Tandem Bank credit card woes

Options

Comments

• epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beany_bot wrote: »
    Our CEO does. Don't see why not. Obviously not full time.

Would you pay £1,000 for a TV from one company if the same TV was available from another reputable company for £500? If not why do you think a business would want to spend £1000 solving some customer service complaints when delegating them to other staff would cost £500?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    epm-84 wrote: »
    If not why do you think a business would want to spend £1000 solving some customer service complaints when delegating them to other staff would cost £500
    A company might prefer to spend £1,000 to solve the root cause of a series of related problems instead of paying £500 to solve an individual problem but not gaining an understanding of why that problem arose in the first place.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March 2019 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    A company might prefer to spend £1,000 to solve the root cause of a series of related problems instead of paying £500 to solve an individual problem but not gaining an understanding of why that problem arose in the first place.

I was basing the £500 on the Customer Services Manager addressing the problem, not on it going unresolved. A CEO dropping in and out of customer service duties as they feel like might give them a false impression about the highest priority problems and end up in the company spending a lot to resolve a minor issue (that they've picked up on) and ignoring a larger issue (that they've not picked up on.) Plus the CEO undermining a manager they appointed can result in a high staff turnover level and consequently additional recruitment and training costs. A customer services manager overseeing everything and reporting KPIs to the CEO on a regular basis is a more efficient process.
  • boypacer
    boypacer Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving it a go - if anyone wants to refer me I'd be very grateful!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boypacer wrote: »
    I'm thinking of giving it a go - if anyone wants to refer me I'd be very grateful!

Check the referrals board
  • DELLBOY_2
    DELLBOY_2 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    TANDEMS CARD APP AND CUSTOMER SERVICE IS CRAP

Got a card to get the cashback option as i spend maybe £2000a month on my card (which i pay off ) plus i had 2 cards offering good (0%) balance transfer rates .

So card came with £11000 limit away to homebase after registering the card and imforming them my first purchase would be at homebase for just shy of £1500 (SO FAR ALL GOOD) Egg on my face when it was declined twice for no reason . no contact from them via phone or app . So i rang them and 48 hours later got an appology but with no explanation except technical hitch . So after being convinced that next time my card would work i used it for a couple of sub £50 transaction . All Good . I then phoned them to tell them i was doing a £4000 transaction the following week followed by a £3000 within 3 days (both of which i said i would do a balance transfer on straight away which was agreed) all ok and it went through .Then the below the belt bit Santender will not balance transfer to TANDEM (Tandem blamed them and suggested first direct or HSBC ) So tried their reccomended ones and yep youve guessed it NOPE .
    After numerous calls texts chats and e mails TANDEM cannot do balance transfers either way (send or recieve) .
    TOTAL LACK OF PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE FROM THE CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM

AVOID
  • paganmanwales
    Options
    I have had a tandem card since November 2018. I stopped using my Nationwide Card as they had cut the cashback rate to 0.25%. The instant notificationof any spending is useful, as is the cashback being credited monthly. The only problem using the card was when it was rejected by a Tesco pay at pump, I had to use my nationwide card. The app still looks clunky and the balance shown is often incorrect. Adding up the spending on the card agrees with what I have on my spreadsheet, but not with the balance outstanding shown on the app, very irritating! The only other gripe is that they will not increase your credit limit. from the rather poor £4000 that it is at the moment. The direct debits have been collected without any problem, so overall, not a bad card.
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2019 at 11:37AM
    Options
    I have had a tandem card since November 2018. I stopped using my Nationwide Card as they had cut the cashback rate to 0.25%. The instant notificationof any spending is useful, as is the cashback being credited monthly. The only problem using the card was when it was rejected by a Tesco pay at pump, I had to use my nationwide card. The app still looks clunky and the balance shown is often incorrect. Adding up the spending on the card agrees with what I have on my spreadsheet, but not with the balance outstanding shown on the app, very irritating! The only other gripe is that they will not increase your credit limit. from the rather poor £4000 that it is at the moment. The direct debits have been collected without any problem, so overall, not a bad card.

I have also had this issue with Tesco pay at pump machines, so I contacted Tandem. This was their response:
    We have a known issue with some petrol pumps that is affecting a number of other banks too. You can always pay at the kiosk inside with our credit card, with ASDA as one exception. We apologise for this, an explanation is below.

Over a year ago now, Mastercard issued a directive stating that they wanted all merchants to update the software on their Pay-at-Pump machines, so that they pre-authorise an arbitrary amount of £100.00 and then debited the customer the cost of the fuel they go on to fill up with; rather than the previous method which at times left customers in overdrafts or over-limit.

Tandem are adhering to what Mastercard have mandated, and have seen a number of the fuel companies updating their software to allow our card through.
  • paganmanwales
    Options
    Nick 74, Thanks for the reply, very interesting!
  • andy_poulton
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    It’s clearly laid out there are 2 different cards when applying.

This is no fault of Tandem

Thats as may be BUT I rang them and they told me how to apply online and not via the app.
    This I did.

Terrible low credit.

Now they say I must have applied for a JOURNEY card not cashback as that IS available on line.

The cash back only via the APP.

I am savvy but that did fool me as there was no mention.
    Now I have asked about the credit limit 4 times and online.
    At last someone has picked up on this and going to investigate.

Cheers Andy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport