PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I too have a stash of those packet mixes they seem to last for ages and I swear I definitely have some left from last year, with winter coming on they will be used up in casseroles and SC beef.

Your chicken casserole sounds lovely ,I must say that one good thing about winter is my Slow Cooker it does get a good deal of use :)JackieO xx

I know I have packet mixes from last year :rotfl: but they are all still in date and, as you say, they'll be used up this winter.

The casserole was lovely and it used up lots of odds and ends too, so win-win all round. :D

Dinner tonight is ham & veg crustless quiche (that's the last of the gammon) with ys green beans and potato croquettes. Afters is rice pudding and yes, I'm going to have a good dollop of jam in it! ;)

Thanks Pollie for the recipe, I'm always on the look-out for "new to me" ideas and I'll definitely be trying it.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thats sounds right up my street Pollie ,thanks for the recipe its definitely going into my cooking recipe file and will be made I love simple easy to follow recipes which use up things.

I have just remembered in my DDs 'overflow ' freezer I have a small gammon joint I shall dig that out later today and slow cook it and slice up for salads and quiches.Once cooked and frozen in portions (although I am trying to reduce my freezer stocks) it will come in very handy this month for streeetching the budget :)
    I am trying to keep the food budget down this month, plus I am away from the 17th for a week in Devon so any surplus from the food budget will go on my trip :)
    Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Pollie wrote: »
    Slow Cooker Red Wine & Mushroom Sauce.

1tbs olive oil
    1 chopped onion
    1 chopped clove garlic (I use 1tsp garlic paste)
    4ozs sliced mushrooms
    2tsp sugar
    3 tbs flour
    1/2 pint of red wine
    1/2 pt vegetable stock
    2 tbs tomato puree.
    Salt & pepper

• Heat oil and gently fry onion, garlic, mushrooms and sugar until soft--keep stirring.
    • Add flour and cook out for 1 minute.
    • Stir in red wine and stock.
    • Add puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.
    • Cook on low in slow cooker for approx. 6 hours.
    Ingredients may be doubled.

I've collected this recipe too - husband's a veggie who isn't keen on vegetables unless they're curried or in a sauce, so this should go down well.

Thank you. :D
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • YorksLass
    Options
    Yesterday I used a "new to me" recipe for courgette & oat bran loaf but I didn't mention it in my post as I wanted to taste it first. I wasn't sure what it would be like but, according to the recipe, it's supposed to be good, sliced thickly and spread with butter. What did I think? Well, it wasn't awful but it's rather "heavy". :( I think it might be better as a side on a meal and covered in gravy. :D

Just one courgette left in the fridge and tomorrow that's destined for a spicy soup that I have higher hopes for. The weather seems to be a lot cooler now so it will be handy for a couple of lunchtimes. Watch this space for an update. ;)

Dinner tonight is a chicken & veg stir-fry in satay sauce with noodles; all prepped so it won't take long to cook.

This is proving to be a very low cost week but there's still a lot in the freezer and cupboards, so I think my Friday shop may well be confined to just F&V and cheese. :j
  • YorksLass
    Options
    Milk buying mission accomplished this morning - milk and nothing else! :j

DH agreed with me about the courgette & oat bran loaf so that's now been sliced and frozen to be used as a second veg smothered in gravy on a meal - probably something like chops or sausages. Not what I had hoped for but at least it's not being wasted. :)

Have made a spicy courgette soup today and that's turned out really well. I notice lots of people, especially gardeners, ask for ways of using up courgettes so here's the recipe if anyone wants to give it a try. This will make 4 generous portions and it can be frozen.

1 oz butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 large clove garlic, crushed (I used garlic paste)
    1 tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander
    12 oz courgette, sliced
    1 potato, peeled and sliced
    3/4 pint stock (chicken or veg)
    1/2 pint milk
    S & P to taste

Melt butter, add onion and garlic; cook gently 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown.
    Add cumin and coriander; cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
    Add courgette, potato, stock and milk. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer gently for about 15 mins until vegetables are soft.
    Cool slightly then liquidise until smooth.
    Season to taste.

I notice there is another recipe for courgette & tomato soup on the GC thread so next time I have any I'll be giving that a try.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Made a soup yesterday from los from the fridge & freezer - potatoes, small portion of cottage pie, mushrooms, carrots, porcini mushroom water, peppers, spring onions, cucumber, baked beans, plum sauce, peas, tomatoes, small pot of butter then added water, a stock pot, large handful of lentils & a lump of blue cheese. Smells delicious just hope it tastes delicious :D
    Will zizz, then taste & season if necessary. Will have for lunch over the next few days with hm croutons. Fingers crossed 🤞
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £228.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £62.00; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a cauliflower that needed desperately using up so I steamed it and we had some as the veg with last nights supper and the rest is a cauliflower cheese that I'll top with breadcrumbs and bacon bits for supper this evening. I also have half a red cabbage to use up so some of that will become a coleslaw with home grown onions and a home grown carrot from the allotment to go with it. I have a tin of broken mandarin oranges that is just out of date so that will be pudding with some vanilla ice cream if we want it.
  • YorksLass
    Options
    Made a soup yesterday from los from the fridge & freezer......Will zizz, then taste & season if necessary. Will have for lunch over the next few days with hm croutons. Fingers crossed 🤞

Love that word! :cool:

Last night's dinner was an easy and simple affair - fish fingers, oven chips, peas & sweetcorn. Lovely.

Tonight we're having cottage pie (meat & veg base already cooked and defrosted) topped with cooked sliced tatties, a slice of the doubtful courgette & bran loaf and pickled red cabbage. Still enough rice pud left for afters.

This afternoon I did next week's meal plan and was pleased to realise my Friday shop will be a very small one indeed. Potatoes, green leafy veg and not much else! :) Maybe some cheese too, although it's not a "must". The SC will definitely be earning its keep as I've planned in a fair few winter-warmer meals now the weather has turned cooler. The leaves on the cherry blossom tree at the back of our house are beginning to turn red (Yorkshire area) so I fear summer is on its way out. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    fish and wedges for me for dinner tonight shopped from my freezer this week which i am pleased with and tomorrow I shall dig out some shin of beef from the freezer and make a big casserole in my slow cooker The weather is cooling down somewhat so its batch cooking some winter meals this weekend.
    Have a good weekend chums
    JackieO xx
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also currently working my way through a bulging pile of cook in sauce packets * what is it with those things do they secretly multiply in the dark* ??
    Yesterday I managed to use a Balti mix, Mexican crispy chicken crumb coatie thing, and a cheese sauce because we all wanted different food as per usual!

Only around 99 more to go :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport