PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,351 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another sunny day, with the same carrying on through the weekend, so they say.
    Asda are always out of stock! That is why I never order from them anymore.
    Surprise, surprise :) , the veg burgers arrived! I read that putting No Subs they try harder 'cos no easy option available. Very long-dated, so perhaps they were only delivered yesterday?
    What was OOS was own brand Greek Yogurt, I add No Subs to that because I don't want a low fat or flavoured sub.

One sub was very posh Blue cheese instead of peasant's one I ordered, I'll enjoy that.

All packed away now with a full fridge again
    Brambling said:
    Weather has been a complete change from yesterday, sunshine and really warm 😎🌞 luckily I wasn't working so made the most if a couple of hours pottering in the garden, lunch outside and a trip to the garden centre.  I did upset my hip and back carrying compost so an easy afternoon. 

I did same with my back, took a while to improve, so I was extra wary when I bought the last lot, takes time unfortunately

Lunch, cheese & onion rolls
    Dinner, going to try the veg burgers, with HM AF chips & salad
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I looked at my Fitbit and I had almost 11 and a half hours sleep last night! I did have two very bad sleeps in a row a few days ago.

I just had a fruit smoothie and a veggie burger with a big salad for lunch. It is quite nice again and my washing is hanging outside. I'm leaving the decking to dry for a day before painting it tomorrow.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May at 3:28PM
    Options
    We had a misty start to the day but the sun burnt it back by 10am. There is a chap (Greg) doing a charity sail around the UK raising funds for the RNLI, I saw him pass by yesterday on his way to Peterhead - hope the weather stays fine for him.

I can never remember the greek name for them but lunch was basically butter beans in tomato sauce with some feta, rocket and crusty bread, plenty leftover for tomorrow B) .

Tonight a turkey steak cut into strips and stir fried with beansprouts, kale and noodles, sauce part as yet undecided.

• justkeepswimmimg
    justkeepswimmimg Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Snap, N2BT - foggy start and then turned into a lovely sunny, mild day. I think you’ve had gigantes plaki? One of my favourites 😋

Usual Wednesday of long meetings (3 today). Was glad of my lunchbox of couscous with tuna, cherry tomatoes, capers and roasted peppers.

Been swimming this evening so just knocked up a quick Thai red curry with LO roast chicken and sugar snap peas, served with noodles. Was only from a Lidl paste but it’s a really nice one, I added a splash each of soy sauce and lime juice plus a pinch of sugar.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,184 Forumite
    Options
    Snap, N2BT - foggy start and then turned into a lovely sunny, mild day. I think you’ve had gigantes plaki? One of my favourites 😋
    My favourite as well 🙂

Early morning hygienist appointment to start the day and they wanted an appointment when I booked the next one, I thought it was strange they emailed, texted and called me yesterday to remind me so i assuming as the dentist is now private only people are leaving and not cancelling hygienist appointments, it was definitely a ouch bill, at least I didn't have to make the next one for 8.30am 🙂

LO sweet n sour pork with noodles for lunch there is some left for tomorrow.  Scampi, chips and sweetcorn for dinner
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,351 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Warm & sunny again, given the forecast & frost days are over here I'm going to plant out some tomatoes later. Blizzards next week :o !

The posh veg burgers were OK, I'd have them again but TBH as I'm an omnivore, bog-standard HM burgers made from fresh 100% beef mince are cheaper with far less added ingredients or processing, very MSE
    The veg ones would be fine IMO if you don't or can't eat meat.

Lunch, cheese & onion rolls
    Dinner, another of my experiments. 
    Trying the Asda Essentials frying steak. With HM chips, sautéed mushrooms & fried eggs.
    I'm not expecting succulent fillet steak at the price, but I'll give it a go, bash with my meat hammer & marinade before frying

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Thats it JKS, ashamed to say at my age I've only realised how much I like butter beans :) , never really used them before. So they will definitely be included on the shopping list again.

It rained overnight but its turned out to be a lovely morning so far, heading out for a walk soon then doing some meal prep as I have my spring booster appointment this afternoon and may not feel much like cooking tonight or tomorrow.

Leftover beans, feta & crusty bread for lunch and all the elements I need for a moussaka are defrosting ready to assemble and shove in the oven tonight.

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,475 Forumite
    Options
    I had wholemeal bread with Flora and Marmite. I just walked up to the charity shop and back and didn't find anything to buy. It is very warm! I am about to start painting the decking.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Yum I've not had gigantes plaki for ages, I must rectify that. N2BT Nigel Slater does some lovely butter bean recipes, I particularly like this one though I only use one tin of butter beans and serve it with baby potatoes. Nigel Slater’s chicken with butterbeans and rosemary | Food | The Guardian It's very good with pork too. Any leftovers make a nice quick soup base. 
    Cloudy but mild here, I need to sort out my Tesco order and have a catch up with out of school club managers but apart from that no real plans so might continue the decluttering - sorted out my bedroom drawer of doom yesterday, don't think I'll need to buy kirby grips or hair ties for a very long time!!
    Fridge bits for lunch and Thai green pork and veg curry with rice for dinner.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options

Thanks Caronc I like the sound of that one. I made a chicken curry a couple of weeks ago and I would normally bulk it up with some chickpeas but had ran out so opened the tin of butter beans used some in the curry then drained, rinsed and put the rest in the freezer, much handier for CFO recipes  B)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure