PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think that is a good price for HM curd Farway although I'm assuming it needs to be kept in the fridge and won't last so long as the one with the preservative 😁

Another busy day at work, still short staff, I did manage to solve a discrepancy on a spreadsheet which had been annoyingly elusive

Scrambled egg on a toasted bagel for lunch.  I added additional veg to a small cheese and tomato pizza for dinner with some spinach salad 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • weenancyinAmerica
    weenancyinAmerica Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Started reading this thread from the beginning in January. Just caught up. Interesting to see that several people are still on here having made it since before Covid. It has been really eye-opening to see how the prices have changed and how shopping habits changed due to Covid. PS I learned a lot as well. Keep up the good work.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Misty start, sun may arrive later, at lest not raining & it's mild
    Brambling said:
    I think that is a good price for HM curd Farway although I'm assuming it needs to be kept in the fridge and won't last so long as the one with the preservative 😁

Yep, needs fridge, shelf life about a fortnight so they say, but it's so yummy I think the shelf life is theoretical, and I need to eat it to reduce my chances of scurvy
    I've already added on offer lemons to the next Asda online shopping.

Lunch, grilled cheese on toast
    Dinner, pick over the last of the chicken, then adding a jar of Sweet & Sour to make dinner, with nuked packet rice
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Options
    I had the spinach ravioli (half the pack) yesterday with a green salad - letuce, cucumber and spring onions. It was quite nice, but I prefer the frozen lasagne I bought.

I am going to eat out in London today so I'm only going to have a small meal. I think wholemeal toast with salad again and maybe a couple of pieces of fruit. It looks like a mild and dry day again here.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Options
    Started reading this thread from the beginning in January. Just caught up. Interesting to see that several people are still on here having made it since before Covid. It has been really eye-opening to see how the prices have changed and how shopping habits changed due to Covid. PS I learned a lot as well. Keep up the good work.
    I was looking at an item the other day and thinking how expensive it was, maybe olive oil? I will eat cheap things like tinned potatoes, but I won't eat cheap brands of olive oil or peanut butter, for example! :D

Ocado is doing some quite good deals. They had a deal where you could buy breakfast foods, three items for £6. I got a pack of vegan bacon, a pack of vegan sausages and a nice peanut butter (Pip and Nut) and I thought that was good value as the PB on it's own is usually £3.30 - £3.50.

Aldi is very reasonable too. The only thing is I overbuy when I'm in there as it seems so cheap!

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Yes olive oil has really jumped though not just in the UK. I'm using a lot more EV rapeseed oil instead - this one is a decent price and works well in dressings etc. Kujawski Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil 1 Litre - Tesco Groceries
    Back to winter here today and very gloomy. I'm much less tender today so must catch up on some chores. Before anything else more tea is needed while I finalise tomorrow's Tesco order. Made a batch of cream of broccoli soup yesterday to use up a lurking head of broccoli so some of that for lunch. Dinner will be JO's sausage pasta.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yesterday turned out lovely in the afternoon and I enjoyed a nice stroll in the spring sunshine, unfortunately today is a total 180 and we are back to dull & windy with rain due soon

Freezer stocks are a bit tidier and I found some forgotten mortadella and that fancy olive bread so had those with some salady bits for lunch.

Also found my stash of mini cooking chorizo, so defrosted a couple overnight along with some turkey mince put them on to cook this morning, added some veg and black beans for a typical N2BT throw together chilli concoction.

Farway said:
    Brambling said:

Yep, needs fridge, shelf life about a fortnight so they say, but it's so yummy I think the shelf life is theoretical, and I need to eat it to reduce my chances of scurvy
    I've already added on offer lemons to the next Asda online shopping.

I love hm curd too Farway, far superior to shop bought. I once made a batch of lemon and my brother happened to visit the same day and took a jar away with him - his girlfriend reported later that he stood in her kitchen eating it with a spoon and devoured the whole small jar in a oner   :D

• justkeepswimmimg
    justkeepswimmimg Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Back to CFO properly today. Got back yesterday when lunch was a lovely homemade cheese, tomato and mustard sandwich that I was sent home with 😋. Was out to a voluntary meeting last night so made a quick tea of tuna and green bean pesto pasta.

Busy office day today, LO pasta with salad in a lunchbox was eaten at my desk between many meetings. Last portion of sweet potato and black bean chilli from the freezer tonight, with rice and dollop of greek yoghurt.

I’ve done a simple meal plan and a small shop to get me through to the weekend when I will have a proper catch up and get organised 🙃
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weenancy 👋

The Olive oil shortage is due to the weather in Spain and it seems they produce 50% of the world supply. I'm also using a good rapeseed oil to cook and I'm working through a an bottle of olive oil brought from a local garden which were offering BOFF for members last year in their shop and my sister and I split it.  I was going to say the price of butter has stabilised but I think it's because some of the more expensive named brands have dropped from 250g to 200g and stayed the same price. 

it's been a long work week and another busy day.  I finish on time as I was meeting friends to watch another NT live this one Motive and Cue it was a little long but I did enjoy it. 

I needed to use some portobello mushrooms and a freezer rummage produced some Italian sausage, so stuffed mushrooms for lunch 😋 as I was going out early a portion of beef casserole with dumplings from the freezer for dinner, not the most recent casserole as it had dumplings 😁
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a beautiful sunrise this morning - it was so nice to open the curtains to have sunshine pouring in the sitting room first thing.

I went out early to have a walk along the beachfront then home via the fish shop to get a piece of haddock for tea tonight and half a dozen local farm eggs.

Lunch is using up the last of the mortadella in a repeat of yesterday's and any leftover salad will be used with the breaded haddock at teatime.

And later for being sooo good and keeping it healthy I'll treat myself to a hot x bun (due to arrive in shopping delivery, rubs hands in glee :p )

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback