We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,690 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The food boxes sound interesting….enjoy.
    Hope the leg is a bit easier today.
    January spends - £587.58
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you think those boxes are worth it? I must say I’ve been tempted but it would mainly be just me eating the contents. I like the idea of having your meals sorted for the week. 
    DD had a discount code for Gousto so only paid £14 for four meals. I'm not sure yet if they will work out to be cost effective . The first meal we made did our dinner last night and we split the spare portion between us and had it for lunch,DD made some flatbreads to go with it, it would have been enough for a man evening meal I think ,I'm stuffed now 😊
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I really liked them when I had them but they don’t really cater for allergies so I stopped them. 
    X
    We found Hello Fresh didn't have a lot of choice for veggies,Gousto is better and cheaper, I'm only allergic to a couple of very specific foods so can get away with it 
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    morning OBL and friends
    I've had one HF box so far.  My sis sent me a voucher for a free box so i only paid postage, i have another one arriving next week which i think is at reduced cost.  Not sure what full cost is.  I'm impressed with my first box.   The ingredients were fresh and lasted well and the instructions were clear.  One meal fed me twice and DD1 once. I get 3 meals for 2 people.  I'm veggie but i think you pay the same for meat meals (which seems unfair!).  It seems a bit wasteful in one respect as you get portion sizes eg one small packet of dried pasta, mini portion of cheese but all the veg is unwrapped and you get all ingredients for a meal in one paper bag.   I haven't wasted any of the ingredients.  Be interested in feedback on gousto.  Hope that helps :)

Your leg sounds very painful OBL, not sure if i've kept up to date - has it been diagnosed as sciatica?

happy Sunday all :)

Deni 

The individual packages was the only thing that put me off. It will stop us from wasting food but there will be an increase in tiny packets being thrown away.

We have ordered 4 meals for two people and our first box was £14 because DD had a discount code,I'm not sure what the full price is but I think it's cheaper than HF.

HF looked good but the vegetarian choices weren't really things I would normally eat. We can't use two of the meals because one is mushroom based and DD is allergic, the other is an aubergine curry and I don't like them, when DD did the order she tried to swap those two out but we couldn't do it for some reason so that's why she cancelled it and tried  Gousto instead

I am impressed with the portion sizes as well and they are really easy to cook, plus it will tempt me to try things I wouldn't normally eat, last nights was Turkish and tonight is Moroccan 😀

My leg pain has been diagnosed over the phone by a GP as sciatica, it certainly fits the symptoms. I've got a physio appointment over the phone tomorrow so hopefully will get some advice on what to do about it 😊
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    milann said:
    The food boxes sound interesting….enjoy.
    Hope the leg is a bit easier today.
    The food we have tried so far was lovely 😊 my leg is still hurting but not as bad as it was on Friday. I'm just having to be careful how I sit and not to walk too far😟
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The comments on HF and Gousto are interesting. I've seen them advertised quite a bit in the media and always wondered how they stacked up in reality. 
    Glad to hear your leg is improving. 👍
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamer
    Options
    OBL i have had sciatica, it was grim.  Hope the physio can help.
    I had never heard of gousto until on the MSE forum.  I don't like mushrooms but i found choices on HF that i liked the sound of so there were alternatives for me.  I will see what my next box brings and then decide whether to cancel.  It does feel like an extravangance though!
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the idea of the food box's. Mainly because I loathe meal planning and cooking (love baking though!) Unfortunately with a very fussy family anything even slightly exotic is a no, so I have never found a recipe that we could all eat. So frustrating. I will keep on plodding on checking the supermarket websites for recipes I can adapt. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    The comments on HF and Gousto are interesting. I've seen them advertised quite a bit in the media and always wondered how they stacked up in reality. 
    Glad to hear your leg is improving. 👍
    Thanks SG, I just can't go too far at the moment but it's not constantly throbbing today which is a relief. The meals are good value but I wouldn't buy them if I was living on my own because they are really big servings,I know you can freeze some but don't think it would be that cost affective 
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    OBL i have had sciatica, it was grim.  Hope the physio can help.
    I had never heard of gousto until on the MSE forum.  I don't like mushrooms but i found choices on HF that i liked the sound of so there were alternatives for me.  I will see what my next box brings and then decide whether to cancel.  It does feel like an extravangance though!
    Ive had it before years ago but it wasn't as bad as this can get. I would have gladly chopped my leg off on Friday night 😟
    I don't think I would bother with the boxes if I was on my own,I've only joined in because DD wanted to try them so we are going halves on the cost. It does take the headache out of planning what to eat though but it's teaching me I can cook things from scratch if I plan and make sure I have the right ingredients.I tend to fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to my main meal and as a result I end up eating rubbish,I've really fallen out of love with cooking so I'm hoping this might reignite my interest .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure