Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread - Page 188

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

edited 14 June 2010 at 2:34PM in Broadband & Internet Access
1.9K replies 557.9K views

Replies

• makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    LeesArt said

I used Amazon for a while, I did not like the interface, I prefer ROKU because it starts with a home page showing the apps you have installed, with Firestick you jump into Amazon then have to use something after navigating, it also had a habit of losing setups so had to be done again.

I thought you were going to give your father the TV with it built in but if you wish to remain as you are I can't fault the Roku

Well, well...I just realised that our 2019 TV that I thought was so pathetically basic that it did not HAVE iPlayer etc DOES have those things...when I read the "Asked questions" about it on Amazon.co.uk   - and saw Sony listed all the default apps in the TV, after another customer queried them...

...so I wrote on Amazon that I have this TV, and don't know how to find all those apps...

Sony wrote back on how to access them...and the reason I could not find them is because unlike my easy-to-navigate PC room's 2010 Smart TV...the menu system (and remote) on this 2019 TV is HORRIBLY unintuitive...

Now that I followed their instructions...I found it DOES have BBC iPlayer / All4 / My5 / ITV Hub   - as well as several other On Demand apps...such as this one for Indian content, that I have never heard of -

www.yupptv.com/catchup

...so navigated through "Yupp" on the TV...and found while a LOT of it is Paid for / Subscription Indian channels (some of which are also Paid for channels on Sky...)   - there are also loads of FREE programmes too...in a layout style similar to Netflix (but with Indian content)...although I have to say that using the Sony 2019 TV's remote to navigate is awful...I hope the "Roku" remote and interface is easier to use for my parents...

YES...I was going to swap my PC room's 2010 TV with my Father's 2010 TV   - but I think "Roku" will be a more practical solution...

I will buy the Roku Express HD stick...put it in our 2019 TV (just to get a flavour for it...and to ask my Mother if I should buy one for the 2019 TV too...as that's the TV she uses...)

- and then move the Roku stick into my Father's TV, and explain the navigation to him.

I am guessing Roku has FAR more channels / content than the rather limited amount of "default" apps that the 2019 Sony TV has...

P.S. I hear you on the negatives about the Amazon stick, as others have said similar to you on Youtube videos comparing both sticks...and to be honest I don't like the look of the Amazon's remote...e.g. it doesn't have the huge shortcut app buttons (like "Netflix") that the Roku remote has.
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    An offer worth checking out   - but be quick...expires in TWO DAYS -

QUIDCO have temporarily hiked their cashback for EE Broadband and Fibre (compared to Topcashback) -

£120 CB for Broadband

£157.50 CB for Fibre @ £24 for 18 months (36 Meg average) = £15.25 per month Net

£172.50 CB for Fibre Plus @ £28 for 18 months (67 Meg average...equivalent to Sky's "Superfast fibre") = £18.42 per month Net

P.S. - I WAS going to take the deal for the Fibre Plus @ Net £18.42 per month...

...until I found that there is a £5 additional charge per month for "Call Plus" (which gives you Call rejection and other features)   - which Sky's "Talk Shield" at their offer to me of £23 per month includes ANYWAY...

...so if we went the "EE" route, we would be paying a Net of £23.42...per month!  And Sky's talk shield has been a true GOD SEND since we got it...all cold callers hang up rather than go through the motions...so the phone never even rings...

But the MAIN reason I have decided NOT to take the offer with Quidco / "EE" is because apparently our phone line is incompatible -

"It looks like the landline number you've provided isn't compatible for EE Broadband. This means you will need an engineer visit and you will be issued with a new telephone number"

- this is way too much hassle for my elderly parents...as all their elderly friends only know our 46 year old original number...and they all use landlines rather than mobiles...

The final reason I decided to stick with "Sky" for £23 Superfast Fibre is...that old chestnut...Cashback is always a RISK...if we don't get it back, we will be paying £28 per month to EE...£5 MORE than Sky...and that is WITHOUT adding the "Call Plus" feature of £5 a month...which would be £33 per month...

• edited 18 February at 3:51PM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 18 February at 3:51PM
    makara said:
    LeesArt said:

If it were me I would be saying to Sky,

"you were prepared to cancel my current obligations if I went with another contract, we have had a big review of our budget and decided to cancel TV, but if you hold us to out previous few months till June you will lose our Broadband contract too.  I can get much higher spec for less than you are asking, so speak to whoever you need to or else you will have the contract till June but we will never buy Sky again"

You have a 14 day cooling off period, so call them about this June thing and say you will go to Vodafone or whoever if they hold you to the June contract, don't ask don't get.

Thanks for the tip...

Seeing as "EE" are on a par with Sky in terms of least Broadband complaints (from the link I pasted earlier)   - I checked their deals, and see they have Fibre for £24 a month

(ok...it's £24 for their lower speed one of around 36 Megs, so about half of what Sky's is for my line...but obviously I won't mention that "minor" detail to Sky...as EE's "on par with Sky" Fibre of 70 Megs is £28 per month...so not that competitive...)

- and for the £24 version you get £100 cashback from Quidco - making a NET cost of £18.44 per month   - so about a fiver less than what Sky offered for their 70 Meg fibre.

I guess the worst Sky can do is call my bluff and say -

"We can't release you from your TV contract...so if you want to join EE for the Fibre...go ahead..."  

- but at least I'll know either way.

P.S.  If you don't have a landline, how is your Broadband delivered?  Ignore my question if that is private.

Good news...in fact GREAT news...

I literally was about to pick up the phone to "Sky" to discuss early cancellation (with no Fees) with them...when the guy I first spoke to from their "Win Back" team called ME that exact second...!  Talk about FATE!!

I told him the various discussions I'd had with Sky since then...and also ran past him the "Ditch Sky for Fibre, and move to "EE" for a post-Cashback price of £5 less per month for Fibre...IF Sky don't let me leave their TV Service.

However he checked, and found that if I phone their TV Cancellations NOW...the only cancellation fee will be £14.35   - meaning I would only be tied in for another month (at £30), due to 31 days notice needed...rather than continue paying 4 months x £30 up to the natural end of the 18-month contract in June (i.e. £120).

However he also worked out that once the "pro-rata" stuff kicks in after my TV gets terminated...I will be getting a refund of more than the Cancellation Fee.

He said it might also be worth moving to "EE" for the Fibre, if I can get it for £5 cheaper (see my new post above about the current "Quidco" deal)   - but as explained...due to not wanting to change our landline number after 46 years (and with Sky including "Talk Shield"...whereas "EE" charge you £5 more for their equivalent of it...plus Cashback never being guaranteed...) - we may as well continue our upgrade to Fibre with Sky for £23 a month.

He also said to make sure the £40 Credit offer that he originally had made to me (for upgrading to Fibre AND taking "Sky Q") was put on to my account by the other guy (someone in "Broadband Cancellations" I had chatted to on February 12th) BEFORE I cancel the TV and / or the Fibre upgrade...but I told him that other guy had ALREADY given me the £40 Credit on my account...with it effectively paying for our most recent bill of £39.xx totally...

So I will be getting my Father a "Roku Express" stick with its remote control to convert his TV to Wi-Fi   - then will see what's available for FREE on Roku (in terms of Indian channels)   - and then possibly try "Netflix" on both TVs for a month...to see if my brother and my parents think it's worth it...or if we can stick to free TV.
  • edited 18 February at 12:51PM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 18 February at 12:51PM
    Forgot to paste the Quidco / EE link - 
    www.quidco.com/ee-home-broadband

• edited 18 February at 10:54PM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 18 February at 10:54PM
    <deleted post>
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 18 February at 2:14PM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 18 February at 2:14PM
    makara said:
    Good news...in fact GREAT news...

I literally was about to pick up the phone to "Sky" to discuss early cancellation (with no Fees) with them...when the guy I first spoke to from their "Win Back" team called ME that exact second...!  Talk about FATE!!

I told him the various discussions I'd had with Sky since then...and also ran past him the "Ditch Sky for Fibre, and move to "EE" for a post-Cashback price of £5 less per month for Fibre...IF Sky don't let me leave their TV Service.

However he checked, and found that if I phone their TV Cancellations NOW...the only cancellation fee will be £14.35   - meaning I would only be tied in for another month (at £30), due to 31 days notice needed...rather than continue paying 4 months x £30 up to the natural end of the 18-month contract in June (i.e. £120).

However he also worked out that once the "pro-rata" stuff kicks in after my TV gets terminated...I will be getting a refund of more than the Cancellation Fee.

He said it might also be worth moving to "EE" for the Fibre, if I can get it for £5 cheaper (see my new post above about the current "Quidco" deal)   - but as explained...due to not wanting to change our landline number after 46 years (and with Sky including "Talk Shield"...whereas "EE" charge you £5 more for their equivalent of it...plus Cashback never being guaranteed...) - we may as well continue our upgrade to Fibre with Sky for £23 a month.

He also said to make sure the £40 Credit offer that he originally had made to me (for upgrading to Fibre AND taking "Sky Q") was put on to my account by another guy (in "Broadband Cancellations") I had chatted to on February 12th was put on BEFORE I cancelled the TV and / or the Fibre upgrade...but I told him that the other guy had ALREADY given me the £40 on my account...effectively paying our most recent bill of £39.xx totally...

So I will be getting my Father a "Roku Express" stick with its remote control to convert his TV to Wi-Fi   - then will see what's available for FREE on Roku (in terms of Indian channels)   - and then possibly try "Netflix" on both TVs for a month...to see if my brother and my parents think it's worth it...or if we can stick to free TV.

A further update...and I am glad that LeesArt put the fire in my belly...as...

I just phoned Sky "TV cancellations" - and the lady I spoke to said that merely wanting to cancel early "because we don't watch paid TV" is NOT a valid reason to be allowed to cancel early.

And also apparently (and this was VERY odd...) she seemed to "not be able to find the notes" of the "Win Back" team guy...who had only just spoken to me an hour earlier.

I then got upset, and told her some things (some true, some maybe "white lies") -

- that her colleague in "Win Back" team had told me I COULD terminate - and as he was the last person I spoke to...what he says is CONCRETE......and what Sky were NOW doing was like ME agreeing to £30 a month for their TV...and then my brother calling them, telling them we will only pay them £15 per month...!

- that I have now clicked through "Quidco", and NOT gone ahead with "EE" Fibre...so what MIGHT happen is that if I NOW go the Quidco / EE route for Fibre...it could be the earlier click-through and the new click-through mean I do NOT get the £172.50 cashback...meaning in effect I will be paying "EE" £5 MORE instead of £5 LESS than for Sky's Fibre...

- that I have now bought a "Roku" stick for my father's TV...which might be a waste of money...

She was adamant...but I told her it's not my fault if everyone in Sky gives me conflicting information all the time...so she eventually spoke to her manager, and agreed to cancel for £14.35 - with 31 days notice.

Then more possible lies...this time from the "Win Back" guy...when he called (earlier today) he told me that once my Sky TV subscription gets terminated...that if me or any of my family accidentally try to Pause or Rewind live TV on the Sky+ remotes...the "Sky+" features will activate...charging us £10 per month!

The lady in TV cancellations said that is mad...as EVERYONE who leaves Sky's paid TV (but keeps their Sky+ boxes to watch Free to Air) HABITUALLY without thinking press Rewind and Pause after the cancellation...and there is NO WAY that can even happen...as the Sky+ feature de-activation is done via the VIEWING CARDS by Sky...so pressing a button on the remotes in NO WAY way can activate it back, without Sky being involved!

I did also leave a feedback that the left and right hands in Sky all need to have the same story for customers...as it gets really tiring being told different things.

But all's well that ends well...and it pays to NOT be Stiff Upper Lip when dealing with big companies ;-) - British diplomacy lets us down...
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    And also apparently (and this was VERY odd...) she seemed to "not be able to find the notes" of the "Win Back" team guy...who had only just spoken to me an hour earlier.

Re. the above point...forgot to mention...that when I kept being told "We can't find the other guy's notes" 

- I said to them "But Sky records ALL conversations...so even if you can't find his typed notes...all you have to do is play back his phone call with me..."

The person on the other end went very quiet...and it was at THAT point that Sky granted my wish...!  Funny that, eh!
  • Eddie_DickerEddie_Dicker Forumite
    4 posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Why does it seem to be cheaper to get a broadband and line rental package; than just broadband.
    i have a BT land line, rarely used but would rather keep it; due to the amount of people who know the number.
    i have a mobile phone, even more rarely used (don't like the things) and on the cheapest contact i can find; so no wish to change that.
    i don't download lots of movies, TV or music, though i do occasionally use spotify.
    i mostly use the internet for purchases and watching u tube videos.
    I just want something cheap and reliable
    am currently with sky for TV and broadband (separate contacts though), as i used to be with B-there, who i thought were miles better.
    i wasn't happy when they were bought out by sky, but never did anything about it.
    who is currently the best/cheapest for just average speed broadband
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    As far as I know ALL providers are now Broadband AND Line Rental only.  
    I was (until moving to Sky BB + Line in 2018) with B.T. for my line, and with Orange (EE) for my Broadband...but the only reason that happened was because I was with Orange broadband since BEFORE the "rule" that Broadband and Line must now be with the same provider.
    As soon as I had to move from Orange (because unknown to themselves and to me...their system mistakenly kept giving me a discount I wasn't supposed to have...then it caught up with the mistake, and the new price was a bit higher than Sky's) - which was mid-2018 - NONE of the providers I researched were giving separate BB and separate line.
  • Josey_1964Josey_1964 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi, looking at leaving Virgin media as costs far too high / service hit & miss and they wont come down much at all via retentions.
    Husband will only have Virgin or BT fibre. The current BT deals ends tonight on a 2 year deal £27.99 a months plus £5 calls.
    Do I go for this today and if tomorrows deal is any better, cancel this one. Anyone have a crystal ball on them please.