PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Husband has exhumed a bottle of “maple praline pancake syrup” which he’s decided is disgusting. Suggestions for alternative uses other than on pancakes, please?!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Husband has exhumed a bottle of “maple praline pancake syrup” which he’s decided is disgusting. Suggestions for alternative uses other than on pancakes, please?!

To sweeten frozen mixed fruit which seems to be a bit sharp! Inside of sugar or syrup on porridge. I quite like flavoured syrups on porridge!

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »

I decided to use up 3 lemons by making lemon & barley water (haven't done that in ages) and ended up with 2 litres of the stuff. :D Not a problem and most welcome in this hot weather. I used a fair amount of pearl barley so it's nice and thick and can be diluted down.

I'd love the recipe for the lemon Barley water as well pretty please as I have some barley in the cupboard I'd like to use up and have never have thought of making use of it this way

JackieO xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I'd love the recipe for the lemon Barley water as well pretty please as I have some barley in the cupboard I'd like to use up and have never have thought of making use of it this way. JackieO xx

Here you go, Jackie - easy-peasy. No specific measurements, but I used:

x3 small-medium sized lemons, sliced
    A couple of handfuls of pearl barley
    About 1 to 1.5 litres water

Place all in a largish pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 30 mins. Leave to cool a bit, add sugar/sweetener to taste (I like mine a bit on the sharp side) and leave overnight in the fridge. Next day remove lemons and barley, decant liquid into a jug/bottle. Mine was quite a thick liquid so can be diluted (hence the 2 ltrs ;) ) - less barley makes a thinner mixture. It even works with lemons that have got a bit dried out.

Brekkie this morning was kippers for DH, bran flakes + raisins and dried apricots for me.

Dinner tonight is Spanish-style chicken (bit of a cheat as it's a jar of sauce :D ) made from chicken thighs, diced smoked pork sausage, a handful of chopped peppers (all from the freezer) plus some leftover green beans, with new potatoes and cauliflower.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh thank you so much :) I will give that a go tomorrow as I have a day off from DGS sitting :). I love lemon barley water and especially when its very warm as a glass of that ice cold will rehydrate be beautifully Could I replace sugar with runny honey do you think as I normally sweeten stewed fruit with honey rather than sugar.I only have caster sugar in the cupboard to make custards and blancmange with or bake as I don't take sugar at all either in tea or cereals. :)
  • YorksLass
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Could I replace sugar with runny honey do you think as I normally sweeten stewed fruit with honey rather than sugar.I only have caster sugar in the cupboard to make custards and blancmange with or bake as I don't take sugar at all either in tea or cereals. :)

I'm currently using up some of last year's crab apple jelly that didn't set well as a replacement for sugar and that works well, so I think honey would do the same job. I only have granulated sugar (DH uses in tea but I don't) and whizz that up in a coffee grinder to make caster sugar when it's called for.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 July 2019 at 9:02AM
    Options
    eyes limes that are looking somewhat dried out, a lemon trying to avoid being scarified for rhubarb cordial & ponders the fed barley sack.

Bound to be some real pearl barley around somewhere! [Found it!]
    Thank you!
  • YorksLass
    Options
    eyes limes that are looking somewhat dried out, a lemon trying to avoid being scarified for rhubarb cordial & ponders the fed barley sack.

Bound to be some real pearl barley around somewhere! [Found it!]
    Thank you!

You're most welcome. I know you can buy bottles of the stuff but I honestly prefer the hm version. Just had a glass - most welcome in this hot weather.

Dinner tonight is hm meatballs (can't remember if they're beef or lamb :D so it will be a surprise) with the leftover sauce from last night's dinner and the other half of the cauliflower.

I've chopped up the last onion and frozen it and have also cooked the last of the potatoes. I'll saute some for tonight and the rest will be eaten on Saturday with lamb curry.

I'd hoped to get away without making any more bread before we go away but, alas, I've had to put the BM on. :( Never mind, whatever's left will be sliced and frozen for when we return.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Turned out really nice, so thank you again for the recipe :) I used honey instead of sugar and it was lovely. I have a large glass bottle of it in the fridge which I am using slightly diluted and its delicious

JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to get some lemons next week when I go shopping and give it a go. Long time since I've had lemon barley but I used to love it and I'm sure it'll be much nicer being home made.

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure