Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

in Old style MoneySaving
1.9K replies 281.7K views

Replies

• YorksLassYorksLass Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yesterday's chicken dinner went down well and there were a couple of left-overs that will be used up this week: sage & onion stuffing to go in sandwiches and a bit of mash and a few sprouts have made two bubble & squeak type potato cakes that we'll have on tomorrow's brekkie. :)

I've also made some hummus but I think I might have overdone it with the lemon juice as it's a bit tart. :( Never mind, a dollop of sweet chilli sauce will sort that out. :D

Cheese & chutney sandwiches this morning, hm leek & potato soup this lunchtime with sliced bread crusts for "dunkers" followed by a satsuma and a kiwi fruit.

While taking liver out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner I found two cooked beetroots I'd forgotten about. They've been defrosted, sliced and marinated in a sweet balsamic vinegar mix with some finely sliced onions. I'll use some on tonight's salad and the rest will keep in the fridge. DH has requested either salmon or ham so I've plumped for the fish.

D&DD: You could chop them up and add to flapjacks. Alternatively, google fig recipes for ideas.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • D&DDD&DD Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    That'll work for us YorksLass many thanks I have one they all eat so they won't notice the 'extras' hopefully! :)
  • BramblingBrambling Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    whilst carrying out my freezer audit and tidy I found some beef short ribs (brought reduced) any suggestions on how to cook them I fancy something different from the normal cooked in red wine I have a electric pressure cooker (instant pot) as well as a slow cooker :) and a well stocked store cupboard

I will probably be back for more ideas as my full larder cupboard and freezer means I can eat until at the least the end of the year with only shopping for fresh food (fruit, veg, diary and eggs) :o
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Used up the last of the carrots to make a carrot & lentil soup before they got to limp. Now been frozen for another day as have parsnips to use up and making them into a parsnip and apple soup for lunch today.

Will be using up the last of a cabbage tonight for dinner.

Denise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    afternoon all I have my eldest DD coming to dinner tomorrow night and she asked for lasagne so not a problem as I have all the ingredients in store ,plus it means I can use up some more beef mince from the freezer. I have also made two trifles in smaller bowls One for us for tomorrow night and one for her to take home Her OH (my son-in-law ) is away on business and I know he likes trifle.I made it with a jelly from the cupboard ,some left over sponge cake from the cake tin and a tin of mixed fruit in fruit juice also from the cupboard.Once its set by tonight I shall make up some thick gloopy custard to top it as she's not keen on whipped cream so will just sprinkle hundreds and thousands over the topping :)I found a washed out trifle bowl in my plastic reusable bag which I think I rescued from my youngest DD when she had bought a shop trifle !!! I think it was an emergency trifle when one of the boys g/f turned up unexpectedly. So at least the bowl will be reused again :)
    I have a bag on the back of the kitchen door where I save washed out cartons for various uses The little yogurt pots I save for a friend who uses them in her greenhouse for bringing on and potting up small plants(I get in return during the spring some nice small plants for my trouble :)) I know its plastic but if I can get a couple of uses out of things I think it's worth it .
    My DDs clear plastic trifle dish is ideal for a smaller trifle for my eldest DD to take home with her tomorrow and her OH will be pleased to have a treat when he gets back from his trip.

I have the beef defrosting at the moment in the fridge and will make the lasagne tomorrow morning I have a baton of garlic bread in the freezer which will go down well with it and I shall make a small salad up as well so no outlay for a nice midweek dinner
    Tonight I am at my pub quiz so no cooking for me tonight, last night i made up a bit of a mish mash for dinner I had run out of tomatoes and didn't want to shop until Wednesday so I had a jacket spud with diced lettuce ,cucumber and the last of the radishes in place of the tomatoes I chopped up a lonely yellow pepper and finished off the sweet pepper hummus with a good dollop of green tomato chutney that I had forgotten about in the cupboard Rooting in the cupboards for something else I found this pot of unopened green chutney that my sis-in-law gave me last Christmas and it was gorgeous So that will be in use this week. I also boiled an egg and diced thath up as well so what started as a lonely little jacket spud ended up as a very tasty meal, tipped some grated cheese over it all and was pleasantly full by the time it was eaten Often mixed up odds and ends taste really nice :) Reasonably healthy as well

Right time to get a wriggle on and go to youngest DDs house to walk the two small dogs before youngest DGS Mikey comes home from school

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
  • YorksLassYorksLass Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Let us know how they turn out D&DD.

JackieO: Your mish mash dinner sounds lovely. Very inventive and uses up all kinds of bits and bobs too.

Yesterday's salad was very nice but I think salads will be on the back burner now the weather is turning, in favour of stews, casseroles etc. Tonight's liver, bacon & onion casserole is cooking as I type and it smells really good.

For afters I'm using up the two end crusts of a ys fruit loaf (quite thick). I've torn them into pieces into a bowl and added a few dollops of marmalade; a quick ping in the mw and topped with custard they will make a pudding for us. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    I love odds and ends dinners goes back to the 1970s when mortgage rates were 15% and money was very tight .The wolf was not only knocking at the door he was trying to climb through the letterbox.

Our just-before-pay-day dinner was usually odds and sods pie ,basically a pastry base filled with whatever I could find in the fridge a bit of grated cheese a few eggs diced up onion ,a cooked left over sausage perhaps sliced up and a bit of sliced tomato,topped with some mashed potatoes and cooked until the top was brown and crispy, served with some steamed cabbage and any veg I could find .

I have always been a keen steamer of veg as I think it helps keep the flavour and there is less waste, even broccoli stalks go unnoticed when sliced thin and steamed with with the last bit of the cabbage .

Boy when I think how I had to streeetch things out back then :) but we never went without, and a semolina or rice pud helped fill the bits up that the main course had missed
    No fancy yogurts back then I couldn't have afforded them. It was plain cooking as my late Mum had done during rationing .But the kids would luckily eat almost anything :)

I did a very small shop first thing this morning and only spent £13.85 which is my first shop of the month but it was only really fresh fruit and veg and some rice that I needed .My lasagne is ready to go into the oven and the trifles are made so its feet up until DD arrives around 5.00.

Hope everyone is safe and dry ,weather here in Kent is at least sunny and breezy so I even got a wash done this morning, and that too has dried nicely
    Halfway through the week already :) My stairlift man is here, and has replaced the battery for me as it finally conked out, so I have fed him tea and some sponge cake so he is a happy chappy as well

Take care all
    JackieO x
  • edited 4 October 2019 at 9:04AM
    pamsdishpamsdish Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2019 at 9:04AM
    wartime recipes, subs and other words
    Looking for you on this new thread Jackie.
    2018 £2149, 2019 £2000, 2020 £1456, 2021 £4000
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Using up the last leek to make a leek and potato soup for today's lunch.

Denise
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have loads of Cavalo Nero and am making a shedload of pesto with it. I won’t be able to eat it quick enough - will it be ruined if I freeze some?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals