Prosperous soul in the making

Options

Comments

• Hi savings - i've not been able to get on much lately - pleased to hear DD is getting out on her bike. & good luck with the appointment for her - sorry i can't recall the date of it just now :o but hoping good things come from it.

Despite having been ill and not on here i did manage to declutter 10 things this weekend so i've made a start there :T

I have got to do more though - a clean, tidy clutter-free christmas doesn't seem like it will happen this year but with all other stresses going on it will be a help so i'm going for 40 items this week :eek: Which will mean 50 gone in total :D are you up to a challenge?
    Mortgage Balance
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Lucielle - good idea on the glass - I could take my best piece to work and see if there is any interest. I am planning to dust off some of my stock for gifts to a few things I've been invited to.

EH - thanks for posting. Fighting so hard to be good - when eating out is calling... DD made it to and from college today - and stayed all day despite not feeling at her best. Just hope she goes in tomorrow.

Had a much better than expected week this week with things at my work and DH's work so hopefully things are on the up. Get paid at the end of next week. Have a CC payment going out on Monday. Need to get back in the flow of batch cooking, walking and decluttering - not all at once though ;)

DH is worried part of his work could be out-sourced - but I think that could be a real blessing if it happened especially if they ended up paying him off. It would take months anyway and as long as he got uncapped redundancy pay I would be relaxed about it. He would get around £13K I reckon. If that was tax free we could make that last at least 6 months. I am at peace about it - but have more confidence in him that he does. My BIL took VR earlier this year and now earns £12K extra! I am pretty confident I could earn more if I left too but I was waiting to a) deliver this piece of work that has just gone live and b) until DD settles down and c) the effect of DD on our own MH stabilises. Also DS still at uni. Could do with being CC free before taking major risk.

2 weeks 3 days until DD's assessment - feel life is on hold a little while we wait for that. Praying for a positive outcome - which in this case would be a label - and potentially then the opportunity to get targeted help for her and potentially also get her to apply for a PIP. If she qualified - I would potentially stop giving her pocket money, clothing allowance, school dinner money etc and she would just use that instead. I think in turn I would lose child benefit (£82). I currently spend £105+ (excluding board and lodgings) on her per month between pocket money, clothing allowance and school dinners so would still be quids in. If she qualified - she could get something like £53 per week I think.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • savingholmes
    Options
    DD might then also qualify for the £300 bursary she was turned down for when she started 6th form.
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Despite having been ill and not on here i did manage to declutter 10 things this weekend so i've made a start there :T

I have got to do more though - a clean, tidy clutter-free christmas doesn't seem like it will happen this year but with all other stresses going on it will be a help so i'm going for 40 items this week :eek: Which will mean 50 gone in total :D are you up to a challenge?
    You're on!:eek::eek::eek: I have decluttered about 6 of DH's shirts this week - so claiming that as 6/50 so far. DD will be thrilled.
  • Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cheering you both on in your de-cluttering challenge!! Are you simply removing to the local charity shop or trying to sell the items that you de-clutter? I have lots of things to declutter but always think someone would want them, but invariably no-one does, so they stay with me forever!

50 items is a big number! Hope all goes well with DD.
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Thanks Tahlullah. I am taking stuff to charity or binning stuff. I am useless at posting stuff (including returns :eek: so ebay just isn't for me right now. DH won't do it either.

I've spent most of my evening obsessing over potential SiPP versus mortgage and early retirement dates even though I am a year away from serious overpayments. I am really impatient. DH and I want to have choices. I think I need to work - for the social as much as the challenge but it would be nice not to need to work full time upto age 67.

I have re-bought an item that got refunded after I failed to pick it up on time. I've paid extra for delivery...
  • savingholmes
    edited 9 November 2019 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Stripey - I'm on 35/50 items decluttered. I did count some kiddie bangles individually lol which definitely helped. Went to CS. Also some bead necklaces, an old decoupage item, and some unused or part used decade old items from the utility. It took less than 10 mins but I am now back to laptop to recouperate. Later today I need to sort out a card for my niece - which I will either make or use from my stash. Hopefully take a bag of stuff to Sis that we decluttered ages ago but didn't get around to giving...
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,780 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All going in the right direction. Any chance of finding some glass to take to work?
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can you come round mine and declutter my stuff?? I've been putting it off for a few weeks but feel mildly inspired to get it done!

If you have an idea about DD and what her conditions are, can she not claim PIP anyway and then get it reassessed when she her her diagnosis? As I don't think it asks for condition names, just how it affects day-to-day (plenty of threads about it if you haven't ventured into the benefit forum, and some really helpful posters too).

Have you given DH facts, figures and plans in case he is let go? Perhaps that may sway his mind a bit.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savingholmes
    Options
    lucielle wrote: »
    All going in the right direction. Any chance of finding some glass to take to work?L
    That's a really good suggestion - there is one particular fan at work so I could target her in particular and see if she isinterested.
    Can you come round mine and declutter my stuff?? I've been putting it off for a few weeks but feel mildly inspired to get it done!

If you have an idea about DD and what her conditions are, can she not claim PIP anyway and then get it reassessed when she her her diagnosis? As I don't think it asks for condition names, just how it affects day-to-day (plenty of threads about it if you haven't ventured into the benefit forum, and some really helpful posters too).

Have you given DH facts, figures and plans in case he is let go? Perhaps that may sway his mind a bit.
    Well I reckon DD could hire her services out for decluttering - but not me. I can find a use for anything! That said - decluttered 3 more plastic items- jugs and the like - how at 38/50.

With DD - her conditions are hard to prove - her last school gave her zero help and replied to a paediatrician that she was just shy so unhelpful. Her new 6th form are seeing more of the real her - so hopefully that will help with evidence. I have a meeting to go to at the school this Friday which may help with that evidence gathering. Her assessment on the 25/11 will hopefully be the last piece of the evidence puzzle. I may look at the benefits forums - I know I don't qualify for carer's allowance but she may qualify for a PIP. I think in many ways she has gone undiagnosed partly because we have reasonably good incomes - which helps mask our difficulties as a family.

With DH there is no offer on the table - more a threat. There's a meeting about it early December - but he thinks even if they make decision they are likely to take months to implement by which point we should have paid down more debt and be less reliant on his income. If it happened after next November - it would slow down mortgage / pension plans but could boost the EF and if he got a job by say January - could improve them... As I say - right now I am really chilled about it.

Just taken pooch out to a local playing fields and she got in a good run with 4 or 5 other dogs for around an hour so really chuffed. I've continued to play with pension calculaors :rotfl: this weekend. I quite like the idea of mini sabbaticals - rather than waiting until formal retirement to start 'freedom' years. I really need to chase my old pension - and arrange a meeting with a pension advisor.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure