Being called frugal is the best compliment

Options
Dorisd
Dorisd Posts: 174 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 18 April 2020 at 9:01AM in Debt free diaries
Have been lurking for a while, I had started to budget 2 years ago when trying to Dave a house deposit. That kind of fell by the wayside and life took over and we spent the savings and acquired more debt. Will post soa later but current debt is about £30,000 :eek:

This is made up of 2 CC, 2 loans and a catalogue. I have been paying more than the minimum on cards and started rounding down my current account and paying that off CC1sobfarvthis month debt has been reduced by only 1.7% not as much as I hoped.

Have decided to start different pots for things like entertainment etc and now have an EF of £800 so that's a start in the right direction I hope! Any advice gratefully excepted. DFD March 2022
🎊Debt Free 8 Jan 2022[/center]🎉
Language Learners Chat- Portuguese

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Coould you post your income & expenditure? A SOA.
    Do you keep a spending diary?

Welcome to MSE :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome to MSE and good luck with your journey.
  • Dorisd
    Options
    Well keeping a diary didn’t go too well, but I have been keeping up with debt busting and all things mse. Current debt is £16374 and some change! I will try to do better for next year and start some more challenges to keep us on the straight and narrow.
  • Dorisd
    Options
    Still haven’t got used to posting regularly, and now with the pandemic situation there just never seems to be time. I have found a few ministers to check in on the forum and read updates on some diaries. My debt free journey isn’t quite on hold just yet, but I am conscious that the grocery budget has gone up😞. This coming week I’m hoping to shop from home. I’ve dug out toiletries (unopened) given to us over the years to save buying all but necessities. 
    During this pandemic my emotions have swung wildly from absolute panic and anxiety not just health wise but for my job. I also work with my DH so it was in the line for both us, business dropped off a cliff overnight. Now the management have switched to a different model and we are still working and for the first time our industry is considers ‘key’. I did find the first 2 weeks hard to leave the house and was close to tears on my way to work. Things are a bit more settled now, I still have a job, all my loved ones in good physical health, not sure about MH right now but plenty to be thankful for.
    Diary writing was my go to in my teenage years and I’m determined to keep it.
    Action plan for next payday
    * pay all necessary bills
    *set aside money for sinking funds
    *kitchen audit (food)
    *meal plan lunch and dinners a week at a time
    *prep some freezer/slow cookers dinners
    Thankful for....
    Good health
    Emergency fund
    Stocked kitchen cupboards 
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    welcome back.  little and often works for some people - most on us on DFD know it can be pretty dull debt busting so we're not a demanding bunch!!

do try and share some achievements (however small) and frustrations/challenges.  the more you post the more you will get in return

thanks you for whatever you do that makes you a key worker - all in your debt at the moment
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Dorisd
    edited 1 January 2021 at 10:59PM
    Options
    It’s 2021 and I’m back! What a year, just when thought I would get used to posting regularly I was knocked down by COVID-19 and it has taken some time to get back on track health wise and financially. I have been furloughed now part time as the industry I work in has not fared well and it’s a worrying time on the job front. I celebrated a milestone birthday last year and was given a journal/diary to help me get my thoughts in order. 
    I have not forgotten about the debt and it’s under £12,000 now. Here’s hoping I’ll be debt free in 2021.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Nearly under 11k  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Dorisd
    Options
    Thanks being debt free feels so close now
  • beanielou
    Options
    Is 1k month doable?

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope that 2021 is a much better year for you.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure