PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Thrifty-Hayley :wave:

YS is yellow sticker/ reduced price!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • thrifty-hayley
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Hi Thrifty-Hayley :wave:

YS is yellow sticker/ reduced price!

Oooooh thanks, seems so obvious once you know lol. I was trying to think of a shop with the initials YS, doh! Ironic really because the last couple of weeks I've really gotten into hunting YS bargains. I've started following the poor man with the sticker gun around the shop near closing time :rotfl:

Thank you Firefox and Wednesday2000
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe I'm just a nosy sod :rotfl:

Just on its own ... that works :)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 26 May 2019 at 9:40PM
    Options
    Somebody had a Chinese.... somebody had a Chinese .... guess who had a Chinese....

Well, it's been weeks/months of talking about it - but today I finally stopped and picked up a Chinese.

I've seen a house I like and was doing one of those "drive past/round the area at different times of day/night" things - trouble is it's a 40 mile round trip :)

So, I got there about 7pm and had a double drive round, then parked up and walked around the local public feature, which probably amounts to half a mile... then I did another drive round near/past the house and left the area to come home at about 8pm, pulling over about 6 miles from the Chinese and placing my order so I could just walk in and collect.

The trouble with that drive round malarky is you can only do it so many times in a big diesel car before curtains start twitching as they think you're casing the road :) Being female/older it's easier to get away with it though than if I were, say, a 25-45 year old male. Old ladies driving round = poor love's lost her way; Blokes driving round = what's he trying to nick?

S/S Chicken balls (more like monster goujons) and I got their plain chow mein. I've eaten half and the other half's in the fridge for tomorrow. They used to give a big bag of prawn crackers free, but, today, I got two Fortune Cookies, which I don't see the point of/don't like. £8.30 anyway, so not too shabby on the basis I don't buy many, it's for two days and it was a "treat" to myself for having done the 40 mile round trip.

Earlier today I had two crumpets for breakfast and cheese & beans on toast for lunch.
  • thrifty-hayley
    Options
    S/S Chicken balls (more like monster goujons) and I got their plain chow mein. I've eaten half and the other half's in the fridge for tomorrow. They used to give a big bag of prawn crackers free, but, today, I got two Fortune Cookies, which I don't see the point of/don't like. £8.30 anyway, so not too shabby on the basis I don't buy many, it's for two days and it was a "treat" to myself for having done the 40 mile round trip.

Earlier today I had two crumpets for breakfast and cheese & beans on toast for lunch.

Your post has just made me feel really hungry lol. £8.30 isn't bad at all for a treat. Most important question, what did your fortune say? Good luck in the future? ;)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Hi Thrifty-Hayley :wave: welcome to CFO land

PN was this the house you put in an offer or another one? Glad the Chinese was better than the recent Indian :)

I haven't CFO today :) lunch was a cheese scone at the garden centre, I didn't need anything but went with my sister for compost and we had a snack.

I fed my sister and both my nephews for dinner, my eldest nephew was a last minute attendee :) I cooked Chinese, Asian inspired salmon with rice, stir fry vegetables, Singapore noodles with onions and bean sprouts. Youngest nephew provided lemon drizzle cake for afters and I provided a mixture of berries to balance it out

Whilst I was in the kitchen I made a rice pudding (to use milk) in the pressure cooker, than I made beef cheek ragu in it, using YS meat from the freezer my nephew took home a portion so a little less to fit in the freeze as one cheek makes four portions :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Last night's dinner finished up as bacon sarnie + brown sauce, followed by last of the cherry pie:o
    Porridge as usual breakfast

Bit dull out but beats rain I suppose for those on a Bank Holiday
    Brambling wrote: »
    I haven't CFO today :) lunch was a cheese scone at the garden centre, I didn't need anything but went with my sister for compost and we had a snack.
    I'm in your footsteps today, garden centre cafe with family, but this is on country estate, so maze + model railway etc for the children
    I was wondering what to have as snack, now I've an pinched idea

It also has a Farm Shop so an thick & tasty ethical FR pork chop may follow me home

PN, sounds like you need to check out the Chinese takeaways in potential new pasture. We used to live in road with a Chinese TA at bottom of road, this was in the 70s so it was a bit more exotic then, and very handy at times

Dinner, no idea, depends how the day turns out
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast.
  • thrifty-hayley
    Options
    Morning all :)

My picnic plans are looking a bit iffy, currently forecast for blustery showers... So do I make a picnic anyway, seeing as I've bought the stuff and eat it in the car if we have to, or do I give it up and go to a little cafe instead? Decisions decisions...

Having toast for breakfast from the 10p loaf I got yesterday, lunch and tea, who knows? Depends on how the day works out.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Most important question, what did your fortune say? Good luck in the future? ;)

It was rubbish. Living alone sometimes has miniscule bonuses - e.g. those prawn crackers was a standard/large sized bag they'd hand out to anybody (couples, families) with every order... so that was a gain :) As for the fortune cookies, they'd tossed two into the bag :)

I've eaten them both now, this one in front of me says "Your luck will completely change today. Lucky Numbers 23, 5, 7, 3, 37, 31."

As I don't believe in a pre-printed slip of paper determining my future, I won't rush out to buy a lottery ticket. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback