PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2018 at 3:43PM
    Options
    I love a potato croquette!!!

In fact, I was looking at some in Aldi this morning... The shelf label said they had regular ones and cheddar ones... I'd have got some cheddar ones, but only regular to be found. So didn't bother.

They were the ones... I'm sure the pack said cheddar, I thought I grabbed cheddar, but when I looked at the pack earlier on there was no mention of it that I could immediately see.

They were pretty tiny ....

And I didn't cook them properly (simply shoved all 6 into a pyrex jug and nuked them for 3 minutes) ... which won't have helped.

I'm going to grub around in the bin now .... double check the label.

EDIT 2: Checked. Yeah, these were the plain ones. Could've SWORN I got cheddar, maybe I saw the shelf label and grabbed and assumed they were all cheddar... well this lot weren't.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,414 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 October 2018 at 3:32PM
    Options
    Rain has really settled in now, and wind to accompany it

My choice of a pie, mash & veg seems to the right choice for the day

Pie's defrosted, cabbage prepped, all set to go later

I've also taken the tub of stewed blackberry & apples out to defrost.
    It was frozen during the summer surplus.
    Not enough to make a crumble from but fine to plop RM custard on. I'm trying the L's RM custard, first time for that brand

I've never bought croquettes, I've eaten them if on my plate when out scoffing so no objections to them. Maybe if I found a YS pack or an offer I couldn't refuse they would go in my basket. So far not I've been tempted
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ...I'm trying the L's RM custard, first time for that brand

I use powdered as you're in control of quantities... I'm out of powder at the moment, but I went into 4ldi the other day and asked where it is and they only sell ready made cartons! So I need to remember to get some packets from L1dl.

Couldn't eat a whole carton/tin.... so packets work best for me.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,414 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I use powdered as you're in control of quantities... I'm out of powder at the moment, but I went into 4ldi the other day and asked where it is and they only sell ready made cartons! So I need to remember to get some packets from L1dl.

Couldn't eat a whole carton/tin.... so packets work best for me.

Odd, I used powder sometimes, but when I went looking, not in Ls, there were only jumbo packets hence went for the RM stuff. I'm a greedy guts and will eat the pack over a few days
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Odd, I used powder sometimes, but when I went looking, not in Ls, there were only jumbo packets hence went for the RM stuff. I'm a greedy guts and will eat the pack over a few days

There's chance I'm going mad and I asked in L1dl :) One of them doesn't do packets anyway... so I'm out of it. I've usually/always got 3-4 packs in.... but I've been running lot of stocks of things down really, trying to clear the cupboards a little bit at a time... and so some things aren't just being stocked up ad-hoc like they used to be when I'd grab things because I knew I'd use them at some point ....
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2018 at 4:54PM
    Options
    I think that, in addition to any building issues/construction, some people are just getting bl00dy noisier. They think it's normal and "everybody does it", so they've set themselves a fictitious noisy norm.... and others see/hear them doing it and do it too because ... "everybody does it"... and now they're building houses closer together too....

I managed to "spot/spy" on the viewer ... well, saw the car parked, then saw it driving up the road, he was in/out in 8 minutes, including Agent pleasantries.

8 minutes means one of two things, either:

- he's very decisive and had virtually made up his mind before even seeing it

OR

- (more likely) the second he got in the door he spotted it looked very different to the photos and thought "Blow this".

I know what you mean by how close some modern houses are built to each other. There are loads of new houses in my home city and some quite nice ones per se at standard price for "reasonable detached in passable area" at £400k/£450k. Now I still monitor houses for sale there (just in case of a lottery/premium bond win you know...) and I instantly reject the vast majority of the new ones as "just detacheds" as I call them (rather than "really detached") and with various other houses right "on top of them" peering into their gardens and maybe even peering into the inside of the house.

Long since resigned myself to "If I ever have the chance...." then I'll be buying a somewhat older one again - even if it needs modernising. Modernising one can do. Making extra space around a house one can't do. I don't think I'd dare go through house renovation again in current area - but I'd be willing to do so in my own area (as the tradespeople there are reliable - unlike this area of the country, where they are notorious for being unreliable).
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I'm all unsettled and twitchy ... and the weather's poor... so I would say "I'll treat myself to an indian takeaway", but it's not a treat is it, this is becoming a habit.

The main problem though is .... do I want that .... or should I have a chinese? So hard to choose....

Indian's winning at the moment.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you get your takeaway PN ?

The train Gods were smiling on us today and we both made it to Chichester on time, although my friend had to change trains. Unfortunately It was a very wet day but it just meant we moved from eatery to eatery :D we've never thought to go on a Sunday Farway :doh:

I lived in a flat for 15 years and the majority of time had no problem with noise, my elderly neighbour as she got deafer became an issue as her lounge was above my bedroom the general rule was once I could start answering her recorded quiz programs I would complain and the TV would get quieter for a while. I heard more from her than the family of 4 whose flat was above my lounge. They were big flats, and the reason we brought it was because it was a lot bigger than modern 2 bedroom houses.

Cooking wise I've done none today :p lunch was out and dinner has been cheese and fruit
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Did you get your takeaway PN ?

Went indian :)

I decided to go all out and get some naan breads and onion bhajis from L1dl en-route, but they'd sold out of bhajis.... grabbed a pack of fruit pastilles and some choc covered peanuts in there, with naan bread.

I decided to eat half the rice and the whole of the veggie curry - then scooped a bit more rice into my bowl... so just 1/3rd portion of the rice left over and boxed up.

Scoffed the rice/curry and one naan, then peanuts and some pastilles... and fell asleep fully dressed on the sofa after that :)
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

The weather is looking much nicer out there today!
    This cold is still a doozy... My head just feels full of it.

I'm about to head out to Tesco and do the weekly food shop. I would have done it tomorrow, but there's very little in the house now, that would actually make up a meal I would feel like eating!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business