PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Christmas puddings added to my must buy list :D

Love them and they usually sell them half price after in the new year, can keep for about a year, not in my house :D
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Christmas puddings added to my must buy list :D

Love them and they usually sell them half price after in the new year, can keep for about a year, not in my house :D

I don't think I've ever paid full price for a Christmas pudding lol. Always pick them up reduced after Christmas to be put away for the following year. Same goes for warping paper and Christmas cards.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I haven't really seen anything nasty on this thread, just people with different views and I guess discussing Brexit itself is away from the spirit of the thread, but it is hard not to when it all seems such a c*ck up. I can't imagine many people even if they really want to leave the EU would have chosen to have it done in this way, a referendum which none of the powers that be seemed to have considered might go the way it did, so there were no plans and then what seemed like chaos and panic in the government, rather than it being a more considered and planned process :(:(.

I called it the 'unplanned unknown' the other day and upset someone who thought I was saying people who voted to leave were stupid or didn't know what they were voting for, which was a million miles from what I meant, feelings are running high and we all just need to keep a cool head and not fall out with our neighbours!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Things I'll make sure are in place before March are dental check ups, medical reviews, bank and savings accounts checked and up to date, opticians if needed, food stocks as high as I can get 'em, medications both prescription and over the counter things, any repairs done to house, contents, clothing, shoes etc. phone number lists up to date and all the emergency ones we could conceivably need both on my mobile and written down by the land line, outdoor gear waterproofed and boots/wellies where we can find them easily. Stocks of wood for the stove and stored water which might sound a bit odd but safe water to drink is really something that is not a want but a need!
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Things I'll make sure are in place before March are dental check ups, medical reviews, bank and savings accounts checked and up to date, opticians if needed, food stocks as high as I can get 'em, medications both prescription and over the counter things, any repairs done to house, contents, clothing, shoes etc. phone number lists up to date and all the emergency ones we could conceivably need both on my mobile and written down by the land line, outdoor gear waterproofed and boots/wellies where we can find them easily. Stocks of wood for the stove and stored water which might sound a bit odd but safe water to drink is really something that is not a want but a need!
    Hi

Sounds like you're planning to act as normal then ... just like us!

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Live_laugh_love
    Options
    I don't know whether to be alarmed or relieved that I will be out of the country for two weeks at the end of March!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just read an article on the MSE newsfeed that is saying the government haven't discussed this advice to stockpile food with the retailers of the country, who are saying they can't store any more food than they already do because of the 'just in time' system or re-stocking their shops. I think it's probably time to take on board that we are going to have to take responsibility for our OWN futures and that we aren't able to rely on the current government to make sure that all is well in the UK. They seem to act before thinking these days and also appear to speak without acting which is even worse. What will happen as Brexit happens is shrouded in mystery but I'll not expect much of it to be either good or easy.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    They can't think MrsL. Not equipped for it! To them food is something that is put on tables in front of them in the dining room of the House or at their large country homes at weekends. They don't worry their precious big heads about where it comes from!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    And before anybody has a go at me for being politically biased - I am not. I despise the lot of them equally :D:D
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... the retailers of the country, who are saying they can't store any more food than they already do because of the 'just in time' system ...
    Hi

Well, 'they would say that, wouldn't they' ... there are plenty of ways to build safety stocks when the potential for disruption looms, even when running JIT supply systems ... French farmers-or-fishermen-or-port operators cause supply issues quite regularly, so do storms & various conditions which result in port closure, particularly Dover or Calais ...

Even with JIT there's often a mismatch between supplier & customer plant closure dates which are normally address by build-forward ... many companies even operate on a JIT bonded warehouse scheme where they have supplier owned stock on site which is 'called-off' on a JIT basis when needed, often paid on a self-billed basis ...

There are plenty of reasonably sized large buildings all over the country which would be readily available for a short term lease to comply with a supply contingency plan for both non-perishable foods & food with a reasonable shelf-life ... with a little foresight the large supermarkets in the UK could set-up a temporary scheme whereby their EU based suppliers would be 'encouraged' to hold their own contingency stock in the UK and either pay for the privilege or share the costs ... in effect it's nothing more than any JIT manufacturing company is required to do when planning for any form of change (site relocation etc) ...

The only food that would really cause problems with this form of contingency planning would be anything which is imported from the EU with a short shelf life, such as soft fruit, or anything which would require to be stored in refrigerated or frozen conditions because of the lack of ready supply of the required equipment ...

If the large supermarkets are doing nothing other than being vocal, then they're effectively confirming that they're not really worried about the supply chain, just the potential effect on their bottom-line if import duties are applied on EU goods ... before they re-source to considerably cheaper alternatives that is!

Frictionless trade? ... well despite what we're always being told, it's pretty easy and currently done on a daily basis. In effect it's the same as product traceability, which already exists in many sectors, including food. For example, farm animals cross borders every time they move from farm to farm or slaughterhouse - it doesn't really cause farmers much of an issue and that's dealing with just a few £thousands of value each time, not the £tens-of-thousands crossing from the EU in the average trailer-load ... Think about alcoholic drinks currently crossing borders from the EU to the UK on a daily basis, they're already subject to UK duties as they arrive, so there's already an import pre-notification scheme in place for that, yet no-one can tell me what significant difference exists between that system and pre-notification for all imported loads! ... if a farmer is expected to be able to handle the administration for moving a handful of sheep, I'd be surprised if anyone running a cross-border trading business shipping 20' or 40' lorry loads of goods would find it impossible to adapt quickly and with little/no additional admin cost!

It's simply a storm brewing in a teacup that has been blown-up completely out of context by those with vested interests! ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure