PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just made a chick pea, mushroom n spinach balti, which tastes lush 😘
    Still having used my instant pot yet lol 🤣
    Am having it in a wrap later, as not hungry yet x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dull day again but I've plenty to get on with, trying to get my old phone up & running having forgotten the PIN and reset it I'm now going round in Google sign in circles and computer says no :s .
    I don't need the 'phone, just thought it would be a good idea to have a spare, how silly of me :|

Yesterday's savoury mince was OK, I suspect because the mince had been in the freezer for nearly two years all taste had long vanished.
    Luckily brown sauce solved obscured that problem
    Likewise the red cabbage & apple from 2019 XCFO, OK but not something I'll buy again
    At least the freezers are starting to get space in them now

Today is another use up from freezer day
    Lunch a cheapo fish fingers + tartare sauce sarnie
    Dinner, posh leek & cheese bangers, HM AF chips, fried eggs & some tinned Baked beans

I've started to notice the beans, Asda have an "odd" taste and I wonder if there have been subtle recipe changes?
    It's not unpleasant but just "odd". I may have to go up a price bracket to something like Branston beans just to check if it's me or them
    Be bit of a bu66er if so

Thought I'd mention that I'm now using a crinkly chip cutter because it gives lovely chips in the AF and minimum oil
    Not sure where I bought mine, probably some high class joint like middle of Lidl or £land
    It also does fancy carrots but I CBA
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone, 
    Oh crinkle cut chips Farway how lovely. I remember the excitement when my Mum bought a crinkle cutter at something like a Tupperware party and for weeks if it could be crinkled it was lol.
    I'm a great believer in rotating my cupboard stocks so of course the "emergency" G&T has been used and replaced (several times) as I wouldn't want it to go stale. ;)
    We are a vampire -free household after yesterdays pork dish which was topped with fried garlic slices, I could smell garlic on my skin this morning! It was lovely though and a definite make again. 
    HM soup again for lunch and either spag bol or bangers and beans for dinner.
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Oh yes, stock rotation is very important...and there’s nothing worse than stale tonic 😉

I have treated myself to takeaway home cooked dinner from a local enterprising lady so it’s curry here tonight.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I may have wandered over to the 'jungle' shop to look at crinkle cutters 🤫

Advantage of lockdown Caronc as much garlic as you want 🧛‍♂️ 

I hope you enjoyed the curry JKS 

I think my tablet is about to bite the dust  :s it is getting on a bit but the battery doesn't hold its charge for long and it takes a little wiggling of the cable to get it to charge.  I didn't replace my elderly laptop a couple of years ago when it died and I would prefer not to use my work one too much for personal stuff. I've also gotten use to using a tablet for basic stuff, some investigating needed and hopefully it will last until lockdown finishes but it could be touch and go 

A busy day at work, which meant working through lunch so I was prepared and lunch and dinner were both HM RMs from the freezer it also freed up some space 🙂  I made a half batch of cheese scones about 9pm last night (I found grated cheese in the freezer which I had to use  :* ) I had one for supper, one for breakfast and the last for lunch with a mug of HM tomato soup.  Dinner was a portion of lasagna with some lurking LO veg. I had thought it was mushroom lasagna but it was a traditional one, I'm sure there's a lurking mushroom one somewhere 🤔
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Baileys_Babe
    Options
    Brambling said:
    I think my tablet is about to bite the dust  :s it is getting on a bit but the battery doesn't hold its charge for long and it takes a little wiggling of the cable to get it to charge.  I didn't replace my elderly laptop a couple of years ago when it died and I would prefer not to use my work one too much for personal stuff. I've also gotten use to using a tablet for basic stuff, some investigating needed and hopefully it will last until lockdown finishes but it could be touch and go 

It sounds like a Chromebook or similar would suit your needs. We have a basic model my parents have a high end model with touch screen, 360° hinges and masses of other loveliness.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 January 2021 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Another wet day after a wet night, just a good job I had my gutters cleaned out yesterday :D , mine were the gutters with grass growing out of them you may have spotted out walking? :blush:
    Brambling said:
    I may have wandered over to the 'jungle' shop to look at crinkle cutters 🤫

Crinkle cutters can be addictive, as someone pointed out  everything gets crinkled once you start
    My tablet must be in sync with yours, mine only has only 16Gb of internal storage so keep getting "full" messages  :( despite having fitted SD card seems no way to move stuff over, one of the problems of buying things & not knowing anything about them at the time
    Chromebook has appeared on my replacement radar but I'm hesitant, mainly installing apps from G00gle Playstore, seems some do & some don't, one of those things the more I look the more I get bemused and head goes back into the sand

One thing I can be sure of today is CFO
    Lunch, I've taken a small LO lump of roast beef out to defrost, which will be in a sarnie with some horseradish sauce
    Dinner, I have LO savoury mince to nuke
    Plus I've taken a tub of last summer's stewed blackberry & apple out to defrost, which I may just eat as is, or if I CBA bung a crumble topping on it
    Either way it will be accompanied by instant custard which by coincidence is at BB this month

Gradually making freezer & cupboard space
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not got a crinkle cutter, but did get a julienne peeler last week, which is fab for shredding veg n salad .
    Also managed to snaffle a free wok from ICELAND, with Mr Ben products 😉
    Still haven't worked out,   my Pressure King Pro yet .Cba at the mo 😊
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone, 
    My gadgets abound in CFO land, I may have a few myself and both my kids have inherited my love for all things kitchen related.  :)
    Damp, cold and grey here today. Tesco have not long been and my groceries have been put away, so time for a cuppa before we head to the fishmongers when my son breaks for lunch. My son has a notion for mussels which sadly I've become intolerant to :( so I'll see what else they have to tempt me for dinner tonight. AF HM skinny fries will feature no doubt and if I CBA (probably not) I might make some mayo. It's "pay day" today after what feels like a very long month so I fancy a treat. Lunch when we get back will either be a toastie or beans on toast.
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Last night’s curry was lovely. Will definitely order again at some point, supporting local enterprises is very important 😉

Had some of the samosas for lunch today and then made fajitas using leftover (obviously) roast beef from the freezer. As I was naughty and had a glass of wine last night, I refrained this evening 😇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback