PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A much fresher morning, breezy but bright

Last night's steak ended up with HM chips + fried eggs, just CBA to even prep a salad
    Then later the YS box of chocs flew open and I scoffed one layer:o

Breakfast of porridge
    Took opportunity of early rise & cooler day to feed the pots in the back.

Ta Da!! today is first French bean day:j, enough for a meal, not heaps but enough

I've decided to use one of the frozen MFO RMs, liver & mash. Nukeable from frozen, should go well with my beans. I've some wilty carrots so could chuck some of them in steamer with the beans

Lunch, more YS rolls with cheese & HM pickle
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I got up really late today so I have just had a sandwich and some juice.
    I have a ready meal for tonight, butternut squash and chickpea curry. I haven't tried it before, from Morrisons.

That was really delicious, I had it with steamed broc and cauliflower too.:A
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    too hot to eat properly or maybe I am not hungry because I had a cheese omlette for breakfast at 6. I only wanted a small nut salad for lunch but also had a fresh warm demi- baguette with butter and jam for late breakfast, lovely with a cup of french press coffee. I managed a few jobs so have not procrastinated too much. Don`t feel like anything cooked later so will have a bought summer pudding and some hm raspberry yoghurt ice cream and I need to finish some water melon
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2019 at 7:23PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh I do like a piece of sticky flap jack PN but I can only ever manage a small piece. Not made one for years but used to make them pretty much every week when the boys were at home. My Gran used to make a "syrup loaf" as a teabread which sliced thinly and buttered was lovely. It was a WW2 recipe of flour, pinch of salt, syrup and milk and I have fond memories of helping her make them. Once it got a bit stale it was lovely toasted. I have her recipe and used to bake one fairly often for my late f-i-l.
    Do it! :)

My flappies were 100g marg, 25g sugar, 80g GS (easier to weigh than using spoons). I didn't have enough oats so put in the 170g I had (should've been 200g) and I had the mixed fruit so lobbed in about 150g of that (trying to use up the pack, but had a bit left still). Melted the first 3 together in the nuker, then added/stirred the remainder. Nuked 3 minutes. Spread in a dish, left to cool.

Eaten a lot today.... it was super hot, I've stayed indoors.

2x toast, 2x scrambled eggs, beans
    2 rounds of egg/cucumber sandwiches
    Last 2 pieces of the flapjack I made yesterday
    An ENTIRE pack of chocolate "angel delight", made in a jug and eaten from the jug with a big spoon.
    Large portion of oven chips.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Thanks for the flapjack recipe PN, looks pretty similiar to mine though I've never nuked it, I always add dry fruit as I do think it makes them nicer.:)
    I hope the first beans were delicious Farway.:D

It has pretty much been a "perfect" summer day here, warm & sunny with a light breeze. I've spent most of it in the garden and had both breakfast & lunch outdoors. My balance was a good bit better thankfully so I got quite a bit done re-doing pots and also tamed the jungle that my greenhouse had become. :DMy sis popped round early afternoon and we managed to find some shade and have a good natter.
    Lunch was the last of the oatcakes & brie with grapes and salad. For dinner I've defrosted a venison burger and I'm swithering whether to have it a crusty roll with salad or steam nuke some new potatoes/veg and make a peppercorn sauce. I suspect the easier option of roll/salad might win, I'll decide after I've watered my plants;).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Options
    I woke up to rain this morning which meant my lawn didn't get its hair cut from my neighbour first thing. I must bake him a cake and buy him some beer as a thank you as it's a job which makes me sneeze and wheeze even with my small lawn and i haven't had to do it at all this year :)

My sister borrowed a beach hut from a friend so even through it was over cast we drove down to the coast after an early lunch, it was still warm enough to sit in a t-shirt and drink tea whilst enjoying the view and lovely and quiet. For three hours we put the world to rights and discussed our trip to Devon at the end of the month :). The sun did come out enough for me to put on sun lotion although with my fair skin it doesn't take much sun :D

Lunch was a couple of crumpets I found in the freezer :). Dinner was the LO lentils and runner beans from yesterday with a pan fried mackerel fillet
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've been feeling bored all day, I got up late and then haven't been doing very much!

I have lots of books to read, but I wasn't in a reading mood. I couldn't even be bothered to watch the tennis.

I made a veggie and bean rice dish for lunch but only ate half of it. Then I got hungry so I had some toast just now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    My sister borrowed a beach hut from a friend so even through it was over cast we drove down to the coast after an early lunch, it was still warm enough to sit in a t-shirt and drink tea whilst enjoying the view and lovely and quiet. For three hours we put the world to rights and discussed our trip to Devon at the end of the month :). The sun did come out enough for me to put on sun lotion although with my fair skin it doesn't take much sun :D
    How lovely Brambling, you don't see many beach huts round here too wild & windy I expect. I do have vague memories of "changing huts" that the council used to wheel on the beach that you could hire for the day or longer but as I was a local rather than visitor we never hired one. I did used to be envious of the folk that had got one.:D

I hate unsettled days Wednesday, thankfully I find my books are usually enough to keep me occupied but sometimes even they don't do!

Dinner is a bit of a compromise- crusty roll with venision burger on one half and stir fried mushrooms/garlic/courgette/peppers on the other.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm a lurker and a bit of a fraud as there are actually two of us in my household. My son aged 14 has sensory issues and his eating habits are a continuous work in progress so sometimes I cook one thing for him and something different for me and sometimes we both have the same. He is happy with the OS routine that my gran would have loved - he has the same thing on each day of the week, week in, week out just like she used to cook.

His favourite meal is pasta in a tomato based sauce which I'm not keen on hence the different meals and why I read this thread for ideas. What I really wanted to ask was caronc please could I have your recipe for syrup loaf? I'm probably going to make flapjacks too at some point this week thanks to PN. Nice to meet you all and hello Brambling who I know from another thread.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Green smoothie for breakfast. Spinach, bananas and apple.:A
    caronc wrote: »

I hate unsettled days Wednesday, thankfully I find my books are usually enough to keep me occupied but sometimes even they don't do!

I realised that I had PMT yesterday so I think that was why I was a little moody, haha.
    CRANKY40 wrote: »

I'm a lurker and a bit of a fraud as there are actually two of us in my household. My son aged 14 has sensory issues and his eating habits are a continuous work in progress so sometimes I cook one thing for him and something different for me and sometimes we both have the same. He is happy with the OS routine that my gran would have loved - he has the same thing on each day of the week, week in, week out just like she used to cook.

:wave:

I am married but I usually cook separately so that it why I am on here.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback