PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've opened the pack, there are 3 of the little dishes in there. They're just glass and like a wide topped finger dipping bowl... so they'll do great for portions of desserts, or as dip bowls. I can't see them on the £land website. Probably 1.5" tall and 4" wide at the top. Not good for banana custard as that's best served in half pints :) Certainly about 2x the portion size of, say, buying a little pot of individual trifle.

Not entirely dissimilar to these, but a set of 3 and not 4.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Glass-Pinch-Bowls-Sauce/dp/B00U7MSQBG

I've kept some of the small durable type containers I've had foods in over the years - as I've found them handy for quite a variety of purposes. For instance - I put all the different flavourings for a recipe in them on the worksurface these days prior to starting one.

Also handy for odds and sods like a cut lemon I've just used part of.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2018 at 8:47AM
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/mum-ditched-christmas-foods-hated-7012187

This could literally have been written by me, apart from the cheesy biscuits:rotfl:

Mind boggling at the thought she'd been doing that because "everyone else does". I'll walk off and try and get my head round that whilst doing my breakfast - after I've nipped back for a quick look to see where she lives.

Guess that's the advantage part of it's a mixed blessing to come from a modern reasonable size place (ie a city) - as you're used to making a conscious decision about every single thing anyway - because there isn't any one thing "Everyone else does" and you watch this group doing this/that group doing that/etc and have been "picking and choosing" what you want personally for everything anyway.

I do remember my mother used to "do the done thing" and there was those packets of dates/tins of chocolates (mainly for my mother - as she does have such a sweet tooth:rotfl:), etc whilst I was growing up and for a while afterwards. It took her a while to think "What do I personally want?" and then everything "standard" except the chocolates stopped being bought.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've kept some of the small durable type containers I've had foods in over the years - as I've found them handy for quite a variety of purposes. For instance - I put all the different flavourings for a recipe in them on the worksurface these days prior to starting one.

Also handy for odds and sods like a cut lemon I've just used part of.

I kept a lot "in case", but got rid of a lot of duplicates when I decluttered to sell the house.

The little plastic pots when I buy "pack of 3 cheesecakes" I probably had about 30-40 of. They were handy for all sorts of things, little coin pots, sorting out self-assembly furniture parts ...

A lot of my nuke cooking is done in saved microwave ready meal dishes I've kept. I've got a collection in varying sizes/shapes that are "perfect" for my needs for specific jobs. e.g. those white/almost see through ones for "frozen fish/vegetable steam" meals - they're long and narrow and perfect for cooking pasta/spaghetti in.

I've got a couple of round ones I do chips in.

Small/rectangular are for hash browns.

Tiny "pudding pots" are great for mixing up teaspoon of gravy granules.
    Options
    LOL re the self-assembly furniture parts use - as I do that too.

By now I'm used to automatically getting out some container or other to store "bits" in that a workman (yep...right word...as they've always been men:cool::cool:) needs for any job they're doing here - as I have yet to find they've brought a container with them or asked me if I have one. I learnt that one after a couple of occasions where bits went "wandering" and the workman spent some time hunting for them - as he'd forgotten where he'd put them.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Today's the day I really should be making some form of a quiche thing....

I've one out of date egg (to be checked) ... and 10 fresh ones.
    I have cheese.
    I have milk, unopened, BBE 14th
    I bought onions and tomatoes yesterday.

So it's inevitable, I have to use that milk .... and the best way to do that is to knock up a quiche... either crustless, or with a tortilla base (most likely). Just got to get motivated to start .... :) that's the ingredient I've very rarely got in the house.

Some of the milk will be used to knock up a chocolate dessert, to try out those new little bowls for portion size.

Sausage rolls will be consumed, I have six snack sausage rolls in the packet still from yesterday.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,419 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Before I forget, PN, I've read that a tin can makes useful "to hand" rolling pin.
    Not tried it but see no reason it would not work. Not sure about hygiene aspect with a fully labelled one, but guess an empty washed one minus label etc would be fine

At least your house is still generating viewings so must be "right price / area etc" for selling

Usual porridge breakfast

Was going to write the Christmas cards I started to do at the weekend, but put off, than 45 letter news broke, so [STRIKE]bored on [/STRIKE]watched that:o

Dinner, I've changed my mind umpteen times since I got up, I think I've settled on something with loads of mushrooms, only because I've got loads and they need using soon
    Probably omelette with grated cheese topping, and if I think of it I'll bung in some of my newly acquired frozen sliced mixed peppers
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The meal was good 17 of us ! So much for keeping numbers down! That's what happens in big families.
    I had leek and potato soup, chicken in pepper sauce, potatoes and veg. Then creme brulee.
    I'm working today so about to have a chicken salad roll! I'll take a rice pot with me.
    I'm thinking hm pizza later.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm another one that keeps random pots/tubs for bits and bobs.:)

I had an unexpected visitor first thing, my nephew looking for coffee and a shower.;) My sister is getting some plumbing work done knocking the bathroom out of action. He slept in and the plumber was earlier than expected so he just legged it round here to get sorted out before heading to college. He's away now suitably clean, fed and watered.:)

I'm feeling more like it today so want to get a few chores done before I make a start on the cards. It's definitely much colder today so I'll make sure there are plenty of logs in.
    I'm going to pop beef stew in the SC for tomorrow, I'm not sure about dinner tonight yet. Lunch will be a bagel with pastrami & cream cheese and some soup from the freezer.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ... tin can ...
    As you say, many issues there... apart from hygiene, they're quite narrow and have sticking out bits top/bottom and a seam down the back... all causing "marks/dents/patterns" which might be annoying. In the main though, it's the length/width of it that'd be an issue, not long enough.

I could use a glass coffee jar.... not sure that'd be quite wide enough either. Probably the ideal width is ~10"... but you never know until you give it a go what size you'll need on any given day :)

There are many things one could use... but you still need to have them available... so just looking out for a £1 one will be best in the longer run.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Beans on toast for lunch....

Followed by that 'Aero' bar. I think, before I've checked with a real one, that the genuine article weighs 38g, whereas the 4ldi version I bought weighs 100g... so that's like 3 Aeros :)

Quiche... probably not today....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport