PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've ordered some shopping from T*sspots and I did 20 minutes on my trampoline.:A

I've had Quorn fishfingers in 2 wholemeal rolls with ketchup for brunch.

I have a bowl of HM soup in the fridge.:)
    It's not the big things that pee us off .... like world peace and global rampaging diseases... it's the day to day annoying minutae that really winds us up ... like a bus being 1 minute late, or a pot lid not sealing. :)

It's a pot, it's a lid, just HOW farqin hard can that be to get right???? grrr, eh!

I can't stand it when you buy a jar and you can't get it open!:mad:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I tend to start by trying to break the vacuum by finding a strong/thinnest ended teaspoon and prising it under the lid. Once that vacuum seal's broken it comes off... although there is a small danger the spoon will fly off to the side, following the underside of the rim, instead of levering the top off... thereby slicing into your thumb. In the main though, as an easy to try/achieve system, this tends to work for me. Any blade would work... metal just has to be strong enough not to bend too easily. Screwdriver, scissors, knife.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,419 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Cheese salady sarnie for lunch

I have tried the PN method but had problems, then found a made for job lever thingy in local shop for assisted living aids, same as the one here. Sturdy plastic with chunky grip for my bent no grip fingers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Action-Opener-Color-Assorted/dp/B0001IX9RW

PN, rolling pin, Empty Pringles tin? scoff contents as part of XCFO, two birds one brick:D
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296734865

It is mushroom omelette tonight, and frozen chips.
    I found & remembered the mixed peppers, defrosting, plus decided to try a no cook "crumble" I saw in the W/rose free paper
    It consists of frozen berries, got them, muesli, got that, honey, got that, berries in base, muesli on top, honey soaks in & sets the muesli, allegedly

I'm going to slice some fresh apple & an orange in as well, then top with HM yoghurt come scoffing time
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    An exceptionally rubbish tea for me today... A par-baked baguette and butter.
    I had the other in the packet with my camembert yesterday... I should have just bought two, because it was delicious.
    Bread and butter for tea is pretty dire! But I wasn't super-hungry, and I wanted to eat it before it started to go stale.

I'm heading off in less than an hour, to sing in my choir's Christmas concert... It's due to finish around 9pm, but I can always have something else to eat when I'm home again.

Need to go and change my clothes now. Dress code is all-black, with a splash of red for "festive-ness". The musical director is sourcing me a stool to perch on while we sing, as my foot isn't great for standing for any length of time.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Just had cheesy nacho dip on a roll.Cba cooking as feeling poop :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Wednesday, T*osspots made me howl with laughter! Esp as I used to work there, & it's a very accurate description of the experience....!
    That's what I'll be calling it in future.

I've been getting lots of early nights this week. Last night I had a real case of cba so tea was a 100g pack of crisps, some roasted cashew nuts (I bought them after the Xmas nuts talk a couple of days ago ...) & two custard doughnuts.

Today, I've had some tuna curry defrosted from the freezer & 3 chapattis. I need to make those portions a bit smaller when I make & freeze it. Really could cope with just 2 chapattis but I always have too much curry left. Gonna start weighing it in future - 150g instead of 250g-ish will suffice & I'll have more portions.

I've had to take a flask of tea or coffee in to work everyday. Coffee machine is broken & I cba with milk/teabag/sugar wars in the office. My thermos has been keeping hot all day.

I need to use up milk somehow. I bought 4 pints thinking I'd be good & have muesli every day for breakfast before work - never touched it all week...
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I CBA... so reached into the freezer and got out a lonely frozen bread crust.... got it as far as the nuker and thought "I have chips", so put the crust back in its bag and left it out to defrost naturally (I'll have that tomorrow) ....

And now the chips are cooking, to be served with beans.

I'd have fish fingers too, except I've not got any :)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 12 December 2018 at 8:01PM
    Options

I need to use up milk somehow. I bought 4 pints thinking I'd be good & have muesli every day for breakfast before work - never touched it all week...

I do that... *pulls out the list of 4000 recipes and reminders and ideas*

I've got recipes tagged in my collection of 4000 with the tag UseUpMilk :)

So .... what's in there.... angel delight/similar own brand; quiche/flans, crustless or with pastry (life's too short for that); if you have the right sort of rice and a SC you can "dump and forget it" by making a rice pudding; milkshakes if you've got the milkshake syrup or powder (or CBA getting some); bread/butter pudding if you've got all that other stuff you need; stuff with a cheese sauce, like mac cheese or cauli cheese or lasagne or fish pie or even moussaka; giant yorkshires; egg custard (eggs/milk/sugar/vanilla essence, nut meg for top if you CBA to find/buy).

So... what catches your eye?

The main problem is probably the problem I most often have (apart from CBA), which is not having the other ingredients + CBA to source them :)

I've a pint to get through by 14th and I CBA getting round to it yet.... seal's untouched.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

I'm generally ok with jars but any that are difficult I tap lightly all round the rim with the straight edge of a knife and finds that is generally enough to loosen it. My pet hate though is packaging that looks as though it should be easy to open not being:mad::mad: e,g, has a tear or pull here tab which doesn't. Always makes me grumpy!
    candygirl hope you feel less rubbish tomorrow <<hug>>
    flubberyzing I hope all goes well tonight, a footstool sounds very sensible:)
    I must be unusual in CFO land as I seldom struggle to use up milk and buy 4 pint cartons with my usual grocery orders. I do take it in tea/coffee but just a splosh. Mind you I pay little attention to the "Use by" as I find it is fine for several days after this and it's easy to tell if it's gone/going off. If I do end up with spare I tend to make a batch of white sauce and freeze it in CFO portions which I find super handy to have to hand.

I finally made a start on the Christmas cards :j:j just a few but "every little helps" as they say. Stew was popped in the SC around 1pm and cooked on low all afternoon. I've not long switched it off so it's cool enough to pop in the fridge overnight. It probably needs a bit longer but I'll check that tomorrow - smells good though. :)

I was looking forward to my pastrami and cream cheese bagel until I realised that I hadn't defrosted the pastrami. It's "proper" stuff so I wasn't for ruining it by defrosting it in the microwave. It's in the fridge now and I'll have some tomorrow. I had 2 portions of lentil soup in the freezer a "normal" sized one and a slightly bigger one. I had the bigger one for lunch with a toasted bagel smeared with the end of a tub of Dairylea and that did me fine.

Tonight I'm swithering between courgette and mushroom frittata or cornish pasty with peas and maybe beans. I think the cornish pasty option might be winning;):)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh that frittata sounds lush :p
    I got loads of food delivered yesterday , but have zero appetite, not even for garlic dip :eek:
    I bought Xmas cards the other day, but cba writing them yet.Not feeling Xmasy at all this year. :(
    I need a metaphorical boot up the arris:rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills