PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've still got a bag of new potatoes from... 3 weeks ago? Still sitting in the cupboard. Really need to do something with them soon. Perhaps tonight I might cook them all up, mash the lot, and bag up some portions for the fridge... I've got plenty of butter and the like, so I could do that.

In other news, I've just had an early lunch, and I'm about to head off for an afternoon of work in the next 10 minutes or so... I've just changed my top, as I decided the one I was wearing was too casual to wear to a school that I've never been to before, where I don't know the vibe.
    A lot of the schools I work at are pretty casual - especially in the summer - so I'm often in trainers and a t-shirt. But I don't like to do that for a first visit. So top duly changed, and trainers swapped for my Clarks boots.

I stupidly still get a bit nervous going to schools I've never visited before! But it's nice that the school is very local! I could almost walk to it (but won't). It's not quite my nearest school, but very close.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,280 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Scorchio here today,75+ F in back with windows wide open, and it's close as well

Porridge breakfast, then into town for top ups & YS mooch. Poor pickings, YS apple wood smoked bacon in W/rose, never tried that looked nice

Into Wilko, really checking for YS plants, but found YS posh chocs, £2.25 was 6.25, nearly at BBE date, so I'll need to scoff them sharpish just in case;)

Lunch, used a couple of the YS rashers in a BLT sarnie
    Dinner, too hot for proper cooking, so it's YS bacon + YS mushrooms, eggs, tom + beans. I may chip up one of the small bakers to add to the mix

Bit of a disaster yesterday afternoon. I've decided to resurrect my fountain pen, which involved me washing out the barrel + nib. Butter fingers dropped it into sink, it then made a dive down the plug hole:eek::mad:
    Swearing failed to suck it back to safety:(
    In the end I had to do what I knew needed doing, oik out stuff from under sink, remove a shelf, remove U bend and retrieve the nib set.

I's all back to normal now. Cursed myself, I've forgotten how many times I told the kids to put plug in when rinsing small items in the sink, to stop such an event happening
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    whm, I put LBC on too, when I go to bed or if I wake in the night, I set the timer to 30 minutes. If I wake too early then I put Steve Allen on

Too hot for me again today, I had to prep all the window areas today as workmen are coming tomorrow, now I am hoping that I have enough milk in the fridge. I have been busy all day so food was quick but packed with veg. An all in one veg, pasta, tomato sauce. A soup later out on the new patio area, I spent part of today making a cosy corner on my patio. Looks nice
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I could get used to this being a "lady who lunches" - shame I don't have the bank balance to go with it:rotfl::rotfl:.
    I had a really lovely time with my "old" pals today, we've all known each other for 40+ years and while our individual lives have followed varied paths we've kept the bond over the years we developed as youngsters. We went to the new Italian restaurant and the food was absolutetly delicious . I had a simple dish of mixed meat skewers with summer veg and the chef certainly has a deft hand with the grill as the meat was cooked to perfection. The others were equally pleased with their choices. I was stuffed but a couple of us managed puds which we all had a taste of and they were just as good a panacotta with the just amount of wobble and a deep filled cheesecake with a gorgeous lemon filling. Both came with a ramekin of gorgeous icecream that they are making themselves. I'll definitely be heading back there when I get a chance as it was well priced for the standard of cooking and the service attentive but not in your face. I just hope it lasts as it was quiet today but the owner was saying that they are full in the evening Thurs-Sun so happy to let the lunch time business grow over time and overall it's doing better than their forecast is for the first few months after opening. Certainly our local FB page is full of folk who have been and loved it as well as those saying they would advise booking as they had tried for a table on spec unsuccessfully.

After a warm & dry but overcast start to the day the sun broke through just as we were finishing lunch so we headed back to mine and sat nattering in the garden for a few hours. All in all it's been a great day.:D
    Needless to say I'll not be wanting much for dinner tonight, I have some LO noodles/veg from last night which will do nicely. :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One of the advantages of work is the air conditioning :D one of the disadvantages is working through lunch again :cool:

It rained briefly this morning just after 7am, annoyingly just after I watered. It was only a quick shower lasted about 15 minutes so I suppose the water was needed :)

Lunch was smoked salmon and egg watercress salad. Dinner was a HM burger (without the bun) with airfried chips runner beans, broccoli and corn on the cob
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Options
    I love a good panacotta :). Mine you the cheesecake sounds good too which is why I have a weight issue :rotfl:

Sounds like a great day :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I love a good panacotta :). Mine you the cheesecake sounds good too which is why I have a weight issue :rotfl:

Sounds like a great day :)
    They were both lovely and really well made, but I knew I couldn't do a pud justice. :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,410 Forumite
    Options
    I had toast followed by a cheeky packet of crisps.:rotfl:

I am going to have some fresh melon later. I'm not sure what to have to eat as I'm not sure if I'm going to eat out tonight. I'm going out at 5 so I will probably have something light, maybe pasta again.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've put on weight.... it looks like quite a bit, I've a belly.

I guess I'll have to actively monitor my sweeties and chocolates intake.

Earlier in the week I did pick up a 5-pack of 30g doritos - and scoffed the lot. Yesterday I bought four egg custard tarts and ate two + a bag of jelly babies + a bag of other sweets which I think I've eaten and can't even remember what they were :)

Today I kind of half plan a toad in the hole, mash and beans - but it's far too warm/muggy at the moment to make that a valid choice. We'll have to see.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,280 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another hot sunny day, into L's on spec, only YS was sis pack of rolls, 20p, popped in basket, do me for a bit.

Nothing lase of note, meant I needed to think about making something for dinner.

Lunch was last of YS bacon, in YS rolls + brown sauce
    I've taken a salmon fillet out to defrost. I'll fry that in spot of oil / butter & have with salad for dinner

More watering, so dry without rain

I've put on weight.... it looks like quite a bit, I've a belly.

I guess I'll have to actively monitor my sweeties and chocolates intake.

oh dear, I thought you'd worked out free calories
    Probably those Sainsbugs doughnuts and not sticking to your normal sausage roll diet:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback