PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It's nice and sunny out though the forecast is for back to back rain coming in. I'm going to make the most of the dry weather and work on my veg patch.
    Food plans for today not quite finalised but will involve LOs from the weekend!
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had cereal with soya milk and banana again. I've had a tangerine too.
  • thrifty-hayley
    Options
    Morning everyone :)

I did take the picnic yesterday, weather held for about 10 mins then we ended up eating our sandwiches with our hoods up and running back to the car. Nothing like a great british picnic :rotfl:

For tea I made stir fry with frozen salmon and frozen stir fry veg, first time I've tried that and it was really nice. Today the bf is coming over later and I'm cooking for him, first time so lets hope I don't poison him! I have some steak strips that I'm going to do in a creamy sauce with mushrooms and pasta. Lunch will be cheese on toast I think.
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,416 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Back into normal Tuesday routine now my op is easing, into L's on way to volunteering, hit the YS mine today, 2 x macaroni cheese MFO @70p, plus bangers & mash in a Yorkie, 70p

And a potted patio Golden Delicious apple tree fell into my trolley as well. £8.99 offer. I've been wanting a GD tree for yonks but too tight to buy "proper one" from a nursery:money: Next year before I see fruit of course

Lunch I pinged a YS mac cheese, ideal size. Froze the other one
    Dinner will be the YS banger / mash / Yorkie combo

Realised I forgot biscuits & chocs in L's, probably for the best but now I crave a kit kat or similar
    I did take the picnic yesterday, weather held for about 10 mins then we ended up eating our sandwiches with our hoods up and running back to the car. Nothing like a great british picnic :rotfl:

Think we've all had that sort of experience, or running from the wasps

Brambling, I think your hand fork has eloped with mine, mine had bright red handle and is still AWOL. Harking back to similar AWOL items, probably both sitting round a sunny compost heap under a sunshade sipping Pina Coladas:cool:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I had a lovely day with a friend yesterday! We got the train up to Birmingham International, and went to see Hugh Jackman on his tour! He was really, really good, and it was a great atmosphere!
    In terms of "eats" - I took £3.50 from my various "change pots" to get a Starbucks from the station, to drink on the train - thinking that'll be more than enough... Well, a small latte was £3.10! I'm sure they're not that much in Costa! I'd thought it would be less than £3, so I was glad I had that extra 50p!

We both got a Subway sandwich meal from the station, before going into the venue, which filled us up, and stopped us wanting all the even-more-expensive food at the kiosks inside! Then both grabbed another bottle of juice on the way home again.

I'd budgeted £30 cash, thinking we might want a meal out, but neither of us were particularly hungry when the show ended, so we just headed home, and I got a pizza out the freezer later in the evening. So the £30 went back in my pot.

This morning I had a late-ish eggs and soldiers for breakfast, and have just had 2 coffees, a few biscuits and a chocolate mousse since. I think I might just do a chicken curry for dinner later... Not feeling particularly adventurous today. My hayfever has been playing up since late morning (after not bothering me AT ALL yesterday!), so I'm just staying in.

In good news, this morning I applied for a summer holiday job, working at a local summer camp, and already they've invited me for a phone interview next week. It's not great money, and fairly long hours (8-6), but I'm a bit of the view that some money is better than no money. I won't get my hopes up, but it's good to have an interview at least!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had bacon.eggs and tomato with two left over pancakes this morning and have just had baby potatoes, veg and a gammon steak.

There are button mushrooms in the fridge and some steak defrosting for tomorrow and if I get peckish later I might just have a mug of soup or something on toast.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    Options
    Farway I don't feel so bad if you lost a red handle one :p I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't the first time i used it :mad:

Flubberyzing Fingers crossed for the interview next week, as you say some income is better than no income :) My hayfever isn't good today either so i'm a bit wheezy, i wasn't sure if i took my tablet this morning or not :think:

My day started badly with the !!!!! electrics playing up again, same circuit as last time so everything in the kitchen other than the boiler controller and fridge freezer out of use. The socket which got damp in the dining room is still isolated so it shouldn't be that. The electrician can't come out until Thursday morning so it will be HM ready meals for lunch pinged at work and salads for dinner or I'll take up my sisters offer to eat there. I have still been using my dish washer although it can be temperamental so not sure if its plugged in but not in use if it can cause an issue? I was going to have him check the house electrics so maybe sooner rather than later, it will take him half a day so it will be just the fix (hopefully) on Thursday and then book him in for a half day. There are times when i hate owning my own home and living alone, sometimes I would love to hand it over to someone else to deal with :o

Foodwise lunch was beef cheek ragu and pasta (luckily i cooked pasta last night) dinner will be ?? I turned down my sister as she was offering pasta and tomato sauce :) I picked up some large crumpets YS 30p in W*itrose lunch time so I may move my toaster into the dining room with the kettle and have those (I forgot when I brought them that i had 4 crumpets in the freezer :cool:) or I picked up a piece of quiche YS from the deli counter so may have with salad and coleslaw. last resort will be takeaway but as i'm out early evening tomorrow I may have fish and chips or something picked up on the way home. Plenty of food in the house so I won't starve and with warmer weather salad works, just cba to carry microwave into dining room for a couple of nights

Anyway enough of the whinging it is what it is :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 May 2019 at 7:50PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Brambling, I think your hand fork has eloped with mine, mine had bright red handle and is still AWOL. Harking back to similar AWOL items, probably both sitting round a sunny compost heap under a sunshade sipping Pina Coladas:cool:
    With my favourite trowel playing gooseberry at the side:rotfl::rotfl:(I think it may have gone to the big brown wheelie bin in the sky which unfortunately got emptied yesterday:()

Fingers crossed for the interview flubberyzing:)

Car picnics feature regularly round here thrifty- hayley, if it's not rain its wasps or midgies.... (sometimes a mix of all three:eek:)
    How frustrating re the electrics Brambling, hopefully it will be easy (and cheap) to fix!

Lovely and sunny but quite cold in the wind here today - definitely sweatshirt rather than t-shirt weather. I got more done in the veg patch than I thought I might so I'm pleased but tired this evening. Less pleasing was getting nipped on the side of my pinky by a woodlouse spider (thanks Google) when I accidently put my hand on one in a pot (note to self put gloved not bare hand in pots:o). It was an aggressive wee beggar and would have had another go if I hadn't pulled my hand away sharpish. I was very close to breaking my rule not to kill spiders!:cool: My pinky was quite red & swollen for a bit but I've cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and it's just a bump now though still a bit itchy.

I'm wanting to buy a stowaway table as extra seating when I have a crowd round. My dining table seats 8 ( 10 if two skinny folk get up close & personal at either end) but not really ideal now the kids are fully grown and if the usual group is all here there are 11 of us which is a squish too far. At the moment we haul my small kitchen table through as an add on but that's going as I'm taking my Dad's dining set which will be fine in my kitchen but too big for an add on. I've see one I like on sale but annoyingly the web page doesn't have the folded dimensions which I need as it can only really go in place. I emailed the retailer and got a prompt reply quoting the extended measurements (which are on the web page), I had been really clear in my email what I needed........:mad: Second request now in with relevant bits in bold;)!

I never got as far as having a good look through the fridge, a job for tomorrow:cool:, but used up the LO coleslaw for lunch on an open sandwich with salami and a side salad. Dinner tonight is spaghetti with a salmon, veg & ricotta sauce. I'll freeze the remaining salmon tonight as well as a 4 uncooked venison burgers which weren't needed on Sunday and my friends wanted me to keep as they had some for themselves at home. I'll be more than happy to use those up in coming weeks:D. Once the salmon is in the freezer that will be the last of the tubs of LOs used up, though there's an unopened pack of 3 eclairs that I might also freeze. Mind you the "Use By" is Friday so I might just enjoy them instead:D.
  • thrifty-hayley
    Options
    Farway and caronc very good point about the wasps, would rather a few drops of rain any day!

Flubberyzing Good luck with the interview! I work with kids, I'm a nanny, never a dull day when there's kids about! Speaking of which, I'm having a second attempt at a picnic tomorrow with the kids I look after. I'm taking leftover donuts and muffins from yesterdays picnic, I can count on the kids to help me dispose of them ;) Weather forecast is looking good so fingers crossed!

My creamy steak/pasta concoction went down well and I didn't poison the boyfriend, so win win. Not sure what to have for tea tomorrow, trying to work through the contents of my freezer.
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,528 Forumite
    Options
    Toast with Marmite for breakfast.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing