We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• How nice to have a day out with your DD. Sorry to hear about your poor leg though. ☹️
    I agree with @Sun_Addict - it's very petty and unfair if your employer puts you on formal monitoring. 
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • milann
    Options
    I’m another that agrees the formal monitoring is unfair. They should give line managers more leeway to weed out the genuine cases…..but I suppose that would put line manager a target of being accused of favouritism…..I used to get very wound up when I knew it wall be happening. 
    I’ve never used a pom-pom maker - old fashioned cardboard here. Does it make it easier to do ? I was looking at them last week they had some rices at £5 and some at £7 on the same stand for the same thing…..can’t remember if there were 3 or 4 in the pack. I’m wondering if it would make it easier for gdd.
    Hope your leg improves 🤞
    January spends - £587.58
  • It annoys me when workplaces put people on formal monitoring when it’s obvious that person has had a run of bad luck with health. They must know whether people are genuine or not. Although I know it’s an automatic trigger when you hit a certain marker, it happened to me when I broke my ankle the first time. You can’t go if you’re in pain so it is what it is. 
    It annoys me too but I have just decided they have to do what they have to and I have to do what I have to. They have to be seen to offering you support but sometimes it doesn't come across that way especially when you can tell from the tone of voice that the person who answered your call was annoyed that you wouldn't be in 🤷‍♀️
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • How nice to have a day out with your DD. Sorry to hear about your poor leg though. ☹️
    I agree with @Sun_Addict - it's very petty and unfair if your employer puts you on formal monitoring. 
    It was a nice day and I was pleased with myself for not spending lots of money. My flaming leg is really getting on my nerves now,it's stopping me from doing so many things 
  • milann said:
    I’m another that agrees the formal monitoring is unfair. They should give line managers more leeway to weed out the genuine cases…..but I suppose that would put line manager a target of being accused of favouritism…..I used to get very wound up when I knew it wall be happening. 
    I’ve never used a pom-pom maker - old fashioned cardboard here. Does it make it easier to do ? I was looking at them last week they had some rices at £5 and some at £7 on the same stand for the same thing…..can’t remember if there were 3 or 4 in the pack. I’m wondering if it would make it easier for gdd.
    Hope your leg improves 🤞
    I used to get wound up but don't anymore because there is nothing I can do about it 🤷‍♀️
    I have never tried the cardboard method of making Pom poms but they are very easy to do with a Pom Pom maker . I buy the ones made by Clover as they seem to be quite long lasting, you can get cheaper ones but I'm not sure how good they are or if they break easily 😊
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    We had a great GP, sadly now retired, and he always used to ask if you went to him with a problem ‘what is it stopping you doing’. If it was something that stopped you doing something he took it seriously. You need to get your leg looked at and get it sorted, you can’t carry on like this.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Eventually got to sleep last night and have spent today trying not to walk too far. I took B out for a short walk round the block ( she is on restricted exercise due to limping ) I was limping all the way round.

I came home and made myself a coffee then settled on the settee with a couple of magazines with my leg up on a cushion. Later I did a quick tidy of the kitchen and then sat down again for a bit 

I've painted the numbers for the advent house and also the roof,it will need a second coat so I'm leaving it until tomorrow so I'm sure it's dry, then I need to paint the door on ,it's square on the calendar but I want it to have an arched top so I need to draw that on before painting the shape, then I can paint the main house white 

DD decided last week to try some Hello Fresh meals and I said I would go halves with her, anyway we looked at them but the vege selection was very limited so she cancelled the order ( or she thought she had 😀) We then decided to try Gousto instead and ended up setting up a subscription with them because there was more choice. The first Gousto box arrived this morning but just after that DD got a text from Hello Fresh to say her box would be delivered today 🙀so the cancellation hasn't gone through. We have now ended up with both boxes so have 9 meals to cook,our fridge is full and we have packets of stuff all over the place 😀 DD has paused next weeks Gousto box so we can use up what we have got. Tonight we had a Turkish meatfree mince and bulgar wheat pilaff and it was gorgeous, the servings are massive so we split it into three and we are having the third portion between us for lunch tomorrow, we are going to make some flat breads to go with it 😊
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Do you think those boxes are worth it? I must say I’ve been tempted but it would mainly be just me eating the contents. I like the idea of having your meals sorted for the week. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • I really liked them when I had them but they don’t really cater for allergies so I stopped them. 
    X
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • morning OBL and friends
    I've had one HF box so far.  My sis sent me a voucher for a free box so i only paid postage, i have another one arriving next week which i think is at reduced cost.  Not sure what full cost is.  I'm impressed with my first box.   The ingredients were fresh and lasted well and the instructions were clear.  One meal fed me twice and DD1 once. I get 3 meals for 2 people.  I'm veggie but i think you pay the same for meat meals (which seems unfair!).  It seems a bit wasteful in one respect as you get portion sizes eg one small packet of dried pasta, mini portion of cheese but all the veg is unwrapped and you get all ingredients for a meal in one paper bag.   I haven't wasted any of the ingredients.  Be interested in feedback on gousto.  Hope that helps :)

Your leg sounds very painful OBL, not sure if i've kept up to date - has it been diagnosed as sciatica?

happy Sunday all :)

Deni 

LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family