🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    You cannot deposit £2k into a regular saver and then add to it. The most you can deposit per month is £300 and some have a ceiling of £200 per month, Have a read of the MSE page linked in an earlier post.
    Actually, it's £500 max in some regular savers.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 October 2018 at 4:26PM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Actually, it's £500 max in some regular savers.
    Thanks.

I have just checked and the only one I could find offering 3% or more is Kent Reliance.

I have also remembered that the NatWest regular saver has no maximum monthly monthly deposit but it does only give 1.5% on balances up to £10,000.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Club Lloyds Monthly Saver, £400 pcm at 3%
  • RG2015
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Thanks.

That's also good to know but I was only looking for £500 max as per Colsten's post.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 October 2018 at 5:22PM
    Options
    madlyn wrote: »
    Oh I see.
    That I didn't realise, I could deposit my 2k throughout the rest of the year then?

The clue is the word REGULAR. You fund a Regular Saver - regularly. By the way, the most efficient way to fund a Regular Saver is from Regular Income. If you must do it from a lump sum, then make sure that that regularly-decreasing lump sum is in an interest-bearing account.
  • colsten
    Options
    Thanks.

That's also good to know but I was only looking for £500 max as per Colsten's post.
    You have found one, KRBS. Principality BS and Scottish BS also take up to £500/mth. There might be others.
  • colsten
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    The clue is the word REGULAR.
    To many people, this means "normal", as in "he's just a regular bloke". So they are associating a Regular Saver with some sort of a no-frills, "normal", savings account. Which is, as we know, an incorrect association.
  • RG2015
    edited 22 October 2018 at 5:59PM
    Options
    I have just checked and the only one I could find offering 3% or more is Kent Reliance.
    ColdIron wrote: »
    You have found one, KRBS. Principality BS and Scottish BS also take up to £500/mth. There might be others.
    My mistake in not making my search clear. To clarify, I was only looking for greater than £500 month and at least 3%.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 October 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    To many people, this means "normal", as in "he's just a regular bloke". So they are associating a Regular Saver with some sort of a no-frills, "normal", savings account. Which is, as we know, an incorrect association.

My dictionary describes that interpretation as origin: U.S. and Canadian, informal, so I have no excuse for not thinking of that. Time for you Limeys to brush up your English, though :)

Incidentally, I wonder how long regular accounts have to run? They've a similar origin to ISAs - but the shine seems to have gone off ISAs a lot faster than it has off regular savers. Mind though, it seems like only yesteryear that HSBC were offering 10% regular savers.
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    WOW, I thought I was a bit clued up on money but how wrong I was. Such a lot to take in.
    SPC 037
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family