PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am walking slowly, dressed in a cotton tent and hiding from the sun, heat is already building up and curtains closed on the sun side. Up at 6 and breakie of yoghurt, blueberries and granola, water to drink. Not wasting my day so I started sorting an upstairs room straight away. Breaktime with a nice fresh coffee and a piece of honeycake. Got LO soup for lunch and can see me wasting some just -turning milk, cba making scones with it. I have LO salad stuff needs using so one salad meal coming up later, probably with a few nuts. Ooh yes I found a frozen summer pudding, yum
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I hope the first beans were delicious Farway.:D
    They were, thanks. Just enough to be worthwhile. I also found a forgotten parsnip in the fridge so that joined them + carrots.
    My new spud peeler is real whiz, no fiddling, would slice a finger tip in a flash. made easy work of my fuzzy carrots

Welcome Cranky 40, your son's meals sound very CFO in some ways, "some old same old" but why not? No reason not to if that's what is enjoyed. I have porridge most mornings for instance but if Nigella popped round with Eggs Benedict I'd eat that instead;)

Today's meals are going to be very CBA & use up
    It was routine porridge & sliced banana breakfast
    Lunch, use up YS rolls with cheese & piccalilli filling
    Dinner, very likely to be use up stale bread as cheesy beans on toast, with couple of eggs topping

Brambling, seems you're my Pathfinder to Devon, I'm just looking at accommodation to visit my brother in Plymouth, probably September, too many things on in Plymouth in August, and nobody who could avoid it would choose the A35/30/38 during bank holiday week
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    ....My son aged 14 has sensory issues and his eating habits are a continuous work in progress...

I have that; ASD/Aspie related :)

It is, in part, why I eat peculiarly, irregularly - and cook bizarrely.
    :)

I have many "food rules" that make me unsuitable for inviting round and awkward to eat out with :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I've just put away: 1 hash brown (the last one), 1/2 tin of beans, 2 scrambled eggs.

I've 12 cans of beans to crack through at some point, although they can go into storage if necessary.... it's no biggie putting a few cans into storage. Ideally one'd be able to coordinate clearing the food cupboards completely to dovetail with a moving date, but that'd just be nuts to try :) I've mostly been trying to use up packets that are already open as opened packets will be binned at the last minute as that's too troublesome and not worth the £2 total value they cost.

I bought sausages last week; annoyingly they're BBE today and I've not opened the pack. I'll split/freeze those then. *sighs*

Freezer currently contains:
    3 portions of steak pie (YS)
    1 portion of BBQ kebabs (YS)
    1 750g pack of pork/beef mince (YS)
    4 packs of 2 sausages about to go in (I split 8 into 2s).

I need to crack on and eat that lot .... along with the 1.5Kg of spuds and 3 onions.

I was hoping for a bit of colder weather so I could drag that mince out and make chilli + eat those pie portions ... and lashings of mash.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Glad you enjoyed the beans Farway.:)
    Welcome to CFO CRANKY40, my Gran's syrup loaf recipe is - 4oz SR flour, 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda, pinch of salt, 2tbsp golden syrup, 1/4 pint milk (or milk & water). Sift the dry ingredients, heat the milk and syrup gently without boiling until syrup melts, add to flour mix and beat well. Pour into a well greased 1lb loaf tin and bake at 170C for around 30 minutes. Recipe can easily be doubled for a 2lb loaf which takes 45-60 mins to bake.
    It's another glorious day here though it did cloud over and threaten rain briefly but it never came to anything.
    Out and about this morning to do some errands and go to the dentist. Just a visit to the hygienist so nothing major but still needed to lie down for a bit when I get home to recover from the tilting.
    Lunch was crackers & pate with grapes and cucumber sticks. Dinner remains tbc possibly fish cakes from the freezer or a salad of some description. Now the sun has gone over a good bit I want to get more done in the garden and cba prepping anything.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind welcome, especially you PasturesNew. I'm ADHD so consider it lucky that my House Troll (he was a House Elf from 2006 until the teenage years started :rotfl: ) only has sensory issues. He may also have dyscalculia but I'm waiting for school to check that out. He's a fairly healthy eater and loves a roast dinner.... but it has to be mashed up. He will accept most veg if it's mashed but no fruit. He likes porridge and weetabix, my home made cakes and only drinks water, tea or coffee. Fizzy drinks are out as are most sweets and anything that is orange or lemon flavoured.

Tonight he had sausages (made by our local butchers), hash browns and baked beans. I had the other half of some chicken that I cooked yesterday with hash browns and cauliflower. I would normally have had broccoli with mine but the HT's best friend who is also ADHD took the bag of frozen broccoli home this time last week because it's her favourite thing and her mum didn't have any money until Friday,

caronc thank you so much for the recipe. I'm going to try it tomorrow when I'm off work. I've a feeling that the HT and my significant other (who lives a fair way away so doesn't often feature in our meal plans) will both like it.

Edited to add...we don't eat out very often either PN.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Cranky :)

Farway we booked a cottage via Airbnb, unfortunately my sister can only get time off in the school holidays but luckily they haven't upped the price that week for school holidays, it's on the outskirts of Exmoor. I'm not sure which journey will be worst a trip to Dorset at the end of this week for the weekend to sort family stuff or driving down to Devon the following Friday :eek: I'm trying to get this Friday off work to leave really early in the morning to try and avoid the worst but I'm not optimistic as work is manic at the moment :cool:

That's a lot of baked beans PN :D

For reasons best known only to themselves S*y disabled my email yesterday, I saved the phone call until lunchtime today and got an automated phone message to reset my password and managed after [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] some swearing, 'we will send your instructions via you alternative email account' :wall: :mad: Which I'm sure would have work if I had one :cool:

Lunch today was salad using up the last of the mini crustless quiches I made for 'picking' whilst working on Saturday, the salad was a little rustic and thrown together before work a hand full of spinach leaves, baby plum tomatoes, chunk of cucumber, a beetroot and some olives. Dinner was lamb meatballs with fennel braised in Vermouth, beans and broccoli, I reduced the sauce too much so although still very nice the LOs will have very little :o I took my eye off the pan

Right off to water now, yesterday's early rain soon dried up
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    edited 15 July 2019 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    That's a lot of baked beans PN :D

Yes, it kind of didn't work out right. Living in one spot I do tend to stock up a little with things I know I'll eat - and there'd been a couple of instances when 4ldi had run out of the four-packs. So I stocked up a bit... a bit too much.

Then, suddenly the house move was a possibility.... so I got caught unawares. I've eaten through my stock-up of rice pudding (about 4-5 cans from memory). Well, I've one left.
    caronc wrote: »

... my Gran's syrup loaf recipe is - 4oz SR flour, 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda, pinch of salt, 2tbsp golden syrup, 1/4 pint milk (or milk & water). Sift the dry ingredients, heat the milk and syrup gently without boiling until syrup melts, add to flour mix and beat well. Pour into a well greased 1lb loaf tin and bake at 170C for around 30 minutes. Recipe can easily be doubled for a 2lb loaf which takes 45-60 mins to bake.

Tempting... I've got milk that needs using up and I've got the rest of the stuff... might not have the bicarb (think I used that to clean/clear the sink drain at some point), but I'm sure it'd still taste the same.

I'm quite 'scared' of running the mini oven for a straight 30 minutes, I'd tend to run it 15 mins, wait a minute, then 15 mins - all the time standing there staring at it. I've got 1lb tins, two of them I bought from 4ldi as they're a good size for "loaf like things" when CFO.

Have to see if I CBA in a bit. Probably not as it's 8.20 already and I hate slaving over a hot something late in the evening.

Today I thought/then intended to open the 2-pack of naan breads and use a sausage to top that as a pizza, with a bit of cheese and onion. I was going to cook up two sausages and have the same again tomorrow.

But I forgot and made a fish finger sandwich instead for tea :(

The !!!!!! was tasty, but the wrong food planned :)

I've split the sausages up into pairs and popped six in the freezer... and I've cooked two of the sausages and they're in the fridge, so tomorrow and Wednesday will be sausage pizza days :)

Freezer now has:
    3 portions of steak pie
    3 packs of 2 sausages
    1 pack of BBQ kebab meat
    750g mixed pork/beef mince.

That's 14 meals' worth .... and I don't eat a "meal" every day. If moving, it could be any time 3-5 weeks. Might have to do an emergency scoffathon at some point :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Hope the recipe works out ok for you CRANKY40, on a similiar vein my kids used to love a yoghurt loaf - small pot flavoured yoghurt of your choice (we liked raspberry, apricot or cherry), using the pot the yoghurt came in add 1 pot veg oil, 2 pots caster sugar, 3 pots SR flour, 3 eggs (beaten). Mix thoroughly and pop in a well greased 2lb loaf tin. Smooth the top and put a dent in the middle with the back of a spoon and bake at 160C for 1-11/2 hours. Allow to cool fully before slicing - makes 12 decent slices and keeps well if wrapped and popped in an airtight container. Lovely with jam of the same flavour as the yoghurt. :)

I didn't get a huge amount done outdoors a combination of a long natter with my son on the phone:) and then being driven in by munching midgies. :eek:
    Stuffed pasta & green veg sauce for dinner using some HM pesto from the freezer. I've only had 2 (albeit largeish) portions of F&V today :o so that should give the count a decent boost. :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »

For reasons best known only to themselves S*y disabled my email yesterday, I saved the phone call until lunchtime today and got an automated phone message to reset my password and managed after [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] some swearing, 'we will send your instructions via you alternative email account' :wall: :mad: Which I'm sure would have work if I had one :cool:
    My sis had the exact same problem and ended up having to set up another email account after much toing & froing to get it fixed. Glad you got yours sorted out. :)
    Tempting... I've got milk that needs using up and I've got the rest of the stuff... might not have the bicarb (think I used that to clean/clear the sink drain at some point), but I'm sure it'd still taste the same.
    Might be a bit flat without it though I'm sure still tasty. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback