PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I popped out for a food run ... back with a small assortment of beans, eggs, bread muffins, squash drink & fizzy water .... and, of course, frozen chips, 6 sausage rolls and 2 bags of choccies :)

Eaten half of one bag of choccies and two sausage rolls already.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I popped out for a food run ... back with a small assortment of beans, eggs, bread muffins, squash drink & fizzy water .... and, of course, frozen chips, 6 sausage rolls and 2 bags of choccies :)

Eaten half of one bag of choccies and two sausage rolls already.

Are those L's chips? Just wondering because I've seen some saying L's chunky chips are good. I've only had the normal ones and was not impressed by them
    Currently I'm on Iceland's chunky but no reason not to go elsewhere
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2018 at 10:07PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Are those L's chips? Just wondering because I've seen some saying L's chunky chips are good. I've only had the normal ones and was not impressed by them
    Currently I'm on Iceland's chunky but no reason not to go elsewhere

L straight cut, 1.5Kg 95p.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I managed about 2 hours of report writing, before my brain was fried. :) Made a good dent in it though, just over 1700 words written.

Decided to have my tea early, so that I could properly chill when I got home from tutoring. I'm due there at 6 today, but I'm looking at the traffic on the main road from my window. It's crawling along, so I'll give myself 30 mins to get there and head off quite soon. It's annoying, because the journey would only take 10 on a clear run. But the traffic is just so unpredictable on the main road. Grrr! It's always pretty empty on the return run though, so that's good!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The parcel arrived about 5pm. Unfortunately the sink plugs were too small and need returning!::o
    I hope the pir light is ok when Bil comes to put it up on Friday.
    I was hungry after work today and didn't fancy lo pasta, so did a jacket spud with cheese and beans with a bit of salad. I will take the pasta to work for lunch tomorrow.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 October 2018 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Usual busy beginning of the month at work this week not helped by a 3 hour meeting the second this week with another scheduled for tomorrow :eek: thanks to my colleague in the US we spent a hour on the first item of a 7 page agenda, I can see us having meetings into next week unless we can put her on mute :o

Thanks to the meeting my lunch was late and had at my desk as I was catching up on emails, it was the last of my soup and although a lovely favour made me feel rather uncomfortable (sorry tmi) so I don't think I'll make it again :o. Dinner was late as I had to go out first and rather than the left over pork I was led astray by fish fingers when in T Express so it was a fish finger sandwich, I'm blaming one of you, can't remember who but somebody was talking about them recently :rotfl: I may regret the bread tomorrow but it was worth it :D my nephew will pick up the rest of the tiger loaf tomorrow to save me from myself :rotfl:

I also acquired a lovely piece of gingerbread from my nephew I love it when he tries out new recipes
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    Morning!

It looks distinctly dull and murky out there today!
    I'm heading off in about 20 mins to spend the morning with the same little lad as yesterday, and should be home around 12:30. I did debate detouring home via Timpson for a new watch battery, but I'm keen to get on with some jobs at home later, so I think I'll save that for tomorrow.

Yesterday my sat-nav took me to this school via the town centre, which involved a lot of stopping and starting at lights... I'm going to try going round the ring-road this morning... It might not be any quicker, but it's easier on my knees than the constant stop-starting!

Dinner tonight will either be "something with rice" or a steak and kidney pie. I'll see which I prefer when it comes to it.
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 7:42AM
    Options
    Disjointed eating yesterday and another DOD (Day Off Diet) - as it was dancing yesterday and lunch was eaten out (yep...decided it is a nice idea to have slivers of Parmesan over the poached eggs on sourdough toast with mushrooms I bought myself for said meal out). A plus point of my latest dancing thing is it's basically a group of incomers that came over here quite some time back - so their outlook on life is a lot more similar to mine (ie British) than that of more recent incomers to this part of the country. Little things like when one refers in conversation to "this country" and they automatically assume you mean "Britain" (rather than Wales - as more recent ones tend to) and "the Government" (and they automatically assume you mean the "Government" and not the "Welsh Assembly" - as more recent ones tend to). So literally speaking the same language as usual without periods of mutual incomprehension does help.

Probably not too much effort here today either - as dancing again today. At this rate I should regain my city fitness pretty soon - had never occurred to me that I'd be doing so much less walking moving outside a city - but that's how it works I've found (no "just popping to this" and then going back out again to "just pop to that" etc - as things one will require are miles apart/not here at all).

Second helping due of another recipe from A Girl Called Jack's latest cookbook today - a black beans and peaches (which turned out to be apricots - as I opened the wrong tin). I was obviously in absent-minded mode/having a blonde moment when I made that - as I chucked in the whole tin of fruit too (instead of the half tin I should have used for 2 portions). Duh! No wonder it was sweet - and just about edible.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've same dull & murky weather as FBZ this morning, misty as well

The second package never arrived, checking on delivery dates it is from today onward, I'm in anyway, bit of clerking catching up on bank statements & the like.
    Never seems to tie up with MS Money, either over or under, not by hundreds but annoying all the same, and my tax has come back, they seem to have added a few quid to my income as well, 'phone call some time when I can get in the mood

I noshed two of the YS sausage rolls later yesterday evening, but I neutralised the calories with a brown sauce dip

Breakfast just suited the weather, porridge, honey, banana [going a bit black now] with HM yoghurt

Lunch, was going to be last of the YS mini pizzas, but getting fed up with them so I'll probably freeze that one and have a PB baguette with ham & salady filling

Dinner, I was thinking of gammon, eggs & chips, but it is really pie weather. Undecided at present, I'll make my mind up later today
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    I'm home now.
    The little lad I was due to work with at school didn't turn up, so I stayed on and helped out with the class as best I could.
    The poor teacher in there is really struggling. Including my lad, there's 4 boys who are very difficult and downright defiant. The rest of the class are okay, but because these 4 are so disruptive and take up so much adult time, the rest are starting to go off the rails. Plus, the lot of them are pretty far behind academically. They're year 2, but were doing activities I'd expect year 1 children to be doing.

It's interesting what you hear when people think you aren't listening as well... Turns out the teacher has handed in her notice, because she can't handle it any more. And because she's stressed out, she's making mistakes. The maths she taught them today was totally wrong... I wanted to step in and tell her, but it's really not my place. She's only a young thing, and I did feel for her!
    I just sat there thinking "thank god this lot aren't mine!"
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business