PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've had baked beans on the last two slices of toast.:)

I need to go and buy bread, wine and feed the birds.
    Farway wrote: »

Lunch I've decided to sample the Iceland vegan sausage rolls, trial before XCFO.

I'll report back, per Kg they are much cheaper then Linda McC's and vegan so should be fine with the intolerance folks

Oh yes, tell me what they are like. The vegan burgers are very nice from Iceland.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lunch of the vegan sausage rolls over, the jury's out still.

I found they left a greasy taste on my lips but would need a real meat one to taste & compare at same time

I tried one cooked but cold, same slight greasy after taste. I think I prefer animal based ones TBH. But may not be fair comparison as I only eat about a dozen sausage rolls annually and thus I'm not a good guide to them

Rain's still tipping down, spud is baking in the oven, only needs cheese grating & salad prepping then dinner is go
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    Is anyone else on here likely to be on their own christmas day or between that and new year? Just asking because I am wondering how to cater for myself, to make that week less mundane and a bit more festive. I have bought a few nibbles and just now have ordered a few solo ready meals from cookfood.

A fair few of us are, I'm one between Christmas & NY period
    Last year I went a bit more festive foods, smoked salmon, ham to pick at when delving in 'fridge, assorted cheeses, fancy biscuits, pick at chocs
    Even bought a 3 bird, or was it fish? roast which was rubbish, and a veggie meat loaf, which is still in the freezer:o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pattypan4
    Options
    That is pretty well what I am aiming at farway, I might get a few small cheeses next week and some special biscuits for cheese.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Lunch of the vegan sausage rolls over, the jury's out still.

I found they left a greasy taste on my lips but would need a real meat one to taste & compare at same time

I tried one cooked but cold, same slight greasy after taste. I think I prefer animal based ones TBH. But may not be fair comparison as I only eat about a dozen sausage rolls annually and thus I'm not a good guide to them

I really liked the Gregg's vegan sausage roll at first but now I find them too greasy.

I do like the LindaMcC ones.

Tesco do small vegan sausage rolls, less than £2 for a bag of 30. They are really nice!:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I might get a few small cheeses next week
    I'm slowly collecting cheeses but find it odd that a lot of the specials for Christmas have a BBE around mid December, I suppose hoping we'll go & buy another lot.

Failed in my case as I leave them on the shelf and will buy when BBE date is 2020

I know cheese keeps but CBA to play their games when waiting a couple of weeks will resolve it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just had a veggie burger in a bun with roasted brussels on the side.
    Is anyone else on here likely to be on their own christmas day or between that and new year? Just asking because I am wondering how to cater for myself, to make that week less mundane and a bit more festive. I have bought a few nibbles and just now have ordered a few solo ready meals from cookfood.

I like fairy lights, I have them up all year round. :) Have you thought about going to a local carol concert?

I haven't bothered putting up my tree for a while but I think I will this year.:A
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use to have a small SC, it might even be lurking at the back of a cupboard but it's 30+ years old and hasn't been used for years I sometimes find it frustrating as I felt it was too small to make it worth while. Having said that the bigger one I was given SH I very rarely use as it's too big :cool:

Pattypan I'm on my own between Christmas and new year, I'm working a couple of days from home. I try and get some nicer food than usual, I try not to get chocolate or sweets unless I'm entertaining and then I get a small amount. It's things like nice smoked salmon rather than trimmings or a nice steak, lamb steak or seafood. For me it's having more time to cook it and make it more special even if it's just for one :). Oh and there's some nice cheeses and crackers as well :rotfl:

Grey and wet day so I only went as far as the local farm shop cafe with my sister for lunch and a [STRIKE]gossip[/STRIKE] catch up other than that it's been a pottering day. Lunch was smoked salmon pate and toast (we left before being tempted by their delicious cakes)

I roasted a small YS beef joint and had with root veg mash (carrot, swede, celeriac & parsnip) red cabbage with cranberries and cauliflower, I cba to make Yorkshire puddings just for me. There is also a lack of condiments theme going on this week as there was just enough horseradish for tonight :cool: LO will have to be with mustard or piccalilli, it was a very small joint so only two generous portions.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

whmf - it's me that recently acquired a "baby" 1.5 L SC. So far I've only used it for two portion meals as that's suited me but it would work very well for single portions too I would imagine. It does seem to cook faster than my larger SCs but I do really like it.

pattypan - I think if you have some CFO meals ordered then picky bits might be the way to go. Do you have a decent deli anywhere near you as these can be good for picking up small amounts of pate etc. where you might want a bit but not a whole tub/pack to wade through. Our local one has a minimum portion of 50g on their pate, cheeses and cooked meats which is ideal for CFO. I know you love sweet things so pehaps some individual chocolates would be good without you feeling that you are over indulging. Equally if what you fancy is slobbing out with a tub of pringles, a family sized bar of dairy milk in front of the TV then go for it.:cool:

I am an extremely proud mammy, my younger son won the "Young Engineer of 2019" award for his region yesterday.:D:D He looked very smart in his dinner suit clutching his trophy and certificate and grinning like the cheshire cat. He arrived here late afternoon and is now off to the pub with his pals, I suspect he might have a fuzzy head in the morning but I've all the stuff needed to make him a restorative fry up!

My nephew came round earlier and did two solid hours of cleaning for me, my conservatory roof joists are gleaming as are my high shelves and cupboards. What a lot of[STRIKE] junk[/STRIKE]:o:o pre-loved stuff came out of the cupboards. I've had a good sort through and a load of stuff will be taken for recycling or to a CS tomorrow. It did solve the mystery of where my baking beans and electric carving knife had got to though.:) I've kept the beans but the knife is going as it must be over 10 years since I last used it.

Lunch was cheese & tomatoes on toast and around 5pm I had a small piece of my son's fish supper so I'm not that hungry now. If I'm peckish later I'll nuke some HM soup or make some scrambled egg. I've taken a pork leg joint out to defrost for dinner tomorrow, it's ages since I've had roast pork and crackling.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    I enjoyed my solo xmases back in the day. I'd usually wake up with a mild hangover, xmas dinner would usually be whatever I bought at the supermarket last thing on xmas eve, usually a big joint of beef (when a last minute commando raid for what is now YS was a relatively unknown thing). Then I'd settle down and do my (paper) tax return. Evening probably back to the pub.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The boy done good Caronc:D

And nephews are useful creatures :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback