PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Today I'll be eating a low carb lasagne - the cheese for it is a tub of full fat cottage cheese whose use by date was 8th June 2019. :eek: It's been in the fridge unopened and is fine. I've got unopened cream cheese in there that's as old - I used the older one the other week - and it tasted fine - and I survived:rotfl:
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Need to get us back on the 1st page :rotfl:

Hm soup - started off with a small portion of cottage pie, some lo cavalo nero from freezer together with lo boiled potatoes, frozen onions, chilli passata & parsnips, loads of red lentils, handful of dried porcini mushrooms, chunk of Stilton & beef stock. Very tasty but a tad too spicy - easily sorted with a spoonful of soured cream when dished up.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 October 2019 at 11:59AM
    Options
    GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY RECIPE

Does anyone have a good recipe for green tomato chutney? I have approximately 1kg of hg green tomatoes.
    Spoilt for choice on t’web & tbh I would trust you guys more than any reviews of any of the recipes ;)

I await your responses with bated breath :rotfl:

Thank you

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • purpleybat
    Options
    hello all,
    am cooking a joint of peppered beef for dinner tonight and there will be a fair bit left over.
    i was thinking of cooking a sort of toad tomorrow with the leftovers but can't see anywhere on the internet that it works. i can't see any reason that it wouldn't but i'd ask here if anyone had made it?
    i thought a nice thick onion gravy and some veg would be nice with it.

i'm still going to be left with some leftovers which i'm thinking of turning into some sort of soup, but don't really know what type to do, i have recipes for harira (sp) type soups that sound nice but my recipes don't say if it freezes okay. if i don't put the fresh herbs in until it's defrosted and reheated would that be best do you think?

i really don't want to do a bog standard cottage pie or chilli with it which would be my usual go to recipes.
  • marns
    marns Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    D&#8517 wrote: »
    Need some ideas please peeps for 3 1/2 lonely figs :)
    DS3 wanted to try some but none of us liked them raw lol OH likes fig rolls so I can probably get away with some sort of cake idea or a breakfast bar type thing but with such a tiny amount not sure what to try??

I'm well overdue for this reply but as figs seem quite cheep at the minute (got some on special at Lidl) I like to make fig and blue cheese tartlets.

gently caramelise plenty chopped onion.

While they cook down unroll some bought puff pastry and cut into 4-10 rectangles (depends if you want a substantial meal or finger snacks). Score round the edges so it will puff up.

spread some onion into the scored middle, arrange sliced fig on top as decoratively as you can be bothered and crumble blue cheese on top. Bake.

You don't have to faff on scoring round the edges, just looks nice. You can even egg was the edges if you want something posh looking.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 October 2019 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Made a jugs worth of broccoli and cheeses soup, to use up fading head of brocc. Having a mug a day.
    Decided to grate up the block of cheese that had been lurking in cheese section of my fridge, freeze it for using ad hoc and some in the soup, not a mark on it perfect block of sharp cheddar, tasted gorgeous, use by date July 2019.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options

Does anyone have a good recipe for green tomato chutney? I have approximately 1kg of hg green tomatoes.
    Spoilt for choice on t’web & tbh I would trust you guys more than any reviews of any of the recipes ;)

I await your responses with bated breath :rotfl: My breath is still bated :rotfl:

Thank you

MrsSD

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I await your responses with bated breath :rotfl: My breath is still bated :rotfl:

Thank you

MrsSD

When i see my sis-in-law in Faversham next I will ask for her recipe as her pot which she made me and I forgot about in the cupboard is brilliant ,whether it because its matured I don't know but it is jolly nice.:D
    JackieO
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    When i see my sis-in-law in Faversham next I will ask for her recipe as her pot which she made me and I forgot about in the cupboard is brilliant ,whether it because its matured I don't know but it is jolly nice.:D
    JackieO

Thanks JackieO

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Having a use it up day today!

Had some LO roasted peppers and bits of chicken so chopped them up into some couscous to stuff mushrooms for breakfast this morning.

The rest of the couscous will be served with a lunch of cold meats and salad.

The last of the chicken will be used to make a chicken curry for dinner tonight with some rice.

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure