PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You've really started a trend here YorksLass :) nothing nicer than home made lemon barley water on a hot day I even like it in the winter when I have a nasty cold I will drink it hot
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    In a similar vein I made some lemon balm iced tea today with some of the lemon balm that pops up all over the garden. Very refreshing on a hot day like today.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 July 2019 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Ooo, I hope the share price of the branded stuff doesn't go down because of me! :rotfl:

It works with oranges and limes too - not sure about grapefruit but it probably would, or even a mix of citrus fruits. My lovely mum used to make gallons of the stuff and always said "it's good for you". Well, it certainly helps prevents UTIs and I think that's down to the barley properties but the added fruit gives it a nice flavour.

A little bit more bearable here today weather-wise, but still very sultry. We've had a couple of showers that lasted all of 2 mins and they haven't really helped at all. With that in mind, tonight's dinner is a lazy battered fish from the shop with hm mushy peas and pears with yogurt for afters.

Fridge emptying is on track and it looks like our travel lunch will be sandwiches of ham and cheese with pickle, a couple of hard-boiled eggs and crisps. Usually if I have any fresh stuff left that can't be frozen, I pass it on to my neighbour but I think she's going to be disappointed this year. ;)

Oh, the meatballs turned out to be beef.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can vouch for the orange & limes working - my stuff worked out so well that I even skipped the sugar.
    I've got some more lemons to try the pure lemon version as my random citrus stuff has panned out so well! Cheers, YorksLass!
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In a similar vein I made some lemon balm iced tea today with some of the lemon balm that pops up all over the garden. Very refreshing on a hot day like today.

is that a case of just steeping it in boiling water and leaving to cool before chilling?
    i've used lemon balm in a clementine marmalade recipe but mostly i use it in the summer to soak my achy hot feet after a hard days work :D
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    And now we have three converts in the office - all from one 250ml Kilner bottle!
    Thank you YorksLass for making the recipe so easy to follow!
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Plus one who crooned over the Kilner bottle but her gluten intolerance won’t let her risk barley. I am pleaded with to bring the rhubarb cordial in!
    (I’ve not mentioned the Rhubarb Bellini as alcohol is a contentious subject in the office, and anyway chilled sparkling water still makes a lovely long cool drink.)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    A failure to report - left the cooked new potatoes in the fridge too long so had to compost :o
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Made a nice pot of celery soup from the slightly past its best head of celery from the fridge. I added some paprika spice to give it a bit of a zing plus a good dollop of lazy garlic (I do like spicy soup) .More than enough for lunches for the next few days to have along with some crackers and using up the last of the cream cheese.Only two weeks tomorrow until my holidays so everything I can is being used up instead of shopping for more.

Tonight's meal is a large chilli thigh from the freezer plus a salad. stewed apples for pud from the freezer with some HM custard.

Tomorrow night's dinner is one of my y/s pork chop with salad potatoes and the last of the cauliflower in the fridge, and some green beans from the freezer. I will make a cherry and coconut cake tomorrow morning and will probably have a slice with the some more of the custard left from tonight . Streetching stocks out as much as I can to save shopping.

Sunday I am at my DDs for dinner. Slowly getting more wriggle room in my freezer at long last.

Hope everyone has a good weekend

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    menus all done and dusted for the next week at least and no shopping to buy as everything will come from my existing stocks :):)

JackieO xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure