PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I hope your asthma settles Brambling - nothing worse than a lecture!!

Thanks Caronc, I'm a women of a certain age there's the possibility I may have forgotten how to manage my asthma :cool: if I'm really lucky she will throw in the weight lecture too :o
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When hubbie was alive, he suffered with asthma so my house was a haven for asthma sufferers, in fact I have had wheezy sufferers come in and they get that `oh I can breathe` sensation. How did I do it:

every bit of painting anyhere in the house was auro paint, right from the start. The downstairs is stone flooring and upstairs is sisal
    Dust could have been a problem as could pollen, local wood smoke and VOCs from oilseed rape but none of it was. Fresh air is drawn mechanically through the house through a low vent on the north side. I used house hepa filters in all areas, I still have 2 airvax and 2 heaven fresh. One son is going to have a heaven fresh plus a spare expensive hepa filter. I never allowed any pets in the house, I see a villager go into next door with 2 large panting labradors. It isn`t easy to say no but it only needed no once. Not even my children bring their dogs. Dog owners should have more sensitivity when visiting eg my neighbour

It was not hard for me to do, I too have had that panic eg when in a house with a cat, my hubbie started getting those puffy eyes. We said quick goodbyes and left, then around the corner, he started using his puffer time after time. We got over that but never again. It was truly frightening and never to be repeated

I do have a mental legacy though, we used to have 3 dogs and 2 cats, always kept in areas that would not affect husband. I always washed my hands but dander from animals is insidious and gets into areas inside. I find now that I cannot make a fuss of any animal

Back to food: boiled egg and toast for breakfast, coffee now, braised turkey and mixed fresh veg later. Frying pan with a lid=braised. I have cabbage, carrots, courgettes and beans from the allotment
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Overcast this morning, with light grey clouds, for the first time. 73F/37C indoors.

Yesterday evening I had another pitta (so many in a pack!), filled with cold sausages and brown sauce.

As I've still got pitta breads in the packet to eat, I expect I'll have that again later.... I might cook some onions for it, I might heat the sausages up ... but all that detail can be sorted out when I get round to it.

Nothing today so far... I've got food I could eat, CBA right now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Bright and sunny here this morning. It's forecast to not be quite as warm as it has been recently - I'm hoping it's correct:).
    Thankfully no asthma here though my elder son is prone to allergies, cats and shower products mainly.
    I need to run a couple of errands this morning and then hope to get some gardening done.
    Usual toast & fruit for breakfast and lunch will be mini pork pie & salad again. Not sure about dinner but it will involve broccoli, broad beans and courgette so I'm thinking pasta or a stir fry.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Just had breakfast, 2 hash browns, sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans... and a splash of brown sauce. All in 65p, so not a cheap breakfast, but a "main meal" one really that'll keep me going all day.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Anyone with a quick/easy beanburger recipe please?

I've got some canned kidney beans out of the freezer and am thinking - "Maybe that and some bread oddments made into breadcrumbs etc = burgers"..

No eggs in at the moment - so I'd have to make up an "egg" worth of "summat to stick it together" with flaxseeds or chia seeds or summat.

Think I'd better be looking out some cheap and/or using what I've got type recipes for a bit - with the amount of healthcare bills I'm having to pay out right now because we don't have much of an NHS left. In the course of just a few weeks it's been:
    - feet - £25 I think
    - dentist (swopping to new dentist/filling replacement/etc) - £178
    - sprained muscle in arm - that was an acupuncturist - £39 (hopefully the one visit should do the trick)
    - I've got a little cosmetic blemish removal coming up shortly - £80 I think

Over £300 in quick succession on putting right various bits of my anatomy:eek:

Hence "What can I have that's cheap then?"
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jack Munroe's carrot, cumin & kidney bean burgers are pretty decent and vegan
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Thanks...I'd forgotten about them.

Off to look that up in a minute - even more so as Sod's Law has just happened and I suspect my toaster has just gone on me:mad:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I opened the fridge for a drink ... and spotted the final bhaji... so that was scoffed.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,368 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    even more so as Sod's Law has just happened and I suspect my toaster has just gone on me:mad:

Bummer, I always used the grill for toast, until I "earned" a toaster with coupons from scanning shopping. Now it is always used, unless summat on toast like melted cheese. Luckily there plenty of cheapo toasters about, no idea if they are better or worse than dear ones, I know for kettles it makes no difference except for looks

Bit cooler & duller today, down to 73F in doors. It even looked like rain, but that passed, so still out watering the pots

Caron, I suddenly realised yesterday about the choc ices post throat, I guess they would then be classed as medicinal, right?:D

Nil breakfast
    Lunch was cheese & coleslaw sandwich, odd mix but it was tasty

Oiked another baking spud out, dinner tonight is repeat of yesterday, spud, salad & YS coleslaw.
    Last night's was excellent & easy and tonight is my Last Supper before anaesthetic, may be too groggy tomorrow evening, perhaps just a prescription choc ice then?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure