PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thank you for the hints and tips about the soup. Sorry for not replying sooner, ended up blitzing the kitchen, living room and bathroom this weekend, as well as some batch cooking and visiting friends so I ran out of time!

As for the soup, it is still chunky. I think it was a bit heavy on the cabbage side (and I'm not a big fan of cabbage), and not enough flavours/stock/garlic/chilli etc added.

I think I will try all of those options, and some broken up spaghetti pasta to see if I can't pep it up and make it palatable.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Camomile
    Camomile Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cabbage seems to dominate the flavour of the soup, it’s better to use it for something else than soup, either coleslaw or shredded cabbage with some chopped tomatoes and bacon/lardons. Might be served as a side dish or eaten with chunk of bread with butter or mashed potatoes
  • euronorris
    Options
    Thanks Camomile. It was all part of a pre-prepped 'soup mix' of vegetables in Lidl. I went in one day, and they had tonnes of the bags in the 'Waste Not' section for 20p each. I still have some unused bags of the stuff in the freezer! lol

Haven't yet tackled that soup (it's all frozen anyway, so will keep for a bit). But inspired by this thread I did make an impromptu tomato soup for today. Made a sausage and tomato, with sweet potato, casserole in the slow cooker yesterday. It was tasty, but the 'sauce' was very watery so I scooped up the remainders, blitzed in the blender and added a few broken up spaghetti bits whilst it was still hot. Et voila. Lunch is sorted! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done euronorris for not wasting owt, I too would have snaffled stuff at 20p a bag .frozen is fine 'suspended animation' means it will be fine in the freezer.
    On my holidays at the moment, and being thoroughly spoiled by my family. owing to my slight medical problem with very high BP my tribe have insisted I do nothing for the next two weeks. So its been feet up and waited on which I find hard to do, but I can see their point. Got to keep the motor going :) .My son-in-law is doing all the cooking ,which is lovely as he is a great cook, and tonight's meal was a delicious chicken curry with all the trimmings. he even made the Naan bread bless him.

Tomorrow his Mum and s/dad are coming for the day and we are going out to lunch at the local pub called the Crab and Lobster ,guess I will be eating some of my favourite crab salad :).We have another visitor arriving on Thursday for the day and we are having a BBQ, then on friday DGS Jack and his g/f are coming for the week.So lots of visitors and much jollification I think. I am hoping to persuade the boys to help me collect some blackberries as there seems to be a surfeit of them on the IoW at the moment and the bushes everywhere are groaning with them. I think a crumble or two may be in the offing (its a sitting down job once picked anyway :))
    Right I am off for a read of my library book I am so laid back doing nothing I am almost horizontal :)
    Take care chums

JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoy being waited on Jackie and enjoy your holiday.

Denise
  • euronorris
    Options
    Thank you Jackie. And do you know what? It was delicious. I guess it was more like minestrone as the original casserole called for beef stock. But whatever, it was yum!

Glad your family are looking after you, though I know how hard it can be to let everyone else do stuff. Do take care and enjoy your holiday!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Weather outlook is good today so it will be another lazing around day on Yaverland beach which is a dog friendly beach on the IoW. Dds two little dogs are part of the family so they go where we go :) DGS Jack and his g/f Olivia arrived eventually last night ,they had a grotty journey by train but its great to see them
    We managed to pick some blackberries yesterday up on Brading Down so they went into last nights crumble (can't resist a free forage ,even on holiday :))

its nice being on my holiday but I am finding it hard to slow down:) but DD lets me do the sitting down jobs :) peeling ,grating etc so I am being good for a change and behaving myself :)

Hope everyone is enjoying some nice weather and making the most of the sunshine

Back home next weekend and life will resume normality again :)

Take care all

JackieO x
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying your holiday on the IoW. Absolutely love it there. You've got great weather and it's continuing for the next couple of weeks at least so should still be nice when you come back.

Denise
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday Jackie, it will be back til auld claes an parritch soon enough.

I too buy the 20p goodies. I freeze salad to use in my breakfast green smoothies (although they are often good for a day or two anyway) and the stir fry boxes I fry up with a little extra ginger and chili, have one meal of the stir fry itself then add veg. stock to the rest and freeze for soup. It is quite hot and will be well received when the weather is on the turn. Lidl often have whole loaves of wholemeal bread for 20p and occasionally I have been lucky enough to get some of their focaccio breads for 20p too. They freeze really well and take up little time.

This weekend's task is to dig up the rest of my potatoes, steam and then dehydrate them for winter use. I have a marvellous chopping device ideal for this so I hope it's not too tedious.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning chums and back in the Garden of England again after my holidays. Arrived home to some rain which actually was lovely as it freshened the air up and I didn't mind at all.
    Whizzed up to my local supermarket last night and got all I needed for around just under £16.00 which was mostly fresh fruit and veg and some eggs bacon cheese etc
    I wonder why it is when ever I go away when I come home the shops seemed to have raised their prices yet again I suppose because I don't do any food shopping on holiday my DD does it I pay for the house and she gets the food etc.I am away in a couple of weeks time to Torquay for a break with my eldest DDs ma-in-law and we have got a nice weeks break in an hotel wit B,B,& Evening meal included so my food budget this month will be lower at least
    She is 83 and lost her OH last year and wanted to revisit Devon ,but didn't want to go on her own so I said I was happy to go with her,she is a very sprightly 83 and I'm sure we will have a nice time.
    I shall be eating from the freezer still this month so not a lot of shopping to get :)
    Hope everyone has had a good couple of weeks and with the turmoil at the moment over Europe I think there will be more people using up hopefully more food, than throwing it away.
    We had a lovely meal on our last night at a restaurant called The Propeller on the IoW ,but I was amazed at how much food was binned from folks plates There was one family next to us who had ordered their food and the amount wasted was extraordinary.perhaps the portions were too large In the US its quite normal to have a doggy bag to take home anything you want but in the UK it seems rarely done.We ate all of ours as it was delicious ,but then the kids only ordered what they wanted.I have always siad to them if you are going to eat it fine but remember you can always have a pudding if you aren't full but to me stuff left on the plate is just a waste (wartime upbringing with rationing I think shapes your mindset :))

This week I shall be concentrating on using up some of the fish from my freezer so most of the menus will be centered around fish.Tomorrow I shall have one of the huge fish cakes that I got awhile ago on offer from Tesco's its got a cheesy centre so that with salad will be Monday night's dinner, Tuesday I am out for dinner as its quiz night at the pub, Wednesday I know there is some lemon sole in the freezer so that with new potatoes and fresh broccoli will be nice I may make a fish pie for Thursday night as I know I have some cod in the freezer, and Friday night will probably be haddock and wedges and peas. so little meat used but the fish stocks will come down at least :) I live about half an hour from Whitstable and now and again I go to the fish market and get stocked up with fish so fresh its almost jumping off the plate :) it will make a nice change to be meat free for a few days and will help to empty my freezer a bit as well.I want to try and get it defrosted if I can, looks like the Titanic iceberg in there at the moment :)
    Have a good a LFHW week chums

JackieO xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport