Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread - Page 187

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

edited 14 June 2010 at 2:34PM in Broadband & Internet Access
1.9K replies 558.2K views

Replies

• LeesArtLeesArt Forumite
    56 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    dekkard said:
    Question about switching from TalkTalk:
    My TalkTalk broadband contract ends mid-April and I'm likely going to switch to Vodafone/Plusnet. I believe TalkTalk need 30 days' notice of not wanting to renew my contract. So presumably I should arrange the switch with the new provider say 45 days before mid-April to be safe. Does this sound right? (Newbie question I know) 
    In OFCOM theory once your contract runs out you do not need to give notice, just sign up with new provider,  but giving notice or asking for for a code to leave (as if you needed one) makes them put you through to retentions dept.

Another OFCOM theory is that once you place your order with another supplier that they are not allowed to chase you, but they all do.

I like it on the record that I am going, just watch out about Joining Plusnet, if you cease a service because you just do not want broadband they charge you, they also have the highest install fees I have seen (because they expect to be asked to reduce it)

• makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    LeesArt said:

If it were me I would be saying to Sky,

"you were prepared to cancel my current obligations if I went with another contract, we have had a big review of our budget and decided to cancel TV, but if you hold us to out previous few months till June you will lose our Broadband contract too.  I can get much higher spec for less than you are asking, so speak to whoever you need to or else you will have the contract till June but we will never buy Sky again"

You have a 14 day cooling off period, so call them about this June thing and say you will go to Vodafone or whoever if they hold you to the June contract, don't ask don't get.

Thanks for the tip...

Seeing as "EE" are on a par with Sky in terms of least Broadband complaints (from the link I pasted earlier)   - I checked their deals, and see they have Fibre for £24 a month

(ok...it's £24 for their lower speed one of around 36 Megs, so about half of what Sky's is for my line...but obviously I won't mention that "minor" detail to Sky...as EE's "on par with Sky" Fibre of 70 Megs is £28 per month...so not that competitive...)

- and for the £24 version you get £100 cashback from Quidco - making a NET cost of £18.44 per month   - so about a fiver less than what Sky offered for their 70 Meg fibre.

I guess the worst Sky can do is call my bluff and say -

"We can't release you from your TV contract...so if you want to join EE for the Fibre...go ahead..."  

- but at least I'll know either way.

P.S.  If you don't have a landline, how is your Broadband delivered?  Ignore my question if that is private.
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    LeesArt said:

"Do not keep the Sky Boxes, they only want you to so you can go back when they ring you with some "come back we love you deal"  

Sneaky!  I was wondering why they were seeming so generous about us keeping both the boxes...

• edited 16 February at 11:25PM
    makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 16 February at 11:25PM
    makara said:

Seeing as "EE" are on a par with Sky in terms of least Broadband complaints (from the link I pasted earlier)   - I checked their deals, and see they have Fibre for £24 a month

(ok...it's £24 for their lower speed one of around 36 Megs, so about half of what Sky's is for my line...but obviously I won't mention that "minor" detail to Sky...as EE's "on par with Sky" Fibre of 70 Megs is £28 per month...so not that competitive...)

- and for the £24 version you get £100 cashback from Quidco - making a NET cost of £18.44 per month   - so about a fiver less than what Sky offered for their 70 Meg fibre.
    Just did a quick calculation -

The remaining 4 x Months for Sky TV is £30 x 4              =    £120

Whereas the full 18 months for Sky fibre is £23 x 18       =     £414

Sky would be mad to risk losing a guaranteed £414 for the sake of £120...let's see what they say...
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    LeesArt said:

"Your father's 2010 TV could be fitted with an HDMI stick like a ROKU or Google stick of sorts, these have built in wifi and are similar to Amazon Firestick, most expensive Roku which is 4k model is about £70, you can pick up older Roku models on ebay for way less. Roku is independent and has access to 100's of apps with streaming channels, you need to remove BBC iPlayer to be compliant with no BBC content.  I am sure that there are brilliant Indian alternatives on there too"

(Apologies to all for going off-topic, as this is non-Broadband...but did originate from my Broadband dilemma...and it might end up useful for some...I hope...)

@ Lee - 

I did see the above quote from you in your earlier post, but it went completely over my head...until I started researching how my Father could navigate Netflix on his non-Smart TV WITHOUT having to use a Smartphone or a Tablet to cast to it (which I believe is what you need if you use Google Chromecast, as that doesn't seem to have a Remote...)

I then found that "Roku Express" and "Amazon Firestick" (the most basic versions are all we need for him) have their own Remotes...and for HIM the Roku express with its "fatter" looking remote and that HUGE "Netflix" button looks IDEAL -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Our75cqYN7o

I've just watched several Youtube videos on Roku versus Amazon Fire - and overall people seems 50-50 biased towards one or the other...for each of them, they both have pros and cons...

However I also found out that these little sticks have the TERRESTRIAL Catch-up services INCLUDED for free - including BBC iPlayer...so rather than get a PVR type box (free or otherwise) to compensate for our eventual loss of the Sky+ recording feature...I assume these little beauties will do the trick?  And let me or my brother watch "Eastenders" when it suits us?

If YES...then I'll be getting a Roku Express (with Remote) for my Father's TV   - and just to see the differences...I'll get an Amazon Fire Stick (with Remote) for our 2019 Smart TV...

...although I did read that Amazon Fire aren't allowing Netflix access on its Fire Sticks...BUT...as our 2019 TV has in-built Netflix capability...doesn't really matter :-)

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • makaramakara Forumite
    377 posts
    ✭✭
    P.S. - found this link about using a TV remote for Chrome Cast -
    https://chromeunboxed.com/want-a-chromecast-remote-how-to/
    56 posts
    makara said:
    makara said:

Just did a quick calculation -

The remaining 4 x Months for Sky TV is £30 x 4              =    £120

Whereas the full 18 months for Sky fibre is £23 x 18       =     £414

Sky would be mad to risk losing a guaranteed £414 for the sake of £120...let's see what they say...
    For me these things come down to a matter of principle, they have shown that they CAN do it, so I would rather move and pay £1 more to lower speed (which would still be 3x ADSL) than allow Sky to bleed me dry.  Sometimes you get a commission hungry person, I also note that Sky do not seem to let their call centres outside UK do as good a deal as the UK Retention team.  So best to call in UK office hours and be prepared to walk away, say "for the record please email me to confirm my cancellation of all your services and that under 14 day cooling off all any any previous deals are now rescinded and cancelled by me"
    Then call back in a few days or weeks and say I am giving you final chance to keep me as a customer and make the same proposition, remember that for Sky and BT the investment is done, the cost to them of adding you to the network is nominal.

In the past I have had Sky come back a week after broadband went live with another provider offering the deal I proposed but it was too late by then.
    It has to be said that I negotiate hard being prepared to have nothing, I am quite happy to rough it with BT hotspots until I can sort something out with a neighbour or get a mobile SIM.  I even spent a time only getting internet at my local library and Odeon Costa.  
    Right now the Broadband market is broken, it does not really compete the way it used to, I would not be surprised if there was some sort of cartel type of gentleman's agreement to "not" do certain things.  BT Wholesale is the obvious broker for such an alliance and if not some of the industry events that bring the competing execs together.

The Competition and Markets authority should never have allowed all the mergers and acquisitions BT owning EE &  Plusnet plus having wholesale is totally wrong.  Having mobile phone companies and Broadband companies merge is wrong, these companies and technologies should be competing investing but why should they when they can avoid it.

Consider that annual deals have previously been sold for £24 by Talk Talk and EE, even by Sky £5 for a year
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband/

Of course they were buying market share but it shows they their cost prices meant they could afford it.

When I considered Sky Mobile I tried to negotiate on the £6 a month deal, they argued it was the lowest they could go so I walked away, they I got a call back after complaining and they did the £3 a month deal.  Of course they can't do it for everybody but the people who think nothing of spending £70 a month with Sky subsidise customers like me and Sky hope to grow them, they also benefit from having a certain number of connections so meet their quotas.

56 posts
    makara said:
    LeesArt said:

"Your father's 2010 TV could be fitted with an HDMI stick like a ROKU or Google stick of sorts, these have built in wifi and are similar to Amazon Firestick, most expensive Roku which is 4k model is about £70, you can pick up older Roku models on ebay for way less. Roku is independent and has access to 100's of apps with streaming channels, you need to remove BBC iPlayer to be compliant with no BBC content.  I am sure that there are brilliant Indian alternatives on there too"

(Apologies to all for going off-topic, as this is non-Broadband...but did originate from my Broadband dilemma...and it might end up useful for some...I hope...)

@ Lee - 

I did see the above quote from you in your earlier post, but it went completely over my head...until I started researching how my Father could navigate Netflix on his non-Smart TV WITHOUT having to use a Smartphone or a Tablet to cast to it (which I believe is what you need if you use Google Chromecast, as that doesn't seem to have a Remote...)

I then found that "Roku Express" and "Amazon Firestick" (the most basic versions are all we need for him) have their own Remotes...and for HIM the Roku express with its "fatter" looking remote and that HUGE "Netflix" button looks IDEAL -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Our75cqYN7o

I've just watched several Youtube videos on Roku versus Amazon Fire - and overall people seems 50-50 biased towards one or the other...for each of them, they both have pros and cons...

However I also found out that these little sticks have the TERRESTRIAL Catch-up services INCLUDED for free - including BBC iPlayer...so rather than get a PVR type box (free or otherwise) to compensate for our eventual loss of the Sky+ recording feature...I assume these little beauties will do the trick?  And let me or my brother watch "Eastenders" when it suits us?

If YES...then I'll be getting a Roku Express (with Remote) for my Father's TV   - and just to see the differences...I'll get an Amazon Fire Stick (with Remote) for our 2019 Smart TV...

...although I did read that Amazon Fire aren't allowing Netflix access on its Fire Sticks...BUT...as our 2019 TV has in-built Netflix capability...doesn't really matter :-)

I used Amazon for a while, I did not like the interface, I prefer ROKU because it starts with a home page showing the apps you have installed, with Firestick you jump into Amazon then have to use something after navigating, it also had a habit of losing setups so had to be done again.
    I thought you were going to give your father the TV with it built in but if you wish to remain as you are I can't fault the Roku, I have a 4k stick I got on offer from Currys at 50% off a while back and I have an older one which is nothing special but ethernet connected.  The 4k has wireless AC and is solid as a rock, the older one seems to eat batteries so I always have some charged.  I think one has sound commands but I never use that.

I think Google devices may be cheaper but you are not comparing like for like.

I bought the 4k Roku because these things hold their price on ebay so I figured I could always get most of my money back.
    I use Plex for a library of old content, I am in middle of migrating old analogue family movies passed down but have some digital content too.

What library on demand products like Netflix do is change your lifestyle.  Sky TV is still mostly about looking at a schedule, recording things, series linking and paying for premier items.  I find with Netflix I dip in when it suits me, I listen more to the radio because I might be online or on laptop.  I do not watch trash TV nor any live TV, If I did want these I could catch them on Catch Up but I do not like Ads, so I do not bother.

It saddens me that the BBC lack the vision to merely move themselves to a different platform, they did it when analogue disappeared and they need to move 100% to a subscription model, in the UK once current contracts with 3rd parties like Netflix and Britbox expire they need to limit content to only their service.  Then go mad for creating their £30 billion library and start selling it world wide.  They can set prices per country, for example a country like India with a massive population could be offered it at $2 a month while in the USA maybe $5.  If done right they could probably fund their Public Service Broadcasting which I would move to a separate division. It is madness that BBC give away content to countries around the world and expect UK consumers to pay for it under threat of a criminal record or harassment by their goons (see youtube). They have shown that they are prepared to break the law by going into a home with only a minor present and harass those with profound mental health issues into buying a licence even when they do not have a working TV. God knows what they are going to do to the elderly.

Sadly the management at the BBC have no commercial acumen, they have no idea of the value of their assets, look how they gave away Formula one rights to Sky for a song. I think it is time for a change in the Culture in the BBC and that starts from the top down, they need to get rid of this entitled culture of spending other people's money on crap channels and/or content.  They are already ruining Radio4 which is their flagship.

The BBC outsource a lot of their content creation anyway, look at The Crown, a Netflix production and Netflix is investing billions on content.  The BBC need to act NOW because other players are just starting out, Apple for one, but they are always at the niche of targeting high end.  
  • edited 17 February at 1:54PM
    phillwphillw Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 1:54PM
    LeesArt said:
    Another OFCOM theory is that once you place your order with another supplier that they are not allowed to chase you, but they all do.
    I just left plusnet, they contacted me to let me know my contract was coming to an end and then after I signed up elsewhere they sent me a message to say they had received a request to switch from my new provider. I wouldn't say that was chasing me.

My only criticism of OFCOM is they need to sort out the extortionate price you pay if you miss switching on the day after your contract ends. A week on their standard rate is like a month on your new deal.
    LeesArt said:
    Sadly the management at the BBC have no commercial acumen, they have no idea of the value of their assets, look how they gave away Formula one rights to Sky for a song. I think it is time for a change in the Culture in the BBC and that starts from the top down, they need to get rid of this entitled culture of spending other people's money on crap channels and/or content.  They are already ruining Radio4 which is their flagship.
    Subscription won't work for the BBC at the moment as they aren't just producing box sets for millenials like netflix and apple tv are. The BBC will change eventually, probably around the time that cash and cheques disappear.
    56 posts
    phillw said:
    LeesArt said:
    I just left plusnet, they contacted me to let me know my contract was coming to an end and then after I signed up elsewhere they sent me a message to say they had received a request to switch from my new provider. I wouldn't say that was chasing me.

My only criticism of OFCOM is they need to sort out the extortionate price you pay if you miss switching on the day after your contract ends. A week on their standard rate is like a month on your new deal.
    LeesArt said:
    Subscription won't work for the BBC at the moment as they aren't just producing box sets for millenials like netflix and apple tv are. The BBC will change eventually, probably around the time that cash and cheques disappear.
    phillw said:
    LeesArt said:

LeesArt said:
    Agree about OFCOM, I think a grace period of 60 days on the same price you were on, but they would argue that people would just complaint after 60 days.  Maybe disconnect the service at 30 days.

Subscription WILL work for the BBC and any other provider, if they digitise their whole library the way BBC series are already on Netflix then they will appeal to all the same customers they are appealing to now.  They will of course be able to binge watch whole series and as those millennials age they will find they like some of the series aimed at older viewers.

With new management they will make programmes for all sectors of the market because they will be competitive. Giving them 18 month to get their backsides in gear then reducing the cost of TV licence by 20% and expecting them to make up that 20% from subscription in year 1 seems reasonable.  Then in year 2 reduce licence fee to 40% and 20% of original cost of TV licence until Year 5.  Over the same 18 months they would move the public sector broadcasting activities (news, radio, websites, world service) to a community company.  They will be able to do away with the goons, the £1 billion head office, the hugely expensive Eastenders set and of course the 100k "creative carpets".