Partner never uses my name, is this weird

Options
I've been with my partner for 13 years now, I cant really remember when he stopped addressing me by my name, or by any other term of endearment, but its been significantly obvious to me for the last couple of years. He addresses other family members by their names but not me. I raised this with him a couple of months ago, explaining that it upset me, but he offered no explanation nor has there been any change.

Has this happened to anyone else out there?

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why does it upset you?

Does he ever need to address you by name and if so, what does he say instead?

I can't say it would bother me in the slightest.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    if he doesn't address you using your name or an endearment, how does he address you?
  • dogcat_2
    dogcat_2 Posts: 21,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So what does he call you? How does he get your attention? Will he only talk to you if you!!!8217;re in the same room? It!!!8217;s never happened to me, but I would also think it strange, if he never uses your name, not even occasionally.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless I'm trying to attract my boyfriend's attention then I don't really use his name when speaking to him. We also don't use pet names.

I find people who over use names a bit creepy, especially if it's clear who is being addressed.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Come and live here, my wife calls me fat sh*t!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I very rarely call my gf by her name. Normally I am talking to here so why would I need to address her. If we are in company again I don't need to address her.

Normally with people you are comfortable with and on the same wave length you don't need to say "name" give me the fork or "name" pass me the salt.
  • vodkafrog
    vodkafrog Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    If Im out of sight in the house he would just shout out eg ' your coffee's in the kitchen' if I dont reply, depending on the degree of importance in getting a response from me, he would come and find me.

Why it upsets me ...is that in society we give names, terms of endearment to anything or anyone of value to us. He uses the names or nicknames of everyone else in our family, I find it completely perplexing that he doesn't offer me the same.
  • vodkafrog
    Options
    dogcat wrote: »
    So what does he call you? How does he get your attention? Will he only talk to you if you!!!8217;re in the same room? It!!!8217;s never happened to me, but I would also think it strange, if he never uses your name, not even occasionally.

He doesn't call me anything.... Not love, sweetheart, darling or anything.... I am nameless.
  • dogcat_2
    dogcat_2 Posts: 21,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My partner doesn!!!8217;t overuse my name, but there are times, where maybe we are in different rooms, he will call my name. If I am reading or using iPad and in the same room he will use my name to get my attention.
  • vodkafrog
    edited 1 April 2018 at 6:06PM
    Options
    lika_86 wrote: »
    Unless I'm trying to attract my boyfriend's attention then I don't really use his name when speaking to him. We also don't use pet names.

I find people who over use names a bit creepy, especially if it's clear who is being addressed.

I get what your saying re the over use of a partners name... but this is at the other end of the spectrum, never on any occasion over the last few years has he addressed me by my name or called my name out if trying to get my attention.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure