All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Options

Comments

• mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Result! Found my speech from the last time I did a similar event and it barely needed tweaking :)
    Have also spoken to a friend I haven't seen for ages - really good to catch up. She'll be at the event tomorrow evening too - will try to arrange a proper night out soon, forgot how much I missed her.

It's just 11 more school days to go now - starting to flag a bit now. Christmas is fairly organised - have done all the present shopping apart from dad, OH and secret Santa at work. Will try to get those done this weekend if possible.
    The new sofas are being delivered on Saturday morning and hopefully the old ones will be picked up around the same time. I'll wait to see what they look like in situ and then buy a few new cushions on the weekend.

Mum has given me a £50 tesco voucher to put towards the Xmas food shop - it's usually three times that amount but it's nice of her to chip in. I leave the decorations etc until around the 20th - later if I can get away with it - so will have a look when I'm out on the weekend to see if there's anything fabulous and cheap that will perk up the existing stuff.
    I only do Xmas cards for the street so one box will suffice. I sound like Scrooge!

Thinking about the next phase of home redecoration/improvements - I need a new kitchen, new wooden floors in the hall and kitchen, the en suite shower room needs completely redoing, and the hall and stairs need repainting.
    I need to evaluate the finances and which one would be the most important - it's just the thought of the mess and disruption, not to mention the expense.
    Hurts my head thinking about it but it does need doing soon.
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Always on the go MT - I have no idea how you do it. I am dead on my feet and barely do half of what you do. Not sure I'll make it to Christmas at this rate.

Cat - the difference is I don't have kids! Just a little fat woofer that's happy as long as he's walked a couple of times a day and fed.
    I read that this week is officially the worst week of the year for teachers when there are the biggest number of calls to well being helplines and mental health services. Probably to do with the dark days, never ending slog at school and stress of Xmas. Let's just grin and bear it for a couple more weeks - I finish at lunchtime on Thursday 20th December and am counting the days, if not the hours...... ;)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    The thought of next week being worse than this week at school makes me want to cry :cry:
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    We can do it Cat! Coast it if you have to - the kids are hard work already though..... :(

Long day today - normal work day then home to walk the dog and feed him and have a quick shower. Then off to my old school for their presentation evening - did a speech and presented awards. It was lovely to see all my old colleagues but felt very sad leaving - if they offered me a job tomorrow I'd run back....
    Onwards and upwards though....

Thankfully it's Friday tomorrow - I'll be gone ASAP in the afternoon. Will be homeward bound as soon as decency allows ;)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    What a sobering thought re the worst week for teachers but can understand it.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    It's Friday !!!!! And it's absolutely pouring down - the early morning dog walk was not fun.....
    Today is all about getting to 3pm - I'll be counting the hours.
    Roll on the weekend.......
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    We made it MT... Cheers :beer:
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Just about in tact Cat!!
    Yesterday was hard work.....
    I thought I'd have a nice quiet night to myself last night as OH had his work Xmas do but he rang at 6pm and announced he'd decided he didn't want to go and would rather spend the night with me. The sofas are being delivered today from 7am-1pm so I stayed over at his and got up at 6am to be home in time and left him snoring his head off. I'm a bit worried about him - he's had a few weeks of really difficult times at work and it's taking its toll a bit. He's stressed and struggling a little bit - but he did open up and talk about it so that's a positive move for him, he usually bottles it up and sulks or strops when things aren't going well. He just wanted to be close to me all night and needed lots of reassurance. He'll probably revert back to alpha male man but it was nice to feel needed and that I helped a little bit.

Just pottering around waiting for the sofa people to turn up and the British Heart Foundation to collect the old ones. They'll probably leave it until the last minute and I'll be stranded at home all day....
    Never mind - I can get some jobs done in the house and it's horrible outside anyway. I've already given the kitchen a good clean and sorted the recycling and bins but also need to hoover and dust, change the bed and clean the bathrooms. I also have a set of test papers to mark and a report to finish and some planning for the coming week so there's plenty to be doing and I can have a proper day off tomorrow. The dog walk will have to wait until they've been, hopefully it will have brightened up a bit by then.

Right, off to change the bed and clean upstairs.....rock and roll....
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    The sofas arrived at 9am but still waiting for the old ones to be collected - they said it should be by lunchtime. My house is chockablock with furniture at the moment!
    I've managed to quickly walk the dog, change the bed, clean the bathrooms, Hoover and dust upstairs, put a load of washing on and have a bath. Also, defuzzed, tidied my eyebrows, sort my toenails and moisturised everything. Needed an overhaul - looking a bit tatty round the edges. Found a posh eye cream I forgot I had and have slathered it on ;)

Going out with OH later this afternoon for a quiet drink then he's cooking tea and we'll probably end up watching a film. Both really tired today.
    Going to have a browse online for new cushions - not sure what I want yet and what would look best. Need some ideas....
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope your OH is cooking you a lovely tea!

As for cushions... I am in love with these. https://www.stevenbrownart.co.uk/collections/all-cushions They had 50% off though for Black Friday, so personally I won't be getting any at the higher price. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure