PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    A book I look to when I want to sub ingredients is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flavour-Thesaurus-Niki-Segnit/dp/0747599777 it's never let me down yet.:cool:

I don't need any more food books, I don't need any more food books :rotfl:

Clicking on the link won't hurt will it :undecided:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Same here though I have been known to call a spade a *!"**!! shovel ;)

Me too :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Admits I find the whole idea of "influencers" more than a little odd.

I've long held that many people like to have their minds made up for them by others - it saves the effort of having to work out one's own opinion on things:cool:

I will pick up useful hints and tips - from anyone (be they "influencer" or otherwise) personally - but as for generally letting others decide opinions. Errr....well....actually no...I'll make up my own mind thanks.

Goodness knows - many of them are just copycatting each other anyway imo. I'm looking for people that have some new ideas of their own personally - and not endless regurgitation of "same old same old".
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I don't need any more food books, I don't need any more food books :rotfl:

Clicking on the link won't hurt will it :undecided:
    There's always room for a "little 'un":rotfl::rotfl:

I know I said this before on here but my Gran called me "the cat that walked by herself" - it's served me well over the years....:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    'morning all

Heating thermostat clicked on again this morning, but sun's out at least

Porridge etc for breakfast

There are a couple of "influencers" on here, now I fancy a pork chop;) Oddly enough I was thinking about defrosting one last night, but forgot about it

Once finished here I'm getting stuck into Photoshop again this morning, I've a book from the library and want to improve my photo painting technique. I did a course years ago but have forgotten a lot of it

Lunch is cheese & salad sandwich again

Dinner, very likely one of the £land cheese & onion pies
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Not too late to defrost a chop Farway, bung it on a metal tray and it will be fine by dinner time:).
    Overcast but dry (so far) here, I've domestic day planned and am just off to pop a piece of beef in the sous vide. It's a topside joint which I find is generally too lean to roast without it going tough so I either water bath it for a few hours then roast for 20 mins if I want it pink or slow cook it.

Lunch will be a sarnie of some sort and tonight it's roast beef dinner with my son.
    I won't be about much this week and expect to lose my internet connection for a bit when we do the room swap so I hope everyone has a good one:).
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

It's sunny, but a cold one out there! The winter coat has come out, and I think the gloves will be joining us shortly! I'm just back from Tesco though, and I was amazed by the number of people still about in light jumpers. I think they were fooled by the sun!

Today's lunch will be a sandwich and a banana.

Dinner will be pizza (again). I bought 2 yesterday, because they were on special offer, but they do clog up my small freezer rather a lot, so I like to see them in and out again quickly!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Might even be defrosted by lunchtime maybe Farway? But definitely will be by dinnertime.

I've lost count of how many times I've used that particular little tip to defrost things quickly - ie put them on something metal. In my case - usually lobbed straight into the saucepan I plan on cooking whatever-it-is in and then hoicked out before I start doing the recipe.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wanted sausage rolls, but have eaten them all.
    I wanted something "nice and tasty" ... but wouldn't know what.

So, it was time to poke around in the freezer and use up what's in there. Eat some of those hateful things.

I opened the freezer and put the remainder of the chicken I didn't really like much into there.... so that's that out of sight/out of mind for awhile :)

Then I spotted some spicy parsnip/cabbage bubble/squeak I'd made many months ago. Two neat wrapped packs... grabbed them both and thought "you're going...." and nuked them both hot.

Served with one poached egg and some baked beans :)

So that's a little more "cr4p I don't ever fancy" gone from the freezer. It's not that stuff in the freezer isn't good, it's just getting round to fancying it and having "something to go with it".
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Chop has been chopped until another day, realised the £land C & O slices are BB the 3rd, and only just twigged today is 1st. I know they'll keep a bit but I just want shot of them now, especially as the gammon steaks BB date is getting nearer, 17th

Failed on Photoshop painting, plenty of wet days over winter to practice

Dinner, I've decided to use up the LO boiled new spuds from yesterday, I'll pop them in the Actifry and maybe open a tin of beans to go with

Could be chop time Wednesday, depends what or any YS items I find in L's tomorrow morning
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback