My journey to a debt free life

in Debt Free Diaries
6.1K replies 319.9K views

Replies

• milannmilann Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think either paint would be ok. Depends on the finish on you embellishments I suppose. I popped in my Hobbycraft last week and looked for the advent houses. I didn’t see any.
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sending positive vibes in the hope you’re feeling a lot better today. Your little house sounds lovely. 👍
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • edited 20 October at 3:12PM
    CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 October at 3:12PM
    milann said:
    I think either paint would be ok. Depends on the finish on you embellishments I suppose. I popped in my Hobbycraft last week and looked for the advent houses. I didn’t see any.
    The Works had something similar though I haven't been in recently.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 39.5 coupons c/f from 2020 + 66 coupons this year. 46 remaining as of 21st November.
    Toiletries used up 13/176.
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the cold soon goes, OBL. It might account for some of the wretched feelings over your parents' visit, I suppose but my heart goes out to you over that. So difficult.

Hope B continues to be better too.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 39.5 coupons c/f from 2020 + 66 coupons this year. 46 remaining as of 21st November.
    Toiletries used up 13/176.
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just catching up, so sorry to bring the subject of your parents back up!

My mum had a lot of issues due to her upbringing. I adored my grandparents, and learning more about how they treated my mum upset me. I can now put it into the context of the times it happened (1950's) and my mum had counselling after my grandma died. However I strongly feel she should have had this much much earlier, looking back it impacted her hugely all her life. 

Now her and my dad's relationship is strained. They are so so different and it worked while dad worked and she was raising kids, but I feel they barely tolerate each other now and are very naggy and snipy in company which I hate. On their own they are fine. But my mum broke my trust four years ago and I am still not over it. It put a large distance between us, and I have kept the relationship at a distance since, to protect myself. And also come to the conclusion that what I expected from her was too much.

So anyway, feel free to rant away on here if it helps, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of counselling, it may take a couple of goes to find the right person, but going through the trauma your mum put you through when you were 11/12 may help your relationship with her.

And I hope you start to feel better soon. We had the double whammy of stinking cold, and the people in the house who didn't get the cold got covid! PCR test galore for two weeks 🤦
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to Hobbycraft before my card making week and was very disappointed with the stock in store . I should have ordered online , they did have loads of Christmas things though as you would expect at this time of the year. 
    Hoping that you feel better soon, so you can enjoy your time off . Hope B stays ok as well . 
    I'm hoping they have lots of Christmas things but really shouldn't buy anymore 😬luckily I do like just browsing so hopefully won't be tempted. I also need wool for the Pom Pom garlands so I'm hoping they have some in the right colours. B is almost back to normal but I'm still getting her checked out 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,316 Now Owed = £13,301.77
    Emergency Fund = £1000 Xmas savings = £800
    House Fund = £700
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    milann said:
    I'm going with the chalk paint, the embellishment are a very pale wood but I'm thinking of white washing them. I think the advent houses are selling fast, that's why I ordered it when I saw it online 
    House Fund = £700
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the cold soon goes, OBL. It might account for some of the wretched feelings over your parents' visit, I suppose but my heart goes out to you over that. So difficult.

Hope B continues to be better too.
    Thanks Cherry ,I don't think the cold helped at all,I'm feeling much better today which was a relief. B is doing ok too now 😊
    House Fund = £700
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just catching up, so sorry to bring the subject of your parents back up!

My mum had a lot of issues due to her upbringing. I adored my grandparents, and learning more about how they treated my mum upset me. I can now put it into the context of the times it happened (1950's) and my mum had counselling after my grandma died. However I strongly feel she should have had this much much earlier, looking back it impacted her hugely all her life. 

Now her and my dad's relationship is strained. They are so so different and it worked while dad worked and she was raising kids, but I feel they barely tolerate each other now and are very naggy and snipy in company which I hate. On their own they are fine. But my mum broke my trust four years ago and I am still not over it. It put a large distance between us, and I have kept the relationship at a distance since, to protect myself. And also come to the conclusion that what I expected from her was too much.

So anyway, feel free to rant away on here if it helps, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of counselling, it may take a couple of goes to find the right person, but going through the trauma your mum put you through when you were 11/12 may help your relationship with her.

And I hope you start to feel better soon. We had the double whammy of stinking cold, and the people in the house who didn't get the cold got covid! PCR test galore for two weeks 🤦
    Hi yep that's pretty much the same with my parents,my mum and a terrible upbringing and it has affected her whole life, she has never talked to anyone about it though which is sad but she just wouldn't do that. My dad also didn't have the best upbringing and was always compared to his older brother which has resulted in a person who is always trying to be something he isn't and trying to impress people.
    They both snipe and dig at each other a lot of the time which is difficult to witness. I think like you say while they were busy working and raising kids it took the focus off and Dad always had a very active social life so they didn't spend that much time together on their own, now they are just in together all the time and they just don't really like each other that much. My Dad tells me he loves my Mum and I think he actually does but his temper gets the better of him whereas my Mum despises him and it shows 

I woke up feeling a bit more human this morning so I'm hoping I've turned a corner now 😊
    House Fund = £700
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you’re feeling bette soon and have a lovely day at hobby craft. I love that store! X
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x