Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread - Page 186

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

edited 14 June 2010 at 2:34PM in Broadband & Internet Access
1.9K replies 558.2K views

Replies

• pallymanpallyman Forumite
    95 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    AmitoSan wrote: »
    Hi people

Is there anybody here who has actually received Amazon Vouchers from BroadbandGenie ???

I was about to go for the Vodafone Superfast 1 deal where you are supposed to receive a £120 Amazon voucher from BroadbandGenie, but there seem to be a lot of people on here who have had problems getting similar vouchers.

I wondered if anyone can say, 'Yes - it worked for me!!!' ???

I spoke to Vodafone and they claim to know nothing about the offer and said there are lots of scams around that seem similar to this (though stopped short of saying this was a scam).

So, has anyone done this deal (or a similar one) and received their vouchers okay?

Anyone? :question: :huh:
    I think its a case you take your chance,If you go on top cashback and look at reviews from the drop-down menu pick Newest First,Hope it goes well for you.
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    makara said:
    With my 18 months of Sky Talk + Broadband deal (with Sky TV running 5 months adrift) expiring today, my bill went up from £48 per month to £61.

I called Sky, and the agent told me for a one-off fee of £10 (fair enough) he could if I re-entered into an 18-month contract for the Broadband and Talk put my entire package (TV + Broadband + Talk) at £50 per month, instead of the £61 I just paid for January.

However here is where I am confused...he told me he would "upgrade" my Broadband to "Sky Broadband Essential" (which will apparently activate tomorrow) - and it will be a bit faster than my current Sky Broadband.

But googling...it seems "Sky Essential" is merely a PACKAGE name...for TV + Broadband + Phone...and NOT a slightly faster version of Sky Broadband!

Have I been mis-sold?

P.S. Even if the Broadband from tomorrow is the same speed...I guess I don't mind if the agent was being "economical with the truth" about what "Broadband Essential" is...as long as my speed doesn't REDUCE...
    An update...and a great outcome...

I googled / spoke to other people in Sky - and it was confirmed that "Broadband Essentials" is NOT a faster version of ADSL - but just the package's new name.

I then told them I wanted to cancel my renewal (as I was well inside the cooling off period of a month) - and opted for the £25 Superfast Fibre - but wanted to go through Topcashback to get £65 back as an upgrading customer.

However regardless of whether I went through TCB OR directly on the Sky website - if I was signed in to Sky, the links to upgrade WOULD NOT open...telling me I needed to PHONE...but then if you phone, you don't get Cashback...

I spoke to several people at Sky to get this fixed - and informed them the Sky forums are full of existing customers having the same issues (whether for Broadband or TV or Mobile upgrades) - and no one in Sky seemed to know what to do.

I got fed up, and found the "Broadband Genie" deal on MSE - for £120 Amazon voucher if you take either of Vodafone's Superfast Fibre 18-month contracts - so signed up for the slightly more expensive Superfast 2 (average of 63 Megs) - as Sky had told me THEIR Superfast Fibre for my line would be in the late 60s to early 70s.

However I read lots of horror stories about Vodafone's Fibre speed being well below what was advertised - and that the Wi-Fi drops all the time - and many people on MSE seem to be complaining about not getting their Amazon vouchers...

So luckily...as soon as I started the transfer process, Sky "outbound retentions" called me - and made me a counter offer -

Fibre for £23 per month for 18 months - with £40 Credit put on my account = a Net of £20.78 per month.
    I told them the Vodafone equivalent (after the £120 Amazon voucher) was £17.28 per month.
    So they offered me a free upgrade to "Sky Q" television - with my current multi-room at £13 per month reducing to £10 per month.

However I am currently getting the MAIN Sky TV for £17 per month...but when that 18-month contract ends in June 2020, it would go up to the normal £27 - and then the MOST discount I would get would be £5 (so having to pay £22 rather than £17).

The very helpful Outbound guy told me he could do no more - but told me to phone the "Value" team in Sky - and if they couldn't help, ask to be put through to "Cancellations".

Value could no nothing more - so passed me to Cancellations...

The lady I spoke to understood that I would only get the Net price same deal as Vodafone up to June - and when my TV contract renewed (from June), the price would increase to £22 per month, or £5 more overall.

So she agreed to my idea to terminate the current main TV contract - and then to start ALL THREE things (new Fibre + old Main room + old Multi-room) TOGETHER this month - and I would in return sign up for another 18 months.

She also knocked another £1 off the Multi-room - so "outbound" made it from £13 to £10   - and now it's gone down again to just £9 per month

- with the Main TV box being KEPT at £17 for the next 18 months (barring the annual slight price increases Sky always have)

- and the Fibre at £23 - with a £40 Credit on top

- plus a brand new "Sky Q" Main box, and one Mini box (for the multi room), and new version Sky Q hub / router, and an Engineer coming to do the full install - all at NO COST, as I'm a V.I.P. (due to my 12 years with Sky).

I of course cancelled with Vodafone.

It pays to show you're serious by leaving - and it pays to haggle :-)

• edited 15 February at 7:19PM
    LeesArtLeesArt Forumite
    56 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    edited 15 February at 7:19PM
    ooh WOW! £1 off multiroom, what a scam.

I appreciate your saga means a lot to you but I do question why people are prepared to put up with this sheeeeet from Sky of charging you for a multiroom

The money they charge for Multiroom would pay for 2x 4 screen netflix accounts and you are grateful for £3.

I weaned myself off Sky, then off Freeview, these days you can buy Netflix and do not have to pay a TV Licence (as I have not needed to pay legally for over 8 years).

They have you all chasing your tails thinking you got a good deal because they invented charges for things that are not even relevant.

For example Line Rental when you do not have a telephone line ("oh but now this means broadband line" say the sycophants).

Or a payment to end service and a payment to start a service when it could be just a press of the enter key.
    Invent a charge then offer to discount it, what a scam.

So if I read your post right you are paying £40 a month plus £13 for a TV licence and you are locked in for 18 months so £954!!!

Yes you are definitely a VIP and you think you actually got a good deal.
     I pay zero a month.  Granted I do not have Sky, but I do not want it or need it.
    Join the Revolution, F Sky, Virgin, Plusnet & TalkTalk.  Save the BBC no live TV and No BBC iPlayer so no licence, then move essential BBC to proper public service broadcasting funded by taxation or a charge on these other providers and move BBC to Subscription over 5 years.

As for Broadband, when there was competition you could pay £24 a year, one year Sky charged £5. 
    It pays to seriously leave, forget haggling, forget deals, the broadband market is broken :-)
  • edited 16 February at 12:36AM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 16 February at 12:36AM
    Hi, Lee

Thanks for your informative post.

Admittedly I know next to nothing about Netflix - but if posting my self-congratulating news will lead to me saving money, then it's a good thing :-)

Here are my family's circumstances

- me, my brother, my mother, my father in the same house (my father being the owner).

1)   As far as I know, my Father being <over 75> doesn't pay / hasn't paid for a TV license for years...

2)   There are 3 x HDMI TVs in our house - one in my PC room - which has our first Sky box, which I changed to FREE-SAT years ago...as I don't really watch TV in this room...note that it DOES still get FREE Indian channels too (this will become relevant as you read on...)   - and since I barely turn that TV on, I don't need Netflix or Sky on it...

2a)   The main Sky TV is a  2019 model - with a "Netflix" button on the remote - presumably meaning no need to attach a separate Netflix Set Top box (or whatever they're called)? 

2b)   My Father has a 2010 TV with Sky multi-room in his bedroom   - presumably we would need to buy a Netflix box of some sort for it?  It doesn't have a Netflix button like the 2019 TV...
    Actually I'm not even sure if his TV is capable of Internet...or Wi-Fi...which would mean we wouldn't be able to download Netflix to it?

3)   Both my (very elderly) parents watch (as far as I know) a mixture of the Paid and Free Indian channels
    - my Mother uses Sky+ to series-record SOME Indian programmes (while others she watches live)   
    - my Father has NEVER used Sky+ to record.

4)   Sky recently told me that if we were to fully cancel our TV subscription - we will be able to keep the 2 x Sky+ boxes - and use them as "Free-Sat"   - the only thing they will disable apart from the Paid channels is the Recording functionality.

5)   Would my elderly non-technical parents be able to navigate / watch Indian programmes easily on Netflix?  And does it have series linking (or an equivalent)?

6)   My brother and I don't watch Sky One or such channels - we just watch the Terrestrials / Freeview mostly   - and NONE of the family watch Sports...

7)   At a guess   - the best Netflix subscription for our household would be the £9 one - for 2 x TVs...?  I can always swap the
    Wi-Fi capable TV in my PC room with my Father's TV (they are both 2010 models, but mine was a bit newer).

8)   Although we have managed fine on ADSL 14-Meg broadband for over a decade   - since we got the 2019 TV...my brother uses it for its built-in Youtube functionality all the time   - which as you'd expect makes my PC or Android phone's Wi-Fi streaming lag (not terribly, but sometimes noticeably)   - so I DO want to take the plunge to Fibre Broadband (Sky's Fibre speed will be about 70 Meg)...as that will also presumably assist in Netflix downloads too.  The average NET price of such a Fibre (after Cashback or voucher or loyalty rebates) seems to be between £15 to £25 depending on provider / deal   - so let's say Fibre for about £20 a month.

9)   Add in Netflix £9 package (for 2 screens)  - let's say £30 in total, which does sound very good...although my concern is my parents may not get the breadth of (and ease of) the Indian channels...I can't really see them browsing or navigating menus with ease...but then maybe it's easy on Netflix?

• edited 16 February at 12:32AM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 16 February at 12:32AM
    "my parents may not get the breadth of (and ease of) the Indian channels...I can't really see them browsing or navigating menus with ease"

My father in particular...he has severe shaking of his hands, so pressing 3 buttons to change channels on Sky is difficult...what to say of navigating through on-screen menus on a service like Netflix...!
    So it's not just a question of pricing - but *accessibility*...
    ...in which case Sky (at least in terms of its *non-free* Indian channels) is what my parents need...
    My father's never touched a computer   - we're not all fortunate enough to be able to adapt to using Streaming services...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • LeesArtLeesArt Forumite
    56 posts

makara
    said:
    Hi, Lee

Thanks for your informative post.

Admittedly I know next to nothing about Netflix - but if posting my self-congratulating news will lead to me saving money, then it's a good thing :-)

Here are my family's circumstances

- me, my brother, my mother, my father in the same house (my father being the owner).

1)   As far as I know, my Father being <over 75> doesn't pay / hasn't paid for a TV license for years...

2)   There are 3 x HDMI TVs in our house - one in my PC room - which has our first Sky box, which I changed to FREE-SAT years ago...as I don't really watch TV in this room...note that it DOES still get FREE Indian channels too (this will become relevant as you read on...)   - and since I barely turn that TV on, I don't need Netflix or Sky on it...

2a)   The main Sky TV is a  2019 model - with a "Netflix" button on the remote - presumably meaning no need to attach a separate Netflix Set Top box (or whatever they're called)? 

2b)   My Father has a 2010 TV with Sky multi-room in his bedroom   - presumably we would need to buy a Netflix box of some sort for it?  It doesn't have a Netflix button like the 2019 TV...
    Actually I'm not even sure if his TV is capable of Internet...or Wi-Fi...which would mean we wouldn't be able to download Netflix to it?

3)   Both my (very elderly) parents watch (as far as I know) a mixture of the Paid and Free Indian channels
    - my Mother uses Sky+ to series-record SOME Indian programmes (while others she watches live)   
    - my Father has NEVER used Sky+ to record.

4)   Sky recently told me that if we were to fully cancel our TV subscription - we will be able to keep the 2 x Sky+ boxes - and use them as "Free-Sat"   - the only thing they will disable apart from the Paid channels is the Recording functionality.

5)   Would my elderly non-technical parents be able to navigate / watch Indian programmes easily on Netflix?  And does it have series linking (or an equivalent)?

6)   My brother and I don't watch Sky One or such channels - we just watch the Terrestrials / Freeview mostly   - and NONE of the family watch Sports...

7)   At a guess   - the best Netflix subscription for our household would be the £9 one - for 2 x TVs...?  I can always swap the
    Wi-Fi capable TV in my PC room with my Father's TV (they are both 2010 models, but mine was a bit newer).

8)   Although we have managed fine on ADSL 14-Meg broadband for over a decade   - since we got the 2019 TV...my brother uses it for its built-in Youtube functionality all the time   - which as you'd expect makes my PC or Android phone's Wi-Fi streaming lag (not terribly, but sometimes noticeably)   - so I DO want to take the plunge to Fibre Broadband (Sky's Fibre speed will be about 70 Meg)...as that will also presumably assist in Netflix downloads too.  The average NET price of such a Fibre (after Cashback or voucher or loyalty rebates) seems to be between £15 to £25 depending on provider / deal   - so let's say Fibre for about £20 a month.

9)   Add in Netflix £9 package (for 2 screens)  - let's say £30 in total, which does sound very good...although my concern is my parents may not get the breadth of (and ease of) the Indian channels...I can't really see them browsing or navigating menus with ease...but then maybe it's easy on Netflix?
    You are absolutely right that everyone has their individual needs and I totally respect that.

Of course it is right to share what savings you made, that is what this thread is for.

My comments were about how easily we get roped into thinking we have a good deal, when if someone came up to us and said I want £1000 off you to watch TV and have broadband you would probably tell them to foxtrot oscar, so we should all stand back and ask ourselves what is a good deal.

Your father will start paying for a TV Licence soon because despite agreeing to take on the cost of the over 75's in return for annual increases the BBC has reneged on the agreement and is not limiting this to only those on Pension Credit, the sooner they are moved to subscription model the better.

If the free Indian channels are broadcasting live TV that you watch, then you still need a TV Licence even if you get rid of all the other stuff.

So we have established that the PC room does not need Sky and as it barely turned on may not even be needed.

The 2019 TV has a Netflix capability, it just needs access to wifi or ethernet.

Your father's 2010 TV could be fitted with an HDMI stick like a ROKU or Google stick of sorts, these have built in wifi and are similar to Amazon Firestick, most expensive Roku which is 4k model is about £70, you can pick up older Roku models on ebay for way less. Roku is independent and has access to 100's of apps with streaming channels, you need to remove BBC iPlayer to be compliant with no BBC content.  I am sure that there are brilliant Indian alternatives on there too.

What you need to get your head around is that this is streaming not downloading, it is on demand TV you can watch half a movie and come back to where you were..

Netflix has 4 profiles in it's top account and best video quality too, it will make suggestions based on what you watch, there are a lot of subtitle and audio options.

Some people get a VPN and connect to Netflix service in another country to get content that might suit them better, I have no experience of what they offer people in India, I imagine far less of their most expensive stuff. 

If your parents watch paid channels their TV companies will almost certainly be migrating to Apps via Google and Roku, a little internet research should clarify this.

With netflix you do not need to series record because usually the whole series is there to watch or if it is a blockbuster where they let it out weekly then the you add the series to MY LIST (one for each of the 4 profiles) and it will show a red mark when new episodes are out.  There is so much content that they will have plenty to watch, the issue may be the Indian content but as I said you can get that from other sources.

It takes a mindset shift to adopt this model, I have used torrents to download in the past but now I just watch Netflix if I watch TV, I have no interest in the overpriced Sky content, no interest in live TV of trash TV and I will not allow the BBC to put a gun to my head on a TV Licence. 

Sky may not have told you that when you unsubscribe you no longer get access to all the stuff you recorded, it is no loss, make a list and seek it on torrents if it is that important to you.  Do not bother to convert your Sky boxes to Freesat (sky charge for cards for this if you want to record).  

With on demand TV you never have to record because it is all there recorded for you, even leading BBC series are on there as well as C4 and ITV leading series. 

If there is content from India you have that you wish to download you can get a cheap media PC and run Plex on it, Plex is like your own private Netflix, it streams to all your devices and can even stream outside your home if you have suitable internet.

I think your parents may find the Netflix interface easier once they have used it.  It starts with a continue watching row, then MyList, then most popular, trending and then is starts having rows that say "because you watched X you might like these" or "because you added Y to MyList you might like these" there are loads of rows and of course a search facility.

As you and your brother just watch the terrestrial channels you have no need of Sky, you are probably being force fed a menu of tripe n trash TV heavily spiced with repeats of !!!!!! you really do not care about.  Netflix changes all that, you watch what you want, when you want, they are investing billions in content, much of which they create.

If swapping the TV makes it easier for them then by all means do it.

I am sure if you all sat down as a family and said what would we rather spend £1000 on over the next 18m you would find better things than Sky.

I have used Netflix on Broadband and Fibre (both of which I have shared) Netflix never stuttered even once, if there is an issue it automatically downgrades the connection, if you spot this and want better quality a reboot usually fixes any issue with connection.

A phone wifi streaming may be caused by the poor wifi technology it has, you can set the quality of YouTube to lower if it really is an issue but I reckon the industry will move everyone to fibre soon enough, they may limit bandwidth to get you to pay more but it makes sense to maintain one technology long term.  

There are offers for Fibre if you really want it from about £20 a month vs £10 a month for ADSL, you will have freed up some money but even if you went for fibre the £20 a month would only be £360 over 18m.  I would stick with ADSL and see how you get on, then if you feel you NEED fibre then get it.

If your brother gets the YouTube App he can screen cast it via the Roku, this would mean he was using his phone so getting a proportionate network bandwidth, then using wifi to screencast.

There are deals all over the place on Netflix, you can get 6 months free with O2 I think, the top end is about £11.99, what is important to realise is that the 4 profiles are people, so if I have two TV's and go into my bedroom, I can carry on where I left off on the programme I was watching in the living room.  The same applies if you watched something on your mobile on the way home on the train.

The menus are all images of the shows, as you scroll over a show it give info about it and starts a trailer on it. You just scroll down for different rows or across if you like the row that it has proposed, each profile learns the likes and dislikes based on what is chosen.

Roku and similar allow you to tailor your streaming to include a plethora of different TV channels and as long as you get no live content or BBC iPlayer you do not need a TV Licence.

As your father is elderly this would be a great F U to the BBC for making him pay the TV Licence, see the TV Licencing thread on this site for all the scams the BBC try to make you think you need one, there is a NoTV link you can register on once you have disabled all BBC content, this means removing aerials and disabling LIVE TV channels that may be coming in to the digital receiver in your TV, this is just a config issue, you can probably do a factory reset then never run setup (keeping no aerial).  I have totally disabled any live tv or iplayer use on my kit.

I like the BBC and want to see it preserved, I just want the funding model changed over 5 years to Subscription with the Public Service Broadcasting (including local radio) aspects moved either to general taxation or split across UK channels  The BBC suffers from a disease that is common across many public sectors of over spending and entitlement. This is actually an opportunity for the BBC, they are sitting on content worth billions worldwide and if you look at Amazon, they managed to create a whole new worldwide cloud business when designing their IT Infrastructure, the BBC could do the same.  They may need new management to get them out of this entitled mentality and to move them into the 21st century.  It will cause them to prune the !!!!!! they produce, so the consumer will benefit. 

• makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    Update -

Having spoken to both my parents to identify which Indian channels they watch on their PAID Sky+ TVs -

1)   My Mother pretty much watches just FOUR Free-Sat channels (I tested the channel numbers on my Free-Sat TV in the PC room...and I do get the feed...so she will too on her Sky+ box if we leave Sky's paid service...)

She RARELY watches the PAID Indian channels now (although I do remember she used to be ADDICTED to them in 2007 when we first got Sky though!!)  

- and she said although she did think she needs Series Recordings...she can live without them.

2)   My Father just watches THREE Free-Sat channels mostly   - very seldomly dipping into one or two of the PAID channels...i.e. he won't really be fussed if he loses those...

3)   My brother doesn't care one way or the other (and anyway...I know from his viewing he only watches Free-Sat U.K. and American channels).  Plus as I mentioned...he's more into his Youtube documentaries.

I was about to move my planned £23 upgrade from Sky ADSL 14 Meg to Sky's 70-Meg fibre (commencing on 22nd February) to say Vodafone or Plusnet (as they had good cashback deals)   - but had read horror stories about Vodafone's service, and then stumbled on this list - 

www.lovemoney.com/news/12418/uks-worst-broadband-provider-talktalk-plusnet-bt

- showing Sky and EE as having the fewest complaints about their Broadband Services...

So I phoned Sky, and asked the girl who answered that IF I leave Sky TV - would they still allow me the Fibre at £23 per month (instead of the standard £27) ?

She said Yes, double-checked with her Manager - and confirmed I will pay £23 for the next 18 months (instead of the usual £27 for Sky customers who don't have paid Sky TV).

Now although Sky's fibre is pricier than others...the one excellent thing I've found with Sky is since taking their Line - their "Talk Shield" has given NO COLD CALL attempts in the last 18 months (whereas when we were with "B.T. Basic" before that...it was constant harassment)...so that is a strong reason I wanted to stay with Sky for Fibre / the phone line service.

However as my 18-month "Sky Q" contract would only have gone live next month...she told me I am still bound in to my CURRENT 2 x Sky+ subscriptions until JUNE 16TH...and it will now remain at the earlier price of £17 for Main package / and £13 for Multi-room (so £4 more than the "Sky Q" of £17 for Main / and £9 for Multi-room)

- but as that will only be £4 "more" for the next FOUR MONTHS (so a total of £16 more)...after which we will only pay £23 for Fibre (and ZERO for TV...) for the next 14 months of Sky Fibre...it's worth it in the LONG TERM...

She also confirmed what one of her colleagues had said last week...that we will lose Sky+ recording functionality...but we will get to keep the 2 x Sky+ Boxes, and we CAN continue to use them for Free-Sat viewing for both our Main room and my Father's room.

P.S. - I am not fussed on having Netflix   - and neither is my brother.  I might get a one-off month to see if he or I like it - but no biggie either way...

So all in all...it's just Fibre we'll be paying for after June 16th.

@ Lee - thanks for the advice!  Will look into avoiding the BBC License Fee stuff too later...

• dekkarddekkard Forumite
    146 posts
    Question about switching from TalkTalk:
    My TalkTalk broadband contract ends mid-April and I'm likely going to switch to Vodafone/Plusnet. I believe TalkTalk need 30 days' notice of not wanting to renew my contract. So presumably I should arrange the switch with the new provider say 45 days before mid-April to be safe. Does this sound right? (Newbie question I know) 
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    "P.S. - I am not fussed on having Netflix   - and neither is my brother.  I might get a one-off month to see if he or I like it - but no biggie either way..."

Actually...as we won't get the benefit of Sky+ recording from June...just to confirm...can we use Netflix to watch "Eastenders" and the like whenever we want...? 
    And if yes, is that even on the BASIC (one room only) subscription of £5.99 a month...?
    (Note - our 2019 TV is intentionally not 4-K, as we are not fussed on having that)
  • LeesArtLeesArt Forumite
    56 posts
    makara said:
    Update -

Having spoken to both my parents to identify which Indian channels they watch on their PAID Sky+ TVs -

1)   My Mother pretty much watches just FOUR Free-Sat channels (I tested the channel numbers on my Free-Sat TV in the PC room...and I do get the feed...so she will too on her Sky+ box if we leave Sky's paid service...)

She RARELY watches the PAID Indian channels now (although I do remember she used to be ADDICTED to them in 2007 when we first got Sky though!!)  

- and she said although she did think she needs Series Recordings...she can live without them.

2)   My Father just watches THREE Free-Sat channels mostly   - very seldomly dipping into one or two of the PAID channels...i.e. he won't really be fussed if he loses those...

3)   My brother doesn't care one way or the other (and anyway...I know from his viewing he only watches Free-Sat U.K. and American channels).  Plus as I mentioned...he's more into his Youtube documentaries.

I was about to move my planned £23 upgrade from Sky ADSL 14 Meg to Sky's 70-Meg fibre (commencing on 22nd February) to say Vodafone or Plusnet (as they had good cashback deals)   - but had read horror stories about Vodafone's service, and then stumbled on this list - 

www.lovemoney.com/news/12418/uks-worst-broadband-provider-talktalk-plusnet-bt

- showing Sky and EE as having the fewest complaints about their Broadband Services...

So I phoned Sky, and asked the girl who answered that IF I leave Sky TV - would they still allow me the Fibre at £23 per month (instead of the standard £27) ?

She said Yes, double-checked with her Manager - and confirmed I will pay £23 for the next 18 months (instead of the usual £27 for Sky customers who don't have paid Sky TV).

Now although Sky's fibre is pricier than others...the one excellent thing I've found with Sky is since taking their Line - their "Talk Shield" has given NO COLD CALL attempts in the last 18 months (whereas when we were with "B.T. Basic" before that...it was constant harassment)...so that is a strong reason I wanted to stay with Sky for Fibre / the phone line service.

However as my 18-month "Sky Q" contract would only have gone live next month...she told me I am still bound in to my CURRENT 2 x Sky+ subscriptions until JUNE 16TH...and it will now remain at the earlier price of £17 for Main package / and £13 for Multi-room (so £4 more than the "Sky Q" of £17 for Main / and £9 for Multi-room)

- but as that will only be £4 "more" for the next FOUR MONTHS (so a total of £16 more)...after which we will only pay £23 for Fibre (and ZERO for TV...) for the next 14 months of Sky Fibre...it's worth it in the LONG TERM...

She also confirmed what one of her colleagues had said last week...that we will lose Sky+ recording functionality...but we will get to keep the 2 x Sky+ Boxes, and we CAN continue to use them for Free-Sat viewing for both our Main room and my Father's room.

P.S. - I am not fussed on having Netflix   - and neither is my brother.  I might get a one-off month to see if he or I like it - but no biggie either way...

So all in all...it's just Fibre we'll be paying for after June 16th.

@ Lee - thanks for the advice!  Will look into avoiding the BBC License Fee stuff too later...

Actually...as we won't get the benefit of Sky+ recording from June...just to confirm...can we use Netflix to watch "Eastenders" and the like whenever we want...? 
    And if yes, is that even on the BASIC (one room only) subscription of £5.99 a month...?
    (Note - our 2019 TV is intentionally not 4-K, as we are not fussed on having that)

Hi Makura
    I would ditch the Sky Boxes, they can get freeview on their TV's DVB Tuner.
    Some freesat boxes do series record, there are DVD players with hard disks that do it, you can pick them up on freecycle for free, just put an ad on there and ask for one.
    Your father is sorted.
    Your brother is sorted.
    There are nightmare stories about all providers, you need to find out from sites like "Sam knows" what is in your local exchange.
    If it were me I would be saying to Sky,

"you were prepared to cancel my current obligations if I went with another contract, we have had a big review of our budget and decided to cancel TV, but if you hold us to out previous few months till June you will lose our Broadband contract too.  I can get much higher spec for less than you are asking, so speak to whoever you need to or else you will have the contract till June but we will never buy Sky again"

I can't vouch for talk services because I do not have a home phone, even when I had my own ISP I did not use the number, I use my mobile. Now I am on a special deal with Sky Mobile for £3 a month (it was offered at £6) Unlimited calls & Text, 2gb for data which rolls over for up to 3 years., 

Do not keep the Sky Boxes, they only want you to so you can go back when they ring you with some "come back we love you deal"  You do not need them or the energy you use, from your description your TV's all have DVB tuners for Freesat and as I said above, you can pick up better second hand freebie stuff on Freecycle.

It is worth a trial of Netflix so you understand how the "on demand" tech has changed, no ads at all, a massive library of series and movies, it means the service revolves around your needs not you revolving around a schedule or having to record, download, series link, it is just there.

You have a 14 day cooling off period, so call them about this June thing and say you will go to Vodafone or whoever if they hold you to the June contract, don't ask don't get.
    No Eastenders on Netflix, far better content but if you watch ANY live TV on freesat you need a licence unless your father is on Pension credits (from April I think)
    So if you are hooked to Eastenders pay the BBC their £13 a month and stick with freeview.
    Be ready to say no to any Sky cold callers (they will call)

Also in 16 months start watching this and other sites for replacement Fibre deals, because Sky will hike up your price, it is a fact that you have to leave all of these providers, so move in 18 months, Sky have shown that they will not extend so just move, all the wiring will be in place for you to switch to Vodafone or Plusnet or TalkTalk or whoever.