Options

Comments

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope your short rest made you feel a little better. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Options
    The B&B sounds great. Hope it offers you the opportunity to stand back and smell the roses.
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Crystal and Tahlullah. It was lovely to have 24 hours of peace. Before I went, I offered to pay DD to do our washing - so I came back and didn't feel behind which was good. This week is going reasonably okay. Spent too much at the weekend but just need to get back on track. It will work out. No CC payments due until we get in November... DH has been on call this week covering for a colleague - and was up most of last night dealing with a fault. He's exhausted bless him but the overtime will be good when he gets it.

I need to organise getting some photocopying of DD's medical letters done before her appointment in just under 4 weeks time... I also need to see what else I can dig out in terms of old records to try and support getting a diagnosis for her. It's always hard as you want to tell everyone your kid is great but when you are trying to get them assessed to get some help you kind of have to do the opposite.

DH is pushing me out of my comfort zone too - he wants me to go to a Chinese meal as part of a fundraiser. We've been before but I hate it. It's small talk with people I don't really know and its very loud. The closest friends we know there are unlikely to be there as the guy has left the organisation... I am always too hungry and we always seem to be on the last table to be served... and I'm never convinced there's enough food so that makes it doubly awkward.

If I was being more positive, the organisation DH works for is putting on a free to employees and partners Christmas event at the end of November at a posh hotel with a special band... I'm not mad keen but hopefully it will be fun (and its very local so we could escape easily if we needed to). The setting is beautiful. Ironically - I think it might be at the same place as my daughter's prom was held in! The day after we've been invited to a celebration at the same hotel I went to a wedding at earlier in the year. We're not very social so while individually these are potentially good things - I worry I may find them overwhelming. I am also completely overweight so worry what I will wear.... Both these events are the same week as DD's assessment. Her's is on the Monday and then these two events are on the Thursday and Friday. I have the Monday booked off for her appointment. I can probably work from home on the Thursday and book the Friday off although work is going through a peak workload period so that isn't a definite.

On top of that, I need to agree a date for MIL to come over - either the Sunday before or the Sunday at the end of that week to celebrate her birthday - and it may be the last time I see DS before he goes off to Oz for Christmas (1 month)... He's not confirmed his availability yet. I'm also debating whether to go to my Christmas do where I work this year. It's not expensive and could be a good night - and I can take DH - just weighing up whether I will enjoy or endure it... Again - part of the issue is what would I wear?

Life is so busy!!! I don't know how people cope who go out regularly - but then they are probably wired very differently...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    It's horrible having to focus on a child's difficulties when you can see how awesome they are. I have just had to do the dreaded Dla form again for the smallest, was in tears by the end of it. So hard to have to describe his worst days. I hate that it is so negative, and it feels judgy too.

I hope the assessment goes OK.

Enjoy an evening out with your husband. I would love to go to these sorts of things, but my hubby refuses all these invitations with his work.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • remote_control
    Options
    Have you looked at the 800 calorie diet from Michael Mosley? I did it for 2 weeks before a wedding and lost 5lb. I didn't follow it that closely, just got loads of tips. I felt so good about myself and proud that I'd put the effort in.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,856 Forumite
    Options
    If you wear something that's comfortable you can just forget about it.
    Trousers and a long loose top maybe? I don't see why you can't wear the same outfit to different events, or maybe a change of top? The thing to remember is that as long as you are comfortable then you will be relaxed and to be honest most people will be totally uninterested in what you are wearing. Smile and be pleasant and that's what people remember. Forget about everything else and just enjoy different surroundings and your OHs company. (((hugs)))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    You'll find something to wear and it will be good for you and OH to have a night out. If you don't go what about planning something with OH on the same night so you don't feel you have missed out?
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • savingholmes
    Options
    It's horrible having to focus on a child's difficulties when you can see how awesome they are. I have just had to do the dreaded Dla form again for the smallest, was in tears by the end of it. So hard to have to describe his worst days. I hate that it is so negative, and it feels judgy too.

I hope the assessment goes OK
    Hi Drawingaline - I was always taught never to put anything negative in writing so it goes against the grain... hugs about your form too - and for your DS With the assessment - it's that weird thing of hoping you do get a diagnosis for DD to explain what's been going on...
    Have you looked at the 800 calorie diet from Michael Mosley? I did it for 2 weeks before a wedding and lost 5lb. I didn't follow it that closely, just got loads of tips. I felt so good about myself and proud that I'd put the effort in.
    I have done the 5:2 diet in the past but don't sustain it for long enough. I have too much weight to lose.
    Chrystal wrote: »
    If you wear something that's comfortable you can just forget about it.
    Trousers and a long loose top maybe? I don't see why you can't wear the same outfit to different events, or maybe a change of top? The thing to remember is that as long as you are comfortable then you will be relaxed and to be honest most people will be totally uninterested in what you are wearing. Smile and be pleasant and that's what people remember. Forget about everything else and just enjoy different surroundings and your OHs company. (((hugs)))
    Good advice Crystal. I've bought a dress and see through shawl from Amazon - for about £23 (last night) - will see what that looks like on. I bought a dress from the same people in the summer and wore that to a wedding - and got lots of compliments. I agree with the comfortable thing - I also need to ensure I don't over-heat which is challenging for me.
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • savingholmes
    Options
    You'll find something to wear and it will be good for you and OH to have a night out. If you don't go what about planning something with OH on the same night so you don't feel you have missed out?
    Thanks DIA - that is how I am trying to see it as date nights with OH. I just wish they weren't all coming so close together. At the Friday do will be loads of people I like and get on with - so that should be a lot easier.

Pooch is finally off her season so can go for walks again. I bought some walking boots to try and get on track with exercise. I am planning to fit the with those quick release type bungee laces. I am hoping that it will encourage me to go out walking more with the dog - regardless of whether DH or anyone else comes with me. Listening to 'books' or music while walking channels my brain in a positive direction. I was originally planning to join the gym but am not feeling it - where doggy's longing eyes to go out work a treat... :)
  • savingholmes
    Options
    I've just received a letter about a stakeholder pension with AV**** I didn't know I had. It has £2854 in it. If I leave it alone until I am 65 it reckons it could be worth £3320 in total or £85 per year. I think I will leave it where it is for now until I am CC debt free - but then explore it more when I am looking at how much to pay off the mortgage and how much to put into pension. My old company pension never sent me an update when I asked - so need to chase that again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure