PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've had toast and Marmite and two Linda McC vegan sausage rolls.

I made patatas bravas the other night and had leftover tomato sauce so I did two lots of penne pasta. I will have one later and then one lot for lunch tomorrow.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 February 2020 at 6:57PM
    Options
    I'm going out in a bit to view a place I know I don't really want and I wouldn't be likely to get even if I did want it.

Mad, eh?

... so, while I'm out, I'll pop into the Iceland 'food warehouse', which is just a big Iceland. I'll also pop into Mr T. I might pop into B&M. I might pop into 4ldi/L1dl.

All of this depends on the weather, my mood, how I feel, whether I've found something I fancy and can't wait to eat it.....

I've nothing special I'm getting, just a mooch round, couple of items on the "if you spot it/get it" list ... and some frozen dinners and fizzy pop.

It's just one of those cases of "I'm passing and have nothing better to do + I'd like some fizzy pop, so might as well amble along and take in as many shops as I can before I am food shop-fatigued".

I expect to come home with kebab meat, flatbreads, mac cheese, curry/rice, lasagne... and probably some frozen chips.... oh and pouch rices and Mr T's cheapo pot noodles... and a couple of tins of peas.

EDIT: Didn't go in as many shops as planned as the weather was vile, roads flooded, it was dark/couldn't see much out there, traffic everywhere, but I did discover a new Home Bargains, so slid in there and came out with lots of sweeties (3 bags). I also picked up six rice pouches (49p each) and a small glass cooking bowl (like Pyrex) as it was only £1.49. I've got a large glass Pyrex and had wanted a medium and a small, so now got the small... hadn't intended to get one until I got my next house, but figured at £1.49 why not.

From Iceland I got 30 fishcakes, 48 cans of fizzy pop, 4 scones, a pack of flatbreads (I realised I'd not be bothering with other shops, so might as well get theirs), 2 2-packs of garlic/coriander naans, a 3-pack of trifles ... and I think that was it.

I've just scoffed a trifle, first food of the day. I'll be having a couple of fishcakes in a flatbread later, with a splash of chilli ketchup.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Oh I love patas bravas:) Wednesday ideally with a good splash of aioli, I've used any spare sauce (and spuds) as the basis of a chickpea, lentil & spinach casserole before which worked well.
    The North wind doth blow..... Well actually it's a North Easterly and it's hail & sleet so far! It's still mighty horrible out and perishing. I'm very glad that I'm unexpectedly CFO as my son's job tomorrow got postponed due to a leak flooding the premises he was going to. Thankfully he found out before he set off and it's been put back a week. There will be LO shepherd's pie though, never a bad thing in my book and there is actually some freezer space the excess can go in :cool:.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bambi has a nicer ring to it Caronc and I'm about as graceful as bambi was on ice at the best of times :cool: it's a lot better today as long as no sudden movements and I managed to clean my bathroom when I got home tonight :) yes I know the boiler engineer won't notice the floor wasn't washed this weekend but I would know :cool:

Hope your lurgy stays away Farway

I like the occasional cooked breakfast as a lunch, the strawberry farm near us have a farm shop and cafe and do a very nice one with good quality bacon and sausages :). Where we had our bacon butty on Saturday they were doing a good trade in eggs benedict with avocado rather than ham and it looked really good :)

This week at work started the same as last one, with the same major IT issues, when fixed heads will roll, I'm told the chief Exe has alway let his feelings known. I'm working from home tomorrow morning when the boiler is serviced so will miss the muttering when my colleagues can't log in for an hour again :cool:

Lunch was HM chicken soup, dinner was kedgeree with the last of the spinach wilted in, candles have been lit as smoked haddock, curry and eggs are a whiffy combination :eek: the gammon I had last night was very nice but although it said serve 2-3 it would have been 3 very small portions, W8itrose and M&S gammons definitely seem to stretch more but this Sainsbobs one tasted as good as theirs. LOs of that will be tomorrow's dinner
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Bambi has a nicer ring to it Caronc and I'm about as graceful as bambi was on ice at the best of times :cool: it's a lot better today as long as no sudden movements
    Good to hear - sudden movements are the enemy Brambling so yep best avoided!! Slow and steady definitely is the way to go. I find a pillow "nest" to stop sudden head movements when you're sleeping really helpful. ;)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good to hear - sudden movements are the enemy Brambling so yep best avoided!! Slow and steady definitely is the way to go. I find a pillow "nest" to stop sudden head movements when you're sleeping really helpful. ;)

Thanks Caronc I'll raid the spare bed tonight, and persuade his lordship they're mine :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had wholemeal toast with houmous and hemp seeds sprinkled on top and a cup of tea.

I just cleaned the kitchen window frames. They were very grubby!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 February 2020 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Yesterday, in h0me b4rg41ns, I was "pleased" to discover their pouch rices at just 49p, so stocked up....

I always made my own rice and didn't like the texture of the pouch stuff, but they've been a great storecupboard item for me to just nuke and scoff easily under present conditions and maybe the horrid texture was other/dearer brands I tried in the past. Just because something's dearer/branded it doesn't make it better :)

The ones I got yesterday were different flavours to the norm, to some degree, but I can't work out who the manufacturer is. I've got egg fried, savoury chicken, spicy mexican, tikka (2 of those) and mediterranean.

I looked on the HB website, they don't show up as a search result. If anything, the brand name is "Rice", which is rubbish as a brand name.

Of yesterday's mismatched food grabs I polished off yesterday:
    1/ flatbread with 2 fishcakes + chilli ketchup
    2/ two flatbreads, just on their own (too lazy to even pop fishcakes in those!)
    3/ most of the wine gums.
    4/ one individual strawberry trifle.

Today I've had:
    1/ flatbread with 2 fishcakes + chilli ketchup
    2/ a few more wine gums
    3/ two chocolates.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had some salt and vinegar crisps and then for lunch I had some of those cheap packet noodles with frozen veg - carrots, green beans, peas and sweetcorn. I sliced some spring onions on top and added a splash of tamari.

It's surprising how nice those cheap noodles are!:A
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,325 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wind doth blow here as well Caron, cuts right through, but it's dry at least

L's first thing, nothing YS of course, but did find onions on offer which was handy as I'm nearly out, and one can never have too many onions

Lunch a long desired fish fingers sarnie, using the new AF. Worked well, the !!!!!! are in batter not crumbs and they crisped up well, about 20 mins but I think a tad longer would be crispier.

One thing I miss is not being able to peer at the food without opening the tray, a minor inconvenience really

Due to zero YS in L's I've decided to try out the Cheese Pudding as per Caron. for tonight's dinner. All ingredients in stock, including stale bread

Depending how it goes it''l be either salad or chips with it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback