My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You sound so organised, OBL. It's far less stressful having a budget for Christmas, isn't it, & buying things in good time. I'm sure it's partly that panicky rush as December gets underway that encourages people to buy way more than they need. It sounds like you are finding your new festive levels of planning & organisation much less stressful. It's definitely the way forward. I think it's so easy to be swept away on a tide of consumerism, otherwise, & we both know how much that impacts on January & February bank statements.........Oooooh, never again, m'duck!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Lovely to hear that you've had a good day. :)

I think you're worth 99p for a book you're really enjoying - hours of pleasure for next to nothing (I'd say that even if it was £9.99 as reading is my biggest vice - although not my only one!) :rotfl:

I'm gonna have to sort out how to use Pinterest properly - heaven knows I need some inspiration (and a kick up the butt) It sounds as though it's definitely inspired you, which is great.... and what a wonderful gift from DD :A
    Hope you have a good day tomorrow too. X

Thanks Chrystal, I do love to read and always have one book on the go,I have a pile waiting to be read in my bedroom but I keep finding others in various places,I'm saving the ones in my room for when I run out of places to find cheap books

Pinterest is very inspiring but you just have to be carful people you don't spend all your time on there looking at ideas but it actually dong anything with them ,this is what has happened to me in the last year,I'm going to get Xmas out the way now though and then concentrate on my house
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Glad you had a good day. 99p is not huge, as long as it is only one 99p!

It's FBs fault,I was on there jut now and saw another one for 99p that looked really good but I managed to keep scrolling :rotfl:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    99p isn't much for something you'll enjoy. Well done for not buying another one!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    You sound so organised, OBL. It's far less stressful having a budget for Christmas, isn't it, & buying things in good time. I'm sure it's partly that panicky rush as December gets underway that encourages people to buy way more than they need. It sounds like you are finding your new festive levels of planning & organisation much less stressful. It's definitely the way forward. I think it's so easy to be swept away on a tide of consumerism, otherwise, & we both know how much that impacts on January & February bank statements.........Oooooh, never again, m'duck!
    F x

I am so relaxed about it this year,I have actually enjoyed it so far this year whereas normally by now I'm a frazzled mess,I always used to be the person running around like a mad thing on Xmas Eve panic buying all the wrong things,I also used to constantly get the things out that I had bought and then buy more because it didn't look like enough,this year it's been wrapped as soon as it has come into the house,it's then ticked off my list and put in a bag and won't be looked at until Xmas Eve when I put the pressies under the tree,this means that i won't be looking at it and worrying and if I do think it's not enough on Xmas Eve it will be too late because the shops will be shut:rotfl:

Definitely never again for me :A
  • redofromstart
    Options
    You sound very organised!

I get sucked into 99p kindle books too, but for me that is essential spending. I do free or low costs trials on kindle unlimited too which helps. Our library does free ebooks and magazines but they don't work with kindle sadly.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    It was my day to have DGS today so I have been busy with him all day,I had to go into town for some food shopping and was supposed to buy my last couple of Xmas presents but I couldn't because DD got to work to find she wasn't needed so she met me in town and as one of the presents was for her I had to leave it

I'm now going in on Thursday which is fine as I know exactly what I want so it won't take long,I also have to make sure the clothes I'm taking to Bristol are ironed, we aren't taking much seeing as we are only staying overnight
    I finalised plans with my sister today because she is popping over to feed the cat for us and make sure his litter tray is clean
    DD 1 is coming to pick the dog up at lunch time on Saturday and taking her to their house until late afternoon on Sunday and we will be back in the early evening, she won't like going to their house because their dog is only young and likes to play whereas our dog likes to lounge on the sofa,he annoys her a bit but then she is 11 so so quite a lot older than him

Tomorrow I'm back at work but only on a late so start at 12 and finish at 8 which means I don't have to get up early in the morning
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I am so relaxed about it this year,I have actually enjoyed it so far this year whereas normally by now I'm a frazzled mess,I always used to be the person running around like a mad thing on Xmas Eve panic buying all the wrong things,I also used to constantly get the things out that I had bought and then buy more because it didn't look like enough,this year it's been wrapped as soon as it has come into the house,it's then ticked off my list and put in a bag and won't be looked at until Xmas Eve when I put the pressies under the tree,this means that i won't be looking at it and worrying and if I do think it's not enough on Xmas Eve it will be too late because the shops will be shut:rotfl:

Definitely never again for me :A

That sounds like a very good ploy to stop overspending :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    You sound very organised!

I get sucked into 99p kindle books too, but for me that is essential spending. I do free or low costs trials on kindle unlimited too which helps. Our library does free ebooks and magazines but they don't work with kindle sadly.
    It's the first time I've ever been organised for anything I think:rotfl:
    The 99p books are such a good deal,even the ones at the charity shop are more expensive than that,have you tried using the Libby app for library books, it doesn't do magazines unfortunately but has some really good books on it,you sometimes have to wait a while to get the book but it's worth it
    I have the kindle app on my iPad so use it that way
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,233 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I get sucked into 99p kindle books too.

Ahem :o

I've just bought two of them. :o

I find the library app doesn't work on Kindle either. I've only ever got one book to download which is a shame as it would save me some cash (that I could then spend on more expensive books ;) ).
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure