PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,259 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Frosty start but now just dull & damp
    Farway how is your sister doing?
    It's my daughter & family with CV, all on the mend now glad to say, never too sure with all this "long covid" talk if it could return sometime alter but fingers crossed
    greenbee said:
    @Farway - I'm not even seeing any slots to be picky about! I just get either 'fully booked' or 'unavailable' on Waitrose (my deliveries come from Petersfield), and Tesco (Winnall) is also fully booked. Ocado had some slots when I looked on Sunday morning. But I've decided to see how long I can manage before I actually NEED to stock up, as some of the freezer and cupboard contents are getting a little elderly...  

Oh, I've not bothered looking at W8rose since I bought a year delivery pass at Asda in Dec, maybe that's why I see loads of slots?
    However I can also see loads at Iceland but they do have a limited range so if you need something specific it may not be stocked
    PS, just checked on W8rose [it'll be Havant], despite me being on their priority list the first available is after 9pm on the 8 Feb :( Thank heavens I have alternatives

Meals today
    Lunch another PB baguette, getting into use up mode now as BB date is approaching, these are the XCFO stock
    I think with cheese & pickle filling
    Dinner, also in GBee mode and using some freezer stuff up, it'll be W8rose frozen liver & mash MFO, plus I'll steam some fresh cabbage & limp fresh carrots with some frozen green beans to make a meal of it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Glad your family are on the mend Farway, hopefully it will be a full and quick recovery.
    Heavy sleety rain here today and only just above freezing. Looks set to stay for a few days too!
    We really enjoyed the Balmoral Chicken last night, I decided to make a big one to slice rather than individual ones and that worked really well. There's some left which will be sliced for lunchtime sandwiches to have with the remaining HM tomato soup.
    Smoked Haddock fishcakes for us tonight, I cooked extra mash yesterday to make them, with a chive & parsley sauce using the poaching milk, roast broccoli and green beans. For no good reason I've not made fishcakes for ages so I'm looking forward to them.
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Good evening. Is it just me or are the days really all blending into one now 🙄? Damp, grey weather didn’t help my motivation today...at least the rain will wash the remaining snow away.

Lunch was a jacket spud and I made Thai red prawn curry for dinner (no leftovers ☺️)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good evening. Is it just me or are the days really all blending into one now 🙄? Damp, grey weather didn’t help my motivation today...at least the rain will wash the remaining snow away.
    I know what you mean JKS usual January blahs plus lockdown isn't a good mix at times :|

i managed to get one W8itrose delivery after they dropped their minimum spend but haven't any luck since with them. I have had 3 Iceland ones but the last couple have had loads missing I received a £5 voucher the first time as a we're sorry and a £8 one last time which I'm wondering if I cba to use especially as I'm not so keen on their F&V and as Farway said limited.  I'm lucky I can get out so feel I should try, I've used the farm shop and farmers market and paid a little extra for M&S which is quieter and the local T Exp or garage shop is handy for milk.  

Lunch was a egg and rocket pita.  Dinner a venison steak with bubble and squeak made with LO mash, kale and broccoli
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • threepenny_bit
    Options
    Sorry Farway; meant your daughter! So glad everyone is on the mend 
    EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,259 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another dull, grey, damp + misty day, to blend into all the rest as JKS spotted
    Luckily I acted accordingly yesterday & removed a pack of YS mince to defrost overnight.
    The mince is LBC [life before covid] Feb 2019, from Iceland, it was never an exciting life mooching round Iceland but I'd love to do it again, the death toll this morning makes it even more gloomy but hey ho I'm a glass half full person so looking forward to Spring now

I've just made a pre mix loaf in the Panny, it looks very tasty and will use for lunch, I think a cheese & cuc sarnie
    Dinner, the YS mince in a savoury mince concoction, using the very last of the bendy carrots and the subbed celery sticks
    Probably make some dumplings to go plop in it, and if I remember maybe use up the 2019 XCFO frozen braised cabbage & apple, fed up with looking at ti every time I go in the freezer
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone, 
    No it's not just you JKS, if it wasn't for the days of the week on my my meds blister pack I would have no idea!
    Dull and damp here but a tad milder.
    I'm repurposing LO chive and parsley sauce into a pot of soup for lunch with the addition of stock, 1/2 a head of broccoli, peas and LO mash as it was too tasty to waste but limited in it's uses as the smoked haddock had poached in it. It smells great so fingers crossed it tastes as good.
    Admin this after for my voluntary work to keep me out of mischief but apart from that I've no plans, what housework I'm doing has been done apart from dinner prep later. I've pork defrosting to made a slightly tweaked version of JO "Bejewelled BBQ pork" from the 7 ways book using loin instead of fillet and mixed rather than black beans as that's what I have and they should work just fine. 
  • caronc
    Options
    Soup was blooming gorgeous and there's enough left for lunch tomorrow (if my son doesn't snaffle it later lol)  :D
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Glad it’s not just me with the days ☺️

Farway, I have two tins of soup that I bought just before the first lockdown as emergency supplies. I might start calling them LBC soup...I have wondered about putting them and all the unused paracetamol in some kind of time capsule. I did manage to use the emergency gin and tonic though 😜

Freezer stash soup grabbed at lunchtime between meetings. Chicken, green bean, broccoli and pesto pasta tonight.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My emergency G&T was also utilised  ;)

I do like a repurposed success story Caronc hopefully you'll be a to reproduce it at a later date 🙂

Another wash and repeat day although I did manage to finish at 5pm today the 'extra' hour has thrown me but it was good to escape on time for a change but tomorrow will probably be 7pm.

lunch was the same as yesterday egg and rocket in a pita.  Dinner was cba which was probably a waste of my extra hour 😐 jacket potato with beans and cheese and salad

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback