We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prosperous soul in the making

Options

Comments

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,846 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like you've been productive. Well done
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Paid £170.99 off a CC today. That brings us to £965 paid off CC's this month. It drops our total CC debt to £26547 which is £20K less than when I started this diary in Feb 2018.:j

Still dealing with all the normal challenges - DH having some spend £ in a different account but still using this one etc and having to get him to transfer the £ back. I am now updating next month's budget (starts 15th). Unless we get a windfall from somewhere - I am not going to hit my payment targets this month or next as I need to get the EF topped back up to £1K and I want to start buying Christmas presents. DH has said he is happy to wait until Jan pay day - he wants drumming lessons ;). I am about half way through buying for DD. I need to plan what I'm getting for anyone else and come up with a present budget. I have 4 family birthdays between Nov and Jan paydays too including more expensive ones like MIL and DS.

If DS doesn't repay the remaining £600 he owes us before this time next year I think we are going to struggle to reach our target. We are docking £400 out of this term - but when he gets back from Oz need to agree a plan to repay the rest.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 235 payments to go - now £182,428 Equity 27.02%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £6.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.2K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.1K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.1K
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Wow just look at all the progress here! Great to see - and also the positivity around whatever happens with your DH's job as well. It's easy to see changes like that as "always" dreadful - but it really doesn't always work out that way does it. I'm financially FAR worse off now than I was in my previous job but it made such a huge positive change to both my MH and quality of life - I'd just never even contemplate going back to such a toxic environment.

Fingers crossed for you getting the right result to help DD from the assessment as well. It does sound as though things might be falling into place a bit there.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's easy to see changes like that as "always" dreadful - but it really doesn't always work out that way does it. I'm financially FAR worse off now than I was in my previous job but it made such a huge positive change to both my MH and quality of life - I'd just never even contemplate going back to such a toxic environment.

Exactly the same here, I could have written that myself.
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Truly great figures there SH. You should be proud of yourself :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Well done on the decluttering SH. I am in the middle of doing it myself. It's always a relief when the bags leave the house.

You have done amazingly well since your LBM. The amount you have knocked off is inspirational!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Hi SH,
    That is tremendous progress :beer:
    Keep going, cheering you on.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £369k 
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Thanks all - it was lovely to come back to so many positive messages.

Well my payday has been and gone so £102.51 paid off the mortgage and £650 off CC4. So now below £26K!

I have started Christmas present shopping. I got a half price item in B00ts and got £4 in points too. I now have over £11 in points ready to spend. This week I have also had some cashback so have withdrawn £37 to a Primarni voucher so I can use it to fund part of DD's clothing allowance due in December. I suggested to her that maybe we went shopping after her assessment on the 25/11 if she is upto it as I thought it would cheer her up. In general DD has been doing much better and is building a good social life again. I had to go to a planned meeting at the school on Friday am. They were really supportive. I was really apprehensive beforehand but needn't have been.

Today I've made some soup and have chicken roasting in the oven. DH and DD have helped me get the washing done. I also used my personal spends to get some new clothes at TKM@xx I got a really beautiful turquoise designer cardigan (£20), a cold shoulder scarlet top (£4) and a black and white top (£15) plus some socks... I was really pleased. Also spoken to DS who is coming home to see MIL and us in a couple of weeks time. I've decided to do a Christmas dinner that day so today I bought some beautiful crackers at HB for £5 and some serviettes for less than £1.

I'm starting to feel more positive again. Looking forward to the break at Xmas - although my boss hasn't fully signed off my leave... Hoping she will.
    3) CC £6.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.2K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    6) SIPP £4.1K
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Soup on and a chicken in the oven. Both those things centre me and convince me all is right with the world. You got some great bargains for Christmas too.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Thanks DIA. The roast chicken dinner was tasty as was the soup. Took pooch for a walk last night too.

Need to force myself to finish getting ready and go to work. Been up an hour slowly surfacing lol and now need to get a shift on. Completely over-spent at the weekend and had to move some money around - but had enough to cover it. It was because I started buying Christmas and birthday presents. The £ is in the 'month's' budget but mentally I forgot we hadn't had DH's pay yet (it comes Wednesday).

One of the things I bought was a present for MIL reduced to £20 from £40. It's her birthday coming up. Thinking of just adding a small posy of flowers to it in some crystal I bought earlier in the year. She told us to keep our money... Don't believe she truly meant it but it would help to reduce our costs. She always used to take us out as a family for her birthday - but we offered to host it this year. I also bought some activity books for my nephews and some cute board books for my youngest niece. Decided I will just add a tenner each to them rather than the £20 each I normally spend. So just trying to shave off a few pounds at a time. I've started a Xmas spreadsheet.
    6) SIPP £4.1K
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family