My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    poppy811 said:
    masks are a way of protecting others if you have asymptomatic Covid so worth wearing if you can
    I haven't got Covid, I work for the NHS and I'm tested three times a week 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OBL - I'm so sorry to read your post. Leaving a beloved stepdad and sisters as you were forced to must have been horrendous for you. And it seems strange that your Mum returned to your dad after all that time knowing what sort of person he was. Still there's no accounting for how other people see things. 
    I would stress though that you should try not to feel guilty for something that isn't your problem and of your making.  Your mum and dad have basically made their bed together and have to lie on it now!  Just because they're blood doesn't mean you have to like them. 
    I would try not to tiptoe around them - they're not going to change now. And if your dad is still verbally abusing you and your family after all these years perhaps it would be best to reduce contact with him - for your own health and sanity.  My DD broke off all contact with her dad years ago in her early 20s because of how he was and never saw or contacted him again.  It hasn't particularly bothered her.  You could still see your mum more regularly. 
    Sorry - it is easy for me as an outsider to spout all this advice - I'm not living this like you are, but I do feel for you and send you hugs.

Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear this is making you feel stressed & unhappy @Onebrokelady. I think it is very unlikely that the situation re your parents' relationship is going to change now, so I think the only aspect of it over which you have any control at all, is your own reaction to it. This may be a case of stopping the 'tiptoeing' (this can reinforce an aggressive or difficult individual's bad habits) & telling yourself firmly that they chose to get back together. Their choice, so their problem. It's difficult to stand back from family realtionship problems, I know  - there are some longstanding ones in my extended family from which we have simply walked away because neither of us are 'tip-toers' iyswim, & nobody was interested in sitting down like rational adults & discussing the issues. See your parents, but if there is stressful behaviour/aggression, there is nothing at all wrong with you saying 'Well, I think I'll be off now, as I don't want to spend my day off witnessing arguments' or whatever the behaviour is. Then follow the statement through with action. I think that's what I'd do.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,582 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear this OBL….it must be very difficult for you. There are no words of wisdom I can offer as you are already avoiding seeing them together. All I can suggest is keep writing your feelings as it is an outlet for your emotions. I hope your mum sees him for what he is and does something to help herself…..but I’m guessing they’re very set in their ways. Are they still working or have they retired and spending more time together? Sending some positive vibes your way 🤞
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 October 2021 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Big hugs OBL, do what's right for you ,if that means severing ties then that's what you must do . Can you speak to your sisters about it ? Keep on writing here though if it helps. 
    I hope they haven't made you feel unwell. 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• Willowtree222
    Options
    I think you need to do what you can to protect yourself from this and it sounds like it makes you stressed. You recognising it is good though as it at least means you can avoid it as much as you can or where you can. 

Are you able to move away if that’s what you want abs need? Is there anything else you can do to get yourself away from this as much as possible? 
    Toxic people are difficult but even more so when you’re related to them. 
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2021 at 7:31PM
    Options
    My parents split up when I was 14 so I didn’t have to live with it for long but my dad was just like yours, you had to be so careful of what you said to him or he’d blow up. I was quite wilful so often got on the wrong side of him. I often found my mum in tears. 

Mr SA pre illness was very similar, thankfully that part of him went, one good thing to come out of the brain damage. 

Put yourself first, let your parents get on with it and try and keep them at arm’s length. As the saying goes you can choose your friends but not your family. You don’t have to put up with it. 

Sending hugs xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    OBL - I'm so sorry to read your post. Leaving a beloved stepdad and sisters as you were forced to must have been horrendous for you. And it seems strange that your Mum returned to your dad after all that time knowing what sort of person he was. Still there's no accounting for how other people see things. 
    I would stress though that you should try not to feel guilty for something that isn't your problem and of your making.  Your mum and dad have basically made their bed together and have to lie on it now!  Just because they're blood doesn't mean you have to like them. 
    I would try not to tiptoe around them - they're not going to change now. And if your dad is still verbally abusing you and your family after all these years perhaps it would be best to reduce contact with him - for your own health and sanity.  My DD broke off all contact with her dad years ago in her early 20s because of how he was and never saw or contacted him again.  It hasn't particularly bothered her.  You could still see your mum more regularly. 
    Sorry - it is easy for me as an outsider to spout all this advice - I'm not living this like you are, but I do feel for you and send you hugs.

The saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder is true for my mum, she spent the first 11years of my life making sure I knew my dad had treated her badly but then after bumping into him in our town while he was visiting relatives she upended my life and moved me down here.I didn't even know we were going,she took me out of school one lunch time and loaded me into my dads van with most of our belongings, I spent a lot of my childhood staying with my step grandparents and I never saw them again either, they must have been heartbroken when she left

The catch 22 is that my Dad is now a frail old man who I actually feel sorry for so although I don't like him much I do feel bad for him. I couldn't live with myself if I cut myself off from him and it would make seeing my mum very difficult. She also asks me not to fall out with him on a regular basis so that's another reason I stay in contact. He doesn't speak to his daughter who is my half sister and she has cut him out of her life. I am the only person living down here who will be able to sort them out if they are ill or need care etc

Dad texts me everyday to tell me they are ok, it's a thing we started doing when the lockdowns were happening and I even feel stressed about that in case I forget to reply 
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves said:
    Sorry to hear this is making you feel stressed & unhappy @Onebrokelady. I think it is very unlikely that the situation re your parents' relationship is going to change now, so I think the only aspect of it over which you have any control at all, is your own reaction to it. This may be a case of stopping the 'tiptoeing' (this can reinforce an aggressive or difficult individual's bad habits) & telling yourself firmly that they chose to get back together. Their choice, so their problem. It's difficult to stand back from family realtionship problems, I know  - there are some longstanding ones in my extended family from which we have simply walked away because neither of us are 'tip-toers' iyswim, & nobody was interested in sitting down like rational adults & discussing the issues. See your parents, but if there is stressful behaviour/aggression, there is nothing at all wrong with you saying 'Well, I think I'll be off now, as I don't want to spend my day off witnessing arguments' or whatever the behaviour is. Then follow the statement through with action. I think that's what I'd do.
    F x
    I thought I had made my peace with their situation until today, I don't know why it seemed to tip me over the edge today, I think it was that feeling of a racing heart rate and I just suddenly realised that the situation is having a physical effect on me. I've walked out before but then my mum gets upset because she doesn't like us to fall out  so I try to keep everyone happy 😟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback