Still shopping at Amazon?

Options

Comments

• soul1
    soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi apologies for the confusion. I personally don't have an Amazon account for moral and ethical reasons. However on the very rare occasion which I can count as once only I did get a friend to order something from Amazon on behalf of a family member. Personally I think Amazon have got too big and should have never been allowed to get as big as they are. Many people shop with them because they are cheap, however because of Amazon, how many reta
  • soul1
    Options
    retailers have shut down and how many jobs have been lost. Amazon don't play fair when it comes to paying their taxes and in terms of following the distance selling regulations as featured on Watchdog. Final point is about how they treat their workers which is not very well from what I've read on the Web. As Amazon continues to get more big and powerful, what will be the end result? Just my opinion and it's okay to have one or isn't it?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for all your replies so far. Personally I don't really shop at Amazon anymore unless I really can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else. Only as a last resort will I purchase from Amazon.
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone a few years back I posted a thread on here with regards to Amazon banning customers for life with regards to returns after they were on Watchdog. Since then I personally have not shopped at Amazon. I don't need Amazon in my life and don't miss using Amazon at all.
    So this was just posting for effect then ;)
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have used Amazon prime for years and never had a problem.They have huge warehouses around the UK.There are people who return a lot of items for some reason and they will be those that get banned.
  • soul1
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    So this was just posting for effect then ;)
    Not really neilmcl :)
    As I just mentioned I don't have an Amazon account. The only time Amazon was used was on behalf of a family member to purchase a one off item as it was not available elsewhere. Hope this helps :)
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    Options
    I have absolutely no problem with amazon banning those who order then return items at a greater percentage than deemed normal. You mention they don't pay fair taxes, they do nothing illegal. Would you pay more in taxes if you could help it?
  • soul1
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Still using Amazon here and buy several things a month, haven't had a second hand item yet. Workers conditions are a problem for many retailers, not just Amazon.

Yes there are still stories of people being banned for excessive returns, and in fact there was a big discussion about this over on the US forums where Amazon are taking a very hard line. In the UK though Amazon are just one of a large group of retailers taking this line with serial or frivolous returners. It doesn't even need to be in their terms and conditions so if you are already banned I can't see why that bothers you anyway, any retailer can choose to refuse sales to people if they wish. As an online seller myself it seems to be good business practice to deny sales to anyone who costs a lot of money on returns and easier to deal with buyers who know what they want and do their research before buying.
    Thanks for the info. Amazon have become very strict and harsh in the US imho and people who have been banned there have taken to social media to outline their frustrations. I'm sure that this harsher and stricter policy will soon end up here. It also seems that Amazon are now banning people more and more without any prior warning. This could be really bad for someone who is a Prime member, or who has lots of digital content purchased through Amazon, e.g. Kindle books etc.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    Options
    Why would it be bad for kindle owners? You own the books, they are not going to take them away.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unlimited One-Day Delivery on more than 9 million items
    Prime Instant Video unlimited streaming of more than 15,000 movies and TV episodes
    Prime Photos - unlimited photo storage
    Kindle Owners Lending Library - borrow one Kindle book per month from over 800,000 titles for free on any Kindle device with no due dates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure