My journey to a debt free life

in Debt Free Diaries
6.2K replies 326.6K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m with @milann on buying more craft than I can craft…and don’t get me started on the sweets by the tills 😬
    Luckily I am very good at resisting things I don't need but I do like to window shop so will go and have a look round. This store is also part of a big chain and I like to support independent craft suppliers whenever I can so probably won't buy anything 😊
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,316 Now Owed = £13,301.77
    Emergency Fund = £1000 Xmas savings = £800
    House Fund = £700
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stashers anonymous: my name is Cherryfudge and I have a stash of yarn and UFOs! Studying yarn websites made me realise I am walking right into the trap set out for me, it's designed to appeal to the buyer though some of it is actually fabulous when made into something.

I do have two jumpers and various embroideries on the go but at least the jumpers are making progress.
    I still haven't finished the jumper I was knitting,I just have a sleeve to finish and to sew it all together, everything was put on hold while I've been doing the house and I lost my crafting mojo but I'm starting to feel like doing things again now so will get that jumper finished followed by the cross stitch sampler for my DGS ( he's 2 now 😀😀) then I have a Christmas cross stitch to do that I got for Christmas last year . I have banned myself from buying anything until they are finished 😀
    House Fund = £700
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    foxgloves said:
    Same here with the yarn stash but I AM knitting it up, as have promised some items to a charity stall next month.
    F
    I have a small stash of wool that I'm not going to use so I'm donating it to my local independent wool/craft shop, they run a project where you donate wool that then gets knitted up into garments for refugees , I've got enough wool in one bag for an adult jumper  and possibly a child's too. I'm not going to use it so they might as well make use of it. I also have the wool I bought for knitting socks which I still haven't tried, so that's on the list again for this year 😀
    House Fund = £700
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woke up today to a mini heatwave possibly brought on by me putting my chairs away 😂😂 there is a good breeze but its lovely and warm. I've got a load of washing just finished so I'm off to peg that out now. I just need to sneak past the 🐓🐓because they are not happy about being confined to barracks, they are going to be stir crazy after 7 days 🙀

I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing with the rest of my day. I should have been meeting my mum but she has cancelled because my sister has come down to visit for the weekend so she is spending time with her and her partner, mum will enjoy that because she doesn't see them as often as she would like,they drive so will be able to take mum and dad out somewhere nice for the day 
    House Fund = £700
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving hearing about the sulky chickens.
    F
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You always make me laugh with stories of them chickens. They probably are having a good old moan!

our local community ask for odds and ends of yarn to help with their knitting groups for some of the vulnerable people. I gave a bag full last time but seem to have accumulated another bag full here to replace it. I’ll have to email them again to give them my others I’ve bought and not used! 
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See I told you not to put the chairs away yet 🤣 We often get good weather right up to early October so I keep mine out until mid October. 

Your chickens sound real characters 😆
    Christmas Savings 2022 £81.13/£600
    Emergency Fund £6000/£10,000
    January NSD: 6/15
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    See I told you not to put the chairs away yet 🤣 We often get good weather right up to early October so I keep mine out until mid October. 

Your chickens sound real characters 😆
    Yep I should have listened 😀😀 never mind I'm sure it won't last long 😬
    House Fund = £700
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I had quite a productive day in the end. The house was cleaned and then I sat down with my budget folder and worked out my budget for SC so I can phone them and do my review on Monday, I need to check and print off a couple of wage slips while I'm at work tomorrow so I can tell them how much I'm earning now. If there are any problems I'm going to go self managed, I might even do that anyway at some point because it's more flexible.
    I have also updated my signature to reflect the bank account as it is now. So the Christmas/ present fund stands at £500, the house fund has dropped down to £614 and the emergency fund is still at £1000. Im happy with these numbers at the moment and I should be able to build the house fund back up again now. I am so pleased that I have done all this work to my house and I haven't used any credit to do it, it's all been paid for with savings. I just need to work hard to build it back up again now so I can do the rest of the jobs that need doing
    The plumbing and heating man was supposed to message me last Tuesday to let me know about doing the radiators but I haven't heard from him at all😟 I'm now going to try one of the others who were recommended so will phone one of them on Monday and hope they will do the job as it badly needs doing, luckily it hasn't leaked since but I know it's going to go in a major way at some point so I need it done ASAP, I'm not going to bother with the bathroom radiator now, I will just get this one be fixed and the boiler serviced 

I'm working a long day tomorrow and I'm dreading it already, it was crazy on Friday on the ward so god knows what tomorrow will be like. I'm off to be shortly because I have to be up early 😫😫
    House Fund = £700
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your pots are looking good - it's a lovely feeling to have an emergency fund isn't it?😃

I hope work isn't too full on for you tomorrow. 🤞

Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”