We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Your day with DD sounds lovely :). I'm not that keen on pizza but sometimes crave a takeaway curry.

I haven't wrapped a single present yet so you're very organised compared to me :).

It was a lovely day:)
    I do also like a takeaway curry and we have a lovey Greek place not far from us and their food is yummy

As i said to Nicnak being organised for Xmas is unheard of for me ,I am definitely going to make sure I do the same for next year though as I have enjoyed the run up to it so much more this year, saving the money up also made a massive difference along with being strong and cutting then sticking to my budget
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Yes it is much less stressful having the money set aside to pay for things :). It incentivises you to be organised with writing cards and putting up decorations, which doesn't cost money but is a right faff to do!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Yes it is much less stressful having the money set aside to pay for things :). It incentivises you to be organised with writing cards and putting up decorations, which doesn't cost money but is a right faff to do!
    Thats true Hairy,although old habits die hard and I still haven't written my Christmas cards:rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 December 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    So after a truely lovely shift at work yesterday I have two days off,in fact this week is quite nice,I have two days off then a late then a day off then a LD and then I'm off for a week :j

When I got home last night Me and DD sat down and did an online M T shop,she wanted to do a bulk buy of cat litter and cat food so we needed to make the money up to make it worthwhile,we decided to order the Xmas drinks because that's too heavy to carry home on the bus,we ordered everything for the meal apart from the veg and potatoes so all we need to buy when we go out to Mr T is the actual fresh bits for the Xmas meal
    We started off buying too much then we went through it again and put lots back because we simply don't need it and it would probably be wasted,the Xmas food so far has come to the grand total of £45.50 for the food we bought last night incuding bottles of alcohol,my alcohol stock had dwindled so needed to restock,I bought choccys and things a few weeks ago but I can't remember how much that came to off the top of my head,I might have posted about it here, there will be 5 of us here on Xmas day
    Last year I was taken to Mr T by DDs boyfriend in the car,I took my trusty credit card but didn't really have a plan,I had a rough list of what I needed but going round the shop I just chucked things willy nilly into my trolley, I think I spent around £140 that day on food,plus bits I had bought in the weeks leading up to that shopping trip,this year I have planned it and spent much less:j
    The stupid thing about last year and spending all that money was that we weren't actually here on Xmas day:eek:
    The plan today was to go into town and finish my present shopping but I changed my mind because the house badly needs tidying and cleaning and I needed to change my bedding plus clean the chickens out,so I decided to stay at home today and have a full day at tackling the house than I will go into town tomorrow and finish my shopping

So far I've stripped my bed and got that in the machine,I've cleaned the kitchen and polished and hoovered downstairs,I'm just having a coffee before going upstairs to hoover and polish up there,then hopefully I will have time to sort the chickens out:)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You've been very productive today and well done on spending less on the Christmas shop :T. It's very easy to lose the plot with Christmas spending
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I'm sure you haven't forgotten anything. You have been too organised to do that. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are very organised OBL and all on a budget which makes it even better.

Your day with DD sounded lovely. Enjoy your days off over the following few days.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Today has been really nice,sometimes it's good to just be at home pottering about and not try to squeeze things in around a trip to town,I managed to get all my jobs done including cleaning out the chickens,I have a load of washing to put on tomorrow but that can be done at any time
    I do have to go into town tomorrow though because I want to finish my present shop and I need some food shopping too and some sawdust,it will be the ideal time to buy that as i will have DGS in the buggy so I can put it in the basket underneath
    The shopping order arrived from Mr T so that's been put away for Xmas and today I transferred the rest of the Xmas savings money into my current account,I'm going to draw it out tomorrow so I can buy the last presents and then the rest is for the fresh food I have to buy next week for our Xmas dinner, DD has told me she is also going to contribute to the final bill which is lovely of her

I was a bit naughty today and bought a book for 99p,it's a kindle version and I have the kindle app on my iPad ,it's a ghost story called Don't Look Back and I've been reading it all night,I'm really enjoying it so far

I also fell down the Pinterest rabbit hole earlier and caught up in looking at ways to organise your home,I want to give the house a spruce up next year so I'm looking at ways to organise myself to make life easier
    As part of her no spend year DD has offered her time instead of presents for birthdays etc so she is going to be helping me do some jobs around the house,I bought a massive tin of the paint that my house is painted in last year but haven't used it yet,so we can use that to spruce up the living room,I am also supposed to decorating the bathroom and have all the supplies but non of the motivation so that is the first room we are going to tackle
    I'm feeling quite excited about next year as I am really going to focus on sorting out the house and it will be nice to have some help
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lovely to hear that you've had a good day. :)

I think you're worth 99p for a book you're really enjoying - hours of pleasure for next to nothing (I'd say that even if it was £9.99 as reading is my biggest vice - although not my only one!) :rotfl:

I'm gonna have to sort out how to use Pinterest properly - heaven knows I need some inspiration (and a kick up the butt) It sounds as though it's definitely inspired you, which is great.... and what a wonderful gift from DD :A
    Hope you have a good day tomorrow too. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Glad you had a good day. 99p is not huge, as long as it is only one 99p!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills