PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    When I was at school many moons ago our cookery teacher who was a great inspiration gave us a recipe for moussaka, well her version anyway. She used potatoes or aubergines.
    We made a bolognese sauce, then we layered it up with aubergines which we had grilled. Then the sauce on top was a small tub of yogurt, the same of milk, a beaten egg and grated cheese. Poured over the top and baked.
    Some of us used sliced baked potatoes instead of aubergines
    I think moussaka and lasagne are very similar, beef or lamb, the potato sub sounds very tasty, might give that a try when treated myself to some spuds.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 July 2019 at 10:14AM
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    I find lettuce is the biggest waste so pay the extra and buy mixed leaves because I can get through a bag quite easily in a few days whereas a whole lettuce just goes limp in the fridge because I get fed up with it as never seems as tasty as mixed leaves. Not MSE but I hate waste more.

Denise

Wilting lettuce is an excellent green addition to soups, stew and stir-fry dishes. Finely chopped it adds colur and a bit of fibre to omelettes, rissoles and dumplings. It can also be revived by putting in cold water with a few ice cubes for half an hour to use as salad.

Sardinian broad bean and lettuce stew: fry bacon and onion, add thin young broad beans, chopped IN THEIR POD and a few podded ones. Add chopped lettuce and a splash of milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender.

Also if boring eaten on its own jazz up your salad by adding chopped herbs (mint, parsley, basil particularly good), chopped pickled onions, gherkins, toasted seeds, cubes of cheese, crisped bacon....the list is endless. You'd never know you're eating lettuce!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    using up a green pepper today with cheese and mushroom stuffing then roasted in my Remoska and will have that with a small jacket sweet potato and a large salad.Using up whats in the fridge as much as I can :)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Jackie - do you bake your jackets at the same time in the remosks? I find they are good done that way.

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    yes I give them around five minutes in the microwave to get them just starting to soften then finish them off in the Remoska with the peppers ,very yummy with a splash of sweet chilli sauce :)
  • Loopyloo38
    Options
    Hello All, I would like to join if I may? I am a Newbie and don't even know if this is the correct way to post so do forgive if I inadvertently get it wrong. I will learn in time!
    I am wondering of any readers might share the wisdom of their experience ..... my dear husband managed to trip the garage freezer without realising and only whilst weeding around the building and hearing the beeping today, did I find it. Some of the food is still pretty cold and partially frozen so where safe I have squeezed it into my kitchen freezer. Some is questionable as has totally defrosted and isn't even cold and the rest has to be thrown away (frozen fish) which goes completely against the grain for me. Does anyone know if it's really safe enough to cook food that falls into the 'questionable' category and then refreeze it? My problem is I'm on a strict diet so it's only husband that is eating properly. Help!!!
  • Loopyloo38
    Options
    Hello, I'm a newbie and have been reading the posts with interest. Love the idea of spicing up a tomato soup but foccacia cubes as croutons! I see you made your own - do you have a good, workable (read easy!!!) receipt for Forcaccia? Everytime I have made it, it has been a dismal failure ...... many thanks if you're able to share. :)
  • lesleyb
    lesleyb Posts: 158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loopyloo38 wrote: »
    Hello All, I would like to join if I may? I am a Newbie and don't even know if this is the correct way to post so do forgive if I inadvertently get it wrong. I will learn in time!
    I am wondering of any readers might share the wisdom of their experience ..... my dear husband managed to trip the garage freezer without realising and only whilst weeding around the building and hearing the beeping today, did I find it. Some of the food is still pretty cold and partially frozen so where safe I have squeezed it into my kitchen freezer. Some is questionable as has totally defrosted and isn't even cold and the rest has to be thrown away (frozen fish) which goes completely against the grain for me. Does anyone know if it's really safe enough to cook food that falls into the 'questionable' category and then refreeze it? My problem is I'm on a strict diet so it's only husband that is eating properly. Help!!!

I would cook it and refreeze if it looks ok after cooked
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    yes I too would cook it and probably taste it as well before cooling and refreezing, how annoying to have to bin food ,but these things happen unfortunately and are part of the trials of life at times

Welcome to our happy band of LFHW'ers I hope you enjoy our helpful hints and we are always here to give a helping hand or share tips.
    If you think of any decent recipes or tips do feel free to post on here as no matter how long or old you are there are always new things to learn from friends .
    Enjoy the forum

JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got some cauliflower in the fridge which is getting a bit soft and am planning on making a cauliflower and blue cheese soup with it tomorrow (need to buy some blue cheese but obviously only a small piece!). Looking forward to it as not had it before as don't often have cauliflower left that needs using up!

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure