Still shopping at Amazon?

Options
Hi everyone a few years back I posted a thread on here with regards to Amazon banning customers for life with regards to returns after they were on Watchdog. Since then I personally have not shopped at Amazon. I don't need Amazon in my life and don't miss using Amazon at all. Just wondering if Amazon have changed their policy with regards to banning customers for life and if their is anything mentioned in their terms and conditions with regards to this.
What I have noticed though is quite a few people now seem to be receiving second hand goods from Amazon that have clearly been returned but are sold as New. Just wanted to know please if anyone has experienced this from shopping at Amazon. Finally their was recently an article in one of the main newspapers about Amazon treating their workers really poorly and like robots. My question is why would anyone want to shop at a place like this?
As always any views and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, use them fairly often. No, no problems over the years that spring to mind (but there's a first time for everything I suppose - then maybe I'll rethink).

No goods have been (or appeared to be) second hand. Unlike Argos where practically everything has been opened & I'm often left wondering.

Amazon treating their workers poorly & like robots - well that could well describe half the employers in the country.

Why do I shop there? Because it's my choice, as is everything else I choose to do. Shop where I want, eat what I want, do what I want.

Amazon T&C's, quick google search will help you look those up yourself.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still using Amazon here and buy several things a month, haven't had a second hand item yet. Workers conditions are a problem for many retailers, not just Amazon.

Yes there are still stories of people being banned for excessive returns, and in fact there was a big discussion about this over on the US forums where Amazon are taking a very hard line. In the UK though Amazon are just one of a large group of retailers taking this line with serial or frivolous returners. It doesn't even need to be in their terms and conditions so if you are already banned I can't see why that bothers you anyway, any retailer can choose to refuse sales to people if they wish. As an online seller myself it seems to be good business practice to deny sales to anyone who costs a lot of money on returns and easier to deal with buyers who know what they want and do their research before buying.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes. Pretty much have a package arriving everyday.

This week its been books for my holiday on Saturday, ironicaly one of them was-

Hired: Six Months Undercover in Low-Wage Britain

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1786490145/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

all about how dreadful it is to work in an Amazon warehouse- will look forward to that one whilst lounging on the beach.

I use the excellent Amazon Pantry so I don't have to go to Tesco with the proles.

Last night the bulb in the oven popped- new one coming today with the excellent Prime free next day delivery.

I shall be enjoying Billy Bob Thornton in the excellent season two of Goliath on Friday via my Amazon Fire tv box.

and I am listening to R4 via one of my two Amazon Echo devices as I type this.

Do I think Amazon offers me great service, quality, convenience and value. Crikey- there is a bear outside defecating in the woods.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh yes I forgot the Amazon fire stick I use for catch up TV and films in my study when I'm supposed to be working! Plus the two Alexas I have at home where I use Amazon music library to listen to all my old favourites. Plus I'm currently on yet another free trial of Kindle unlimited (they are generous with their free trials) as I'm overseas and with lots of time to read, so I'm having to return and borrow new books every day all free of charge.

Looking at it like this I'm pretty much reliant on Amazon for my entertainment and all at a single cost of Amazon prime for the year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have amazon deliveries nearly every day, have a kindle so also download books, have amazon prime. Never had any problems, out of the thousands of items ordered only one had to go back as damaged. If I need anything my first port of call is Amazon.

My thoughts on the stories regarding their employees is if they were that bad nobody would work for them.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another Amazon user here.

Why do I use them? I am disabled. I have no car, and have no one with a car to take me shopping. Also, the town I live in is sleepy verging on half-dead...there are no big shops here, our main street is a row on increasingly boarded up shops...!!!8230;

So I use online shopping for a fair amount of shopping.

Amazon offer a wide range of articles at reasonable prices and with free next-day delivery for a large proportion of their goods.

Some years ago I received one item that was clearly second-hand !!!8230;.and that was from a third-party seller and was promptly returned.

I have found Amazon to be quite reasonable when I have had a complaint.

As for the poor working conditions for their employees...this has, in my opinion been reported with a heavy bias...conditions are NOT brilliant, but not generally as bad as was reported...and Amazon are from being the only company to have less than ideal working conditions.

One minor gripe is with delivery...Amazon used to use Hermes and we would get an email with a one-hour delivery slot...!!!8230;.now Amazon use their own company Logistics and they simply tell you the parcel will come today sometime before 9pm
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use Amazon regularly. Can't remember a problem with buying or delivery. Those who find their accounts ended or suspended are usually those who endlessly send back things for little or no reason so ending their accounts probably makes it cheaper for the rest of us.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use Amazon regularly. I've probably returned six things in 12 years.

But ... I don't buy high value items from marketplace sellers - I don't think the protection is good enough if I have a problem down the line.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use them. Never had a second hand item unless from a marketplace seller and advertised as second hand (e.g. out of print books). Problems have been very rare, a couple of things have not arrived over the 19 years I've been using them.

Since I mostly buy books and DVDs I'm not a serial returner though.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure