All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Options

Comments

• mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    I hope your OH is cooking you a lovely tea!

As for cushions... I am in love with these. https://www.stevenbrownart.co.uk/collections/all-cushions They had 50% off though for Black Friday, so personally I won't be getting any at the higher price. :)
    Those cushions are a real statement! They're lovely!

Spent a couple of hours in the pub with OH and the dog then went home to have my tea cooked - all very nice. Promptly fell asleep on the sofa for an hour much to OHs disgust ;)
    Still tired today - just feel a bit worn out. Will take a load of vitamins in a minute.

Have had a busy morning - walked the dog, been to tesco, tidied the washing etc then forced myself to sit down and do this week's planning and to mark a set of tests. Done now though.
    Just waiting for lunch to cook - baked Camembert and fresh bread, yummy - then I'm off for a soak in the bath and later this afternoon will see OH.

Had my car insurance renewal - it's ridiculous - will need to research a new provider at some point in the next couple of days. It's scandalous how they can just add hundreds of pounds without a claim being made. Not having it!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Re car insurance, do you have business use included? I was advised by my old deputy head to get business insurance after a colleague had a prang on the way to a meeting in another school. The insurance company refused to pay out claiming it was a business journey and not commuting. I've always mentioned it at every renewal as it seems to be a bit of a grey area with some insurers advising it and others not being so bothered. Given the amount of meetings etc in other schools I always include for peace of mind and the price difference is negligible.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 9 December 2018 at 10:19PM
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Honeysuckle. It wouldn't have occurred to me. I'm going to sort it out tomorrow or Tuesday - still fuming about it :(

Had a nice afternoon and early evening with OH - just spending time together and pottering about. Came home to feed the dog as I forgot to take food with me for him. Have walked him, done tea and cleaned the floors again - this rain means constantly mucky floors....

Have written a list of Xmas presents still to get and things that need doing - going to try to finish everything by Friday - might be a bit ambitious but I work better with deadlines ;) I drive past a huge shopping centre every day so can pop in on the way home one evening. I also drive past a Dunelm so will nip in to look for cushions too.

Caught up on Mrs Wilson on the iplayer today - it's very good, would recommend it, only 3 episodes long too so not a huge commitment- the last one is this Tuesday I think.
    Also finished my audiobook (The Reckoning by John Grisham) whilst walking the dog - bit of a disappointing end if I'm honest. Have started a new one called Our Little Lies by Sue Watson - seems quite good so far.

Work is busy this week (is it ever any other way?) but I'm determined to try to get everything written up, reported, marked, planned and boxed off by the end of the week so I can coast through the week leading up to Xmas.
    We finish on the Thursday lunchtime so it will be a nice short week.
    No big plans for the evenings this week apart from a birthday do on Friday evening - OHs ex boss - it's fairly local and I'm thinking of driving. I've dug out a dress only worn once to try on - will do it tomorrow evening, feeling a bit bloated and flabby today. Don't want to buy a new one for something that I'm not overly fussed about going to.

I'm going to try hard to look after myself better this week - no sneaky wine in the evenings, more exercise and better food and remembering to take my supplements. This time of year is just hard work! Going to start with an early night in clean sheets (lovely) watching the second half of the I'm a Celebrity final - hope Harry wins
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Harry won! Pleased about that :)
    Didn't sleep brilliantly - just couldn't drop off - but never mind, there's only 9 days to go including today.
    Have walked and fed the dog and taken all my supplements and medication - starting as I mean to go on.
    Little victory last night - instead of the bar of chocolate that was calling me from the fridge I had some fruit and no wine. Pathetic victory but every little positive helps......

Might try to pop into Dunelm on the way home today if the usual Monday afterschool meeting doesn't go on too long.
    Right, better get in the shower and make myself presentable.
  • joeyjimbles
    Options
    All victories should be celebrated, there are no pathetic victories. And at this time of year when its all a bit dark, and it's too early for your party hat, then it's all too easy to succumb to the red wine, chocolate and comfort food. So well done on the resistance.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• mumblingtaff
    Options
    Thanks Joey! It's a slog now isn't it?

Long busy day that ended with not one but two after school meetings - an extra 2 hours or more. That thwarted my plan to pop to Dunelm on the way home but, on the plus side, tomorrow's meeting has been postponed so I can hopefully leave fairly early and go then instead.

Have taken the dog for a long walk and made a proper tea of tagliatelle and tomato and basil sauce with cheese - very nice. Have also put the bins out for collection in the morning, cleaned the kitchen and wooden floors and tidied away the dry washing.

Got a report finished today so that's one bit of work ticked off the list and marked a set of books and did a book scrutiny so feel fairly up to date with work but still have plenty of things to do if I want to finish everything by the end of the week. Might do a bit more tonight if I get bored.

Going to have a bath, get my clothes and food ready for tomorrow and see how I feel - telly or work.....hmmmmmm. ;)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Telly!
    Don't you dare even think about work. :p
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 10 December 2018 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Ok Cat - you've persuaded me. :)

Have tried on the frock for Friday - it's ok but nothing special and will have to do. Have put it through a gentle quick wash to freshen it up and it appears to have survived ok.

Also investigated car insurance - managed to get more than equal cover with all the extras for - wait for it - £375 less than the current supplier's renewal quote!!!!
    Absolutely ridiculous original quote :(
    It's all sorted now and ready to kick in when the other policy expires over Xmas. Works out £25 a month cheaper than I currently pay too - very happy with my 10 mins work. The other direct debit has been cancelled pronto !
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also investigated car insurance - managed to get more than equal cover with all the extras for - wait for it - £375 less than the current supplier's renewal quote!!!!
    Absolutely ridiculous original quote :(

Sometimes I wonder if they do it to encourage us to leave because they don't want to insure us any more; we no longer fit whatever their demographic is. And if you stay, they win by charging you a ridiculous premium.

These days I find even if I stick with the same insurer at renewal, I can usually get a cheaper price from them via a comparison site then have to ring up and get them to match it. It's bonkers!
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    I know DD!!! It's scandalous!

Spent an hour doing some online Xmas shopping last night - it should all arrive on Wednesday so I'm getting there now.
    Today is a busy teaching day - at least the day goes quickly - and there's no meeting after work so I'm re attempting the Dunelm visit on the way home.

The night sweats have returned with a vengeance - last night was really bad. I hate the way it makes you feel. :(
    Got to get on with it though....

8 more work days......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family