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but if you call Virgin Media Customer Services, ask to speak to Customer Retentions, then say you're thinking of TalkTalk they should offer you their competitive package which is £20 a month for TV, 2Mbps broadband, phone line rental AND unlimited free phone calls to 01/02 numbers. Handy if you're in an area which TalkTalk don't serve ;-)

Tim
    I guess you mean 200Mbps. I tried this and it certainly didn't work for me. I'm paying £51

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if the £18.99 a month plus £75 plus net deal is compatible with line rental saver? It works out £17.49 a month if you pay £209.88 up front for the year.
    I went through the link and it doesn't seem to ask at any point, but either I missed it or I wondered if you could then phone up and pay the line rental saver and still get the £75 cash back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback