PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dull, damp & misty morning, my one bit of exercise today will be chucking the tea leaves on the garden

Caron, well done to your son, always good to be recognised for hard work, and helps on the CV I expect

Update on vegan sausage rolls, they do have after affects, shall we politely say good job I'm CFO:o:o.

If in company blame the dog / cat:D

Diced fresh apple in this morning's porridge
    Lunch ??????

Dinner, thinking of opening my two pack of L's offer gammon steaks, so grilled GS, HM chips, mushrooms & tomato.

Could be same tomorrow because I'm out at a meeting PM and it'll be easiest to just repeat given the pack will then be open and needing using up
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Yes a definite boon for his CV Farway:)
    Thanks for the good wishes Brambling - yes skint nephews are definitely useful;)
    Said son was out until the early hours and hasn't surfaced yet. He's not usually much of a drinker so I'm expecting him to be a tad fuzzy headed today after two nights out in a row.
    I've no real plans for today apart from cooking Sunday dinner and doing a bit more sorting out in the kitchen. If I cba (unlikely) I might tackle some ironing.
  • Hello all, yes my SC is just a small one but I have found as I get older I eat smaller portions (why am I still fat??) I will be at DD for Xmas day but no idea what else over the period as she will have to go south to in-laws, I will not actually be alone as my son will be instructed to come and see me, hopefully grown up grandsons will be around and if so will op in. Have a friend who will be working Boxing Day but I am sure will op in after work and neighbiurs will be keeping an eye on me too as I still will not be able to drive. Have plenty of ready cooked meals in freezers for using after operation but cannot get a prawn ring yet and not much room in freezers for "special" foods. None of this will kill me I know, its just the "I fancy some....." thats missing.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pattypan4 wrote: »

Is anyone else on here likely to be on their own christmas day or between that and new year? Just asking because I am wondering how to cater for myself, to make that week less mundane and a bit more festive. I have bought a few nibbles and just now have ordered a few solo ready meals from cookfood.
    I usually am alone the entire time... but as I've no home at all, this year I will be foisting myself upon somebody.

I make a Xmas dinner for me and get some bits and bobs in. The trouble is you can't just buy everything you fancy as you can't get through it all :)

I never have breakfast, nor starters, nor desserts, nor a tea-time meal. I just cook a 1 course Xmas Dinner and scoff nibbles.

I usually cook: turkey breast, xmas stuffing, yorkshire, roast spuds, roast parsnips, brussels and other veggies (different each year). Sometimes there's a couple of cocktail sausages (pigs, no blankets).

One year I made an additional nut roast from scratch too, then I bought a pack from Holland/Barrett in case I wanted one (which I didn't, so that is in storage now). I'd like cauli cheese, but it's one more thing to find room for, so I've never bothered.

Nibbles include: A chocolate Santa, a box of L1dl extremely chocolatey biscuits, a couple of multi packs of crisps, mint matchmakers.

I've been known to make a trifle one year and buy one the following year.

It is difficult seeing all those food adverts knowing you can't actually buy those things as you've already enough "just with the basics" and you'd have too much food overload....

Just make a list of what you'd like.... then be picky about what you choose so you don't get sick of it.
  • pattypan4
    Options
    That was helpful PN. It makes me more likely to actually make a similar dinner. Those green bags from lakeland are very useful for keeping veg nice and fresh for quite a long time, they can be washed and used over and over. I can buy a bag of sprouts for example and keep dipping into it if I use a green bag. So I went to MnS today and at last found the small portions of cheese that I have been looking for and also got pickled walnuts in sainsbury. I want to be done and dusted before the panicing hoards crowd the shops
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I woke up very late today and I've just had two Linda McC sausages with grilled toms in a pitta bread.

I will be running down the fridge, freezer and cupboards this week as we have so much food!

I will only need to buy loo rolls and kitchen rolls and will hopefully not be ordering any groceries until next weekend.

I think I will make spag bol with veggie mince later on today to use up some of the mince and the last of the black olives and red onions.:)
    caronc wrote: »

I am an extremely proud mammy, my younger son won the "Young Engineer of 2019" award for his region yesterday.:D:D He looked very smart in his dinner suit clutching his trophy and certificate and grinning like the cheshire cat.

Wow, well done!!!:T:T:T
  • Farway
    edited 24 November 2019 at 4:40PM
    Options
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    . So I went to MnS today and at last found the small portions of cheese that I have been looking for and also got pickled walnuts in sainsbury.

At last, another lover of pickled walnuts, I thought I was alone on here:j I bought my XCFO supply in W8rose when on offer last month, I've opened a jar for quality control testing :D Passed OK

Small posh cheeses are in L's if there's one near you.

Sometimes I strike lucky in the likes of Asda etc & find YS bashed selected cheeseboards but of course that method cannot be relied on

Lunch was cheese triangle on toast

Dinner, spuds peeled & chipped ready for Actifry.

I had a peer into the Actifry to see if I could spot cause of recent odd noise, I was hoping to find a chip or similar stuck in the fan / vents

No such luck, but I've given it a good shake to get any LO fried odds & sods out of it's innards.

Being a [STRIKE]tight 4rse [/STRIKE] MSE I'm loath to buy a replacement unless it really fails on me
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not that I don't like pickled walnuts Farway it's just I've never tasted them maybe if I see them at a good price:)

I got my sewing machine out this afternoon to try and get some sewing done i promised my sister, it was grey and damp so another stay in day. If she's lucky I'll get it finished by Christmas :D

I made a quick all in one cheese sauce (without needing to scrub the saucepan) for the LO cauliflower and had cauliflower cheese for lunch, making more LOs which will do for lunch tomorrow, it won't be quite as nice as today but it was a big cauliflower :cool:

Dinner was pan fried salmon with air fried chips and slightly weird addition of LO red cabbage and cranberries (there's still some left). I'll have the left over beef and veg tomorrow night
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Cheese & ham toasties for lunch - not quite figured out the correct mustard yet. Polish is too fruity, English (Colman's) maybe a little too strong, might have to go back to some form of Dijon

Cheese & ham & mushroom toasties for breakfast. In terms of mustard Grey Poupon Dijon is working the best, it's a little brighter than the Maille Dijon which makes all the difference. So, from the bottom: Slice of 50/50, thin layer of Dijon, slice of Emmental, slice of Yorkshire Cure Ham, half a mushroom thinly sliced, slice of Emmental, slice of 50/50

Anyone else have a definite top/bottom preference in a sandwich ? For me, the mustard/relish needs to be near the top (unlike the toastie I just mentioned where it's better on the bottom)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Options
    Dull & wet again, hope it clears a bit after lunch because I'm going to a volunteers meeting this afternoon

Usual porridge breakfast, with sliced banana & honey, but now I have a real first world problem.

I saw a piece that T8sco honey may not be 100% honey, maybe added sugar

I don't use their honey, mine's L's, but that didn't stop donkeys turning up in various SM pies did it?

The thought has now been put in my mind and I've decide to go local ethical with honey, so I'm on the search.

I know it costs [a lot] more but for the amount I use it's fine with me, and hopefully supporting a local beekeeper, just need to find one now without having to drive miles
    I've seen jars in my greengrocers so that may be the quick solution

Lunch I fancy sort of ploughman's, it'll have to be without the crusty bread as I don't have any:D

Dinner, quick & easy repeat of yesterday, grilled gammon, tom, chips, mushrooms & fried eggs. I thoroughly enjoyed it yesterday
    Brambling wrote: »
    I made a quick all in one cheese sauce (without needing to scrub the saucepan) for the LO cauliflower and had cauliflower cheese for lunch, making more LOs which will do for lunch tomorrow, it won't be quite as nice as today but it was a big cauliflower :cool:

Just what I've been fancying, but I not spotted nice enough cauli lately. The search continues
    Brambling wrote: »
    Dinner was pan fried salmon with air fried chips
    I think this may be Tuesday dinner unless L provides a YS surprise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback