PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Hard boiled egg again for lunch as I cooked extra yesterday.

I've got a gadget for those... so choose one, or four eggs.
    Usually I just do one as that's what I want.... but if I'm doing two I'll use the 4-egg gadget and so have two in the fridge. Usually that'd be in the summer, with egg/cucumber sandwiches in mind, or egg/salad cream.

I do like having the option of just cooking one though, without it being a thought overhead.

1: Nuke, 7 minutes on half power
    4: Nuke, 10 minutes on full power.

Although the 4-egg one is a poor design as it's egg shaped, so tricky to get out of the nuker safely/guaranteed every time as you're manhandling something that's got half a mug of boiling water in it, that could easily be "dropped" on your foot. It's big egg-shaped, so the bottom portion, with the water in, is tapered... and it's smooth/round, so just a tricky shape with extraction space/options at a premium.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61eTmAsR7DL._SL1500_.jpg
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a gadget I need PN but handy if you want to nuke boil eggs.
    I usually cook at least two as in a pan they take the same amount of time to cook.
    Broth mix and stock are being pressure cooked - I best get veg chopping for stage 2:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,368 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 February 2020 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Poridge & a sunny start to the day, dentist first thing, just a check up, passed OK, bit worrying he's now mentioning oiking out a wisdom tooth, apperntly I could catch food in there. Bu66er that, it's worked just fine for about 60 years thank you:eek:

Popped into Morries as it's on way home from dentist, not been in there for a while. I was on a promise of 4000 extra points if spending over £20, reckoned I could do that as I "wanted" some garden plants anyway and now I have some small pansies to sort out in the next few days

As it happens they had beef joints on half price offer, £6 kilo, I bought quite a large one, which I'll pot roast in time for this weekend's storm CIARA.

I may portion the joint up fresh and freeze some, or may not, depends how I feel at the weekend

Plus 2.5K of wonky spuds @ £1, looked fine to me. I've peeled & chipped a couple ready for tonight's dinner

Lunch was cheese & [new] cuc sarnie

Dinner, more of the cheese pud, with wonky spud chips in the AF, + salad . Brambling My AF also has times in minutes & degrees up to 200, but 200 C works for most things I suspect, like nukers & washing machines, just bung them on max;)

Waiting on the arrival of a package, it'll probably fit letter box but ears peeled [not allowed to !!!!! them up on MSE:)] just in case

PS, I see the forum is being "improved" tomorrow, hope it works & I see you all on the other side
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good deal on the beef Farway unfortunately we don't have a Morrison close to us and the nearest has just closed after only 5 years

I'm another one who boils eggs on the stove, I've visions of exploding eggs if I try to microwave them, and the last time I tried to poach them they turned into squash balls :o

Wednesday i picked up some 'blush' oranges YS in W8itrose lunch time :D

Lunch was the last of the chicken soup and dinner will be a lazy beef cheek ragu from the freezer

It seems if you announce to the office that 'I'm spartacus' half will join in or say 'I'm Brian' and the other half look like you are mad :rotfl:

see you all on the dark side tomorrow
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    The new forum is a bit weird. I've lost my cat avatar!
    I didn't have much to eat yesterday and I had an early night so I have been eating non-stop today! I've had two sandwiches, crisps, a pear and a smoothie and it's only midday.

I'm going out to eat tonight so I had better not have any more food before I go out if I can help it.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,188 Forumite
    Options
    They did tell us we would lose our avatar, his lordship has disappeared to  :'(
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,485 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2020 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Brambling said:
    They did tell us we would lose our avatar, his lordship has disappeared to  :'(

Oh, I didn't know that. I was trying to put a new pic on there but couldn't work out how to do it.

Grr, I just got a call about the cafe I was supposed to be going to tonight has closed down as all the staff have come down with a virus!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    So we're back! I never had a picture to lose so no harm done! I'm sure I'll get used to new look but I feel all fingers and thumbs at the moment. It's bitterly cold here today and beginning to get quite windy - "Ciara" is due to hit properly around lunchtime tomorrow and it looks as though we are in for a manky few days. Yesterday's scotch broth was delicious though I never got round to making dumplings , the latter part of the day seemed to run away from me so I ended up toasting a pitta to have with it. Lunch will be some more of it. Dinner is still in the tbc category.
     I see it's easier to add pictures now so as a "test" here's a picture of the cheese pudding I made last week ;)
  • cornishchick
    Options
    caronc said:
    Not a gadget I need PN but handy if you want to nuke boil eggs.
    I usually cook at least two as in a pan they take the same amount of time to cook.
    Broth mix and stock are being pressure cooked - I best get veg chopping for stage 2:)

I have perfected the perfect boiled eggs, I bring to the boil and once boiling for about 5 minutes  tottaly forget about them  :D and 40 minutes later rush in and save them.. or I remember to turn off the heat and just leave them sitting in the hot water till I get the impetus to go sort them lol
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,368 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Back again, all bit weird but no doubt I'll get used to it, as 24 hours have passed I can't remember if I had an avatar or not. Just gone looking for emoticons for a blushing face, no idea where they are either. :|found some :)
    Frosty morning, L's first thing, found YS Extra mature cheddar, BBE March, loads of time for me to scoff it. Plus bought blood oranges as mentioned & my memory triggered, 5 in my 99p pack
    lunch was LO & last of the cheese pud, eaten cold, it's fine for me
    Taken a gammon steak out to defrost for tonight's dinner, I'll grill that alongside a slightly wrinkled tom, plus fried eggs, mushrooms fried in EVO + butter, plus HM AF chips
    I bought jumbo !!!!!! on offer in L's but plenty of use by date left, could be another FF sarnie on the horizon
    Practice picture posting, Chichester cathedral last Sunday, oops, came out larger than I thought, more blushing

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure